Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Price of fish n chips / takeaway

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
My local chippy used to be the busiest in town, on a Fridat night between around 5ish to 6ish they were queueing out the door, now they only seem to cook to order and the warming cabinet is literally empty - they close by 9 too.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

scooter1

How soon is now?
as has been mentioned, the chip shop at the top of Hangleton Way closed unexpectedly and unexplained a while ago. That place was great and we could phone our order through to Sandra and pick it up freshly cooked 15 mins later. We’ve been to Bankers a couple of times, but it is expensive and the fish isn’t great. Bankers chicken is nice, but it sells out quickly. F & C is no longer the cheap meal it used to be, 3 of us get dinner for around £23. Currently we go to the place in Portslade village

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Had a delivery from Old Nicks in Worthing last night, it’s the first time in ages we have had any form of takeaway. Prices just don’t justify it anymore.

Large cod and chips and large jumbo battered sausage and chips £16.95.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Appreciate costs have gone up but at £30 plus for 2 of us have it very rarely now

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Until recently my daughter worked for the local chippy which does good business - always big queues at weekends and not far from the seafront so plenty of summer trade.

Talking to the owner, he told me that his wholesale prices for the fish, potatoes and even things like sausages keep going up and there is only so much he can absorb before he has to put his own prices up. Energy bills are also hitting him hard. He knows a lot of his customers are pensioners so tries to keep costs down but ultimately, it is his business and he has to make a living.

He has just stopped opening on Tuesdays as the energy costs don't make it cost effective for him to open.

The comment about smaller portions is something you see across food and retail now. Pack sizes in supermarkets are getting smaller so it doesn't look like prices have gone up as much. In restaurants, portion control is very much a thing. You might find that your pizza has slightly less topping now - for example, taking off a couple of bits of pepperoni won't make much difference to you but across 100 pizzas it all adds to the savings.
Yep. We have noticed our previously amazing local Chinese takeaway is now selling what is basically a tray of onions and sauce instead of the lovely dishes it used to sell. All for approximately the same price. We have stopped going. By contrast in our brilliant chippy the cost of 2 large fish and chips, mushy peas and gravy has risen this past year from around 20 to 25 quid but the quality has remained as good as ever. We still go there and the queues remain as long as ever. For those saying it is too expensive think what you spend at football or in the pub. It’s all about choices.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Prices extortionate in Chichester too.

We don't eat meat or fish so just get some chips and do our own vegan battered sausage + mushy peas so it's only £3.40 for a large chips to share.

The prices have gone up almost exponentially over the past two years for fish though it seems.

Hovegull

Nov 27, 2022
I guess with wholesale prices being so high, these guys need to make money somehow. Fish and oil are mega expensive these days, no different to what you’d pay in the supermarket for a proper piece of fish.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I guess with wholesale prices being so high, these guys need to make money somehow. Fish and oil are mega expensive these days, no different to what you’d pay in the supermarket for a proper piece of fish.
Agreed. The trend in fish prices was upwards anyway. As the consequences of over fishing become more apparent there is bound to be rationing by price.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Agreed. The trend in fish prices was upwards anyway. As the consequences of over fishing become more apparent there is bound to be rationing by price.
it's more the rising cost of energy and oil supplies for the shops, Fuel costs for the boats
Rather than the direct impact of fishery stocks being depleted causing the costs to rise

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Yep. We have noticed our previously amazing local Chinese takeaway is now selling what is basically a tray of onions and sauce instead of the lovely dishes it used to sell. All for approximately the same price. We have stopped going. By contrast in our brilliant chippy the cost of 2 large fish and chips, mushy peas and gravy has risen this past year from around 20 to 25 quid but the quality has remained as good as ever. We still go there and the queues remain as long as ever. For those saying it is too expensive think what you spend at football or in the pub. It’s all about choices.
I have noticed the general quality of takeaways across the board has reduced dramatically.

Like you say, less quality for more money.

A good reason to give them up and try and eat a bit healthier.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
it's more the rising cost of energy and oil supplies for the shops, Fuel costs for the boats
Rather than the direct impact of fishery stocks being depleted causing the costs to rise
Oil prices have come down sharply from the peaks of last year. Power and gas the same although I accept that won’t feed into the retail market until October. I would suggest over the long term fish and chips will never return to being the cheap meal it was and that’s because of over fishing feeding too much demand at low prices.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Most of the rapid rise in costs in the Fish and Chip industry can be attributed to Russia.
1) Control of European White Fish stocks ( about 75% ) They bought out others rights ( including the UK )
Cod rose in price by about 50% post invasion of Ukraine. Now there is a shortage of small/medium fish ( younger fish ) because of regulations. Shops are having to deal with 16 - 32 oz sizes.
2) Price rises of + 40% on oil.
3 ) Potatoes were £10 per 25kg bag in January this year. They are now £17 ( Not Russia's fault. UK farmers forcing the price up. They sell enough product to the Crisp manufacturers so they aren't that bothered about the wholesalers who supply Fish and Chip shops, who have to pay much higher prices.
4) Energy up since Russia invaded Ukraine....anything from 150% to 500%
5) Any other costs....packaging...sauces...min wage......other foodstuffs ( sausages much higher than a year ago )....all increa.

This cocktail is already seriously damaging this industry. Shops are closing weekly. Any profit is being eaten up by costs. Proprietors are worried about price ' tipping points '...i.e....trying to keep regular Cod and Chips below £10. It is bloody hard work and many are now reviewing whether its worth carrying on. I know this trade and its in crisis. A lot of your local shops will disappear

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Meanwhile in Wetherspoons...

Screenshot_20230513_124959_Drive.jpg

(let the snobbery begin :lol:)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It's been known that these increases have been coming for some time, with reports warning of fish and chip shops struggling for the last couple of years. The perfect storm of 35% sanctions on Russian fish, 60% reduction in UK cod quotas as a result of Brexit, a dying fishing industry, costs of oil/energy, problems sourcing staff and underlying food inflation means sadly that fish and chip shops are going to go the way of the UK fishing industry :shrug:

Even the Express was reporting that this was coming a year ago
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1...ps-threatened-one-third-rising-prices-economy

And, at the end of the day I think £15 for takeaway medium cod and chips + mushy peas from Bankers is still good value (as appears the Weatherspoon offer). Just not the cheap meal it used to be.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here