Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Preston Sack Brown and Horton.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Funny how his reputation has plummetted. He was being lauded by many when he decided to keep his Hull players on the pitch at h/t at Man City and bollock them for being 4-0 down. That was arguably the very beginning of when it all went wrong for him.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Funny how his reputation has plummetted. He was being lauded by many when he decided to keep his Hull players on the pitch at h/t at Man City and bollock them for being 4-0 down. That was arguably the very beginning of when it all went wrong for him.

It was that stupid goatee I think!

Last edited:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

That is the popular perception, but I think that HT team talk was a desperate move by a manager who saw some serious problems appearing in that side, and he felt he needed to do something to buck them up again. Many people since the relegation looked back at that moment as the reason, but I actually thought their season was not so unusual that we needed to look for a specific moment to blame it on. They started fast, on the crest of a wave, but couldn't sustain it and slipped back to about where you expect them to be. It also happened with Blackpool last season, and could very well happen at Norwich this season. Why was everyonme so obsessed with blaming it all on that single moment?

Since then, I think it's a case of Brown being good at that first club, where he is full of fight and enthusiasm, in a club he knows inside out, but is unable to reproduce that anywhere else. Again we see that a lot. Where is Gannon these days?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Do you mean lauded on here, or in the press or in general? I seem to remember it being largely condemned as extreme folly, and an insult to his players professionalism, no matter how badly they played. The man continues to be a legend in his own mind, and as such, you're modern day player doesn't react well to someone with an over inflated ego. Steve Kean strikes me as being from the same mould as Phil Brown.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
Anyone who repeatedly refers to themselves in the third person deserves everything they get.

Manx Shearwater has spoken.

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
Since then, I think it's a case of Brown being good at that first club, where he is full of fight and enthusiasm, in a club he knows inside out, but is unable to reproduce that anywhere else. Again we see that a lot. Where is Gannon these days?

Back at Stockport - albeit about 3 divisions lower down

Anyone who repeatedly refers to themselves in the third person deserves everything they get.

Manx Shearwater has spoken.

spot on. That well known cyclist and premiership ref (According to Spurs fans), Chris Hoy put it best.

"...Next day, Hoy meets some Scottish journalists. One puts it to him that: 'In the last 24 hours everyone has been offering an opinion on Chris Hoy. But what does Chris Hoy think of Chris Hoy?' Hoy doesn't miss a beat: 'Chris Hoy thinks that the day Chris Hoy refers to Chris Hoy in the third person is the day that Chris Hoy disappears up his own arse...'"

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Knew it was inevitable once Ridsdale became chairman. How many clubs will he ruin? Should not be allowed to work in football that man.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here