Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pricing and the Albion

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A somewhat rare serious post from me, having read the numerous posts complaining about the pricing on match day tickets, programmes and in-Amex catering.

I can understand it - we all like a bargain and don't like paying more for something than we feel we have to, but I think some people are forgetting a few things....

- Tony Bloom has pumped in excess of £120m into the Albion, most notably to build the Amex itself.

- Tony Bloom continues to personally support the club, from the further seats that are in use for the first time tonight, the extra seats still to come and the training facility that we all hope will produce the Albion stars of tomorrow, even some of the exciting players we have all enjoyed over the last year.

- If Tony Bloom's financial support ended with the building of the Amex itself, we would not have a squad to compete in the top half of the Championship today.

- Ultimately, however, the Albion needs to be self-sustaining. We don't want to be "the next Pompey" in a few years time - looking back regrettably at gross financial mismanagement of the Albion that could threaten the very existence of the club itself.

- In short, things need to be paid for somehow.

What this doesn't mean though, is that we should accept a poor quality product or service. Gripes on that level are always valid and I'm sure the club will always be receptive as to how things can be improved. But people need to understand that "improved" does not always mean "made cheaper".

(Oh, and do yourself a favour and always use your smartcard when you purchase something, so you can take an immediate 10% off the published price)

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
That's all well and good... but luxuries like watching football, buying programs, beer and pies, and these things are luxuries, are always stacked against the cost of living, confidence in your own personal financial situation, etc... and the across the board rises on many fronts will certainly push some people to think twice.

'Improved' may well mean that you need to sell your product to a different clientele... which will mean leaving some behind.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Yes, that's all very well for those fans that can afford it. There are going to be a lot of long established and loyal supporters who are feeling the pinch in these hard economic times who can just about cover the current season ticket prices - who knows how long they will be able to sustain future increases.
Bloom has invested a lot of money in a quest for the premiership but I don't think we should kid ourselves that his motives are purely from a supporter's perspective. He will sell if and when the time and return suit him.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
There are things that need to be paid for as opposed to being ripped off however there is a choice on catering and beer - you can eat before a game and get pissed as well if required cheaper

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Attendances & matchday income have been far higher than projected - this season we will be making even more profit than last season with more people attending games - so why is everything increasing in price despite this? It's not as if we have an overly impressive playing budget.

My take was costs spiralled out of control last season so not sure on the profit part

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Thank you, a reality check (although I think your message will be wasted on the dull-witted, the cloud-cuckoo-land dwellers or the habitual moaners that post on here).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Attendances & matchday income have been far higher than projected - this season we will be making even more profit than last season with more people attending games - so why is everything increasing in price despite this? It's not as if we have an overly impressive playing budget.

Profit? The club is being support by Tony Bloom's pocket.

Tony Bloom has without doubt had a massive impact on securing our future.

However he has also done it as a businessman and it is a fine dividing line between getting a fair return and potentially alienating fans.

I personally don't see how a 15% increase in a popular product can be justified and therefore won't be making the same spend as last year which is somewhat counter productive in terms of the club earning more revenue. They may well still get a good take up but perhaps it could have been handled better from a PR and pricing point of view.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Haven't you answered your own question? I mean, ignoring everyone else pointing out how we're not so much in profit, even if we were, and we don't have an impressive playing budget, wouldn't the increased prices improve the budget?

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I agree people have to expect higher prices the further up the league ladder we climb, but there does reach a point when people simply just can't afford to pay the higher prices, not just a case of not wanting to.

Personally I think the current prices should be the absolute maximum we pay whilst being a Championship club. After the initial disappointment with the increase, when you take the 10% off for using your card it's still an acceptable figure. BUT, they have to get their act together with regards the service as well for these new prices to be justified.

Lowering the variety of goods available is still a disappointment though.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I certainly don't resent the club's ambition to maximise revenue and to meet its costs.

All I'm saying is that my income is DOWN this year and the season ticket is stretching me quite a lot. For that reason I'm not buying programmes this year, or using the catering in the stadium, and that would be the case even if the prices were unchanged.

Congratulations to all those who can continue to afford these things.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
There are things that need to be paid for as opposed to being ripped off however there is a choice on catering and beer - you can eat before a game and get pissed as well if required cheaper

Which is what I shall be doing. Prices last season were SPOT ON. £5 for a pie and soft drink before the game, £3.80 for a good quality pint in a glass after the game.

A 10% increase in prices will see me eating at home before the game (which I used to do at Withdean, and will happily do this season), and may pick up a few beers from the Supermarket after the game.

For a club that is trying to promote supporters to arrive early and leave later, they aren't doing a great job at convincing me to do so.

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003

I don't think anyone can answer this without looking at the balance sheet and P&L account.
Attendances are impressive and probably better than most people expected, but when running a business it's as important, or often even more so, to keep expenses under control.
Do you know how much security cost in relation to the budget? How much beer increased since last year? Someone earlier today mentioned the cost of paper to print the programmes, the minimum wage keeps rising etc etc.
It's so easy to knock price rises, but don't you think the club want to keep them as low as possible?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
So what would have happened if we were in league one with average attendances of around 12k?

The attendances were far greater than projected, as were the sales of pies & pints and all the rest.

You just need to do the maths to realise that, if we deduct TB's loan repayments, the club would be making massive profit.

What else to the club's Profit & Loss sheets tell you?

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Totally agree BOZZA, none of my complaints have been about pricing but about crap service (WSU last season) and diminishing lack of choice this season (Kronenbourg dropped from menu and lack of edible alternatives to pies).

:bhasign:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here