Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prescott beats nimbys

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Campaigners have lost their High Court battle against plans to build an accommodation centre for hundreds of asylum seekers in the countryside near Bicester in Oxfordshire.

Cherwell District Council had applied for a judicial review of Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott's approval of the centre

The Conservative-run council had argued at a recent two-day hearing that the proposals were legally flawed.

But Mr Justice Collins, sitting in London, said: "In all the circumstances I am satisfied that no grounds have been established which would justify me in deciding that the defendant's decision was wrong in law."

New Concept

The site, between the villages of Arncott and Piddington, has been earmarked to house up to 400 single men, 50 single women and 300 family members while their asylum applications are being processed.

The centre, the first of a new breed of large-scale facilities, will be self-contained with its own facilities, including a library and schools.

Mr Prescott gave the go-ahead after overriding local opposition and an independent planning inspector's advice.

The judge said: "Mr Prescott was entitled to exercise his own judgment on the weight to be attached to the material matters and thus to differ from the inspector."

Local Concerns

Residents expressed fears that their area would be "swamped" by the large numbers and unacceptable pressure would be put on local services, including health and education.

There was also concern that tension could be created as young single asylum seekers, who are free to come and go, moved around in large numbers.

Home office immigration minister Des Browne said: "I hope that the local community will work with us as we develop our plans in Bicester and drive forward with our reforms to create an asylum system that all people can have trust and confidence in."

The council was ordered to pay the costs of the appeal and was refused permission to appeal.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
y2dave said:
Mr Prescott gave the go-ahead after overriding local opposition and an independent planning inspector's advice.

The judge said: "Mr Prescott was entitled to exercise his own judgment on the weight to be attached to the material matters and thus to differ from the inspector."
Ooh, I like that bit.

Not sure that this means anything for us - it is quite clear that New Labour considers the caging of refugees to be much more important than the provision of high-class facilities for people who live here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here