Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pre-Inquiry Meeting at Brighton Town Hall

The first stage of the re-opened Public Inquiry took place at Brighton Town Hall this morning. It was the formal Pre-Inquiry Meeting, chaired by the Inspector and attended by representatives of all the main parties to the Inquiry.

The purpose of the meeting was to allow the Inspector to set out the terms of reference for the Inquiry and for the parties to discuss how they will present their evidence.

The Terms of Reference will be exactly as set out in the letter from the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister, dated 26 July. It was made very clear that the re-opened Inquiry will not be a re-run of the previous Inquiry, nor will it be a forum for considering Inspector John Collyer's Report.

The Inquiry will re-open on 2 February at Brighton Town Hall, and the new Inspector will make a brief tour of the possible alternative sites the previous day. A further tour will be arranged at the end of the Inquiry (which is, hopefully, scheduled for 22 February - although this will depend on the volume of evidence that is presented).

There was a lot of discussion about which alternative sites would be considered. The ODPM's letter identifies seven, but allows other sites to be put forward, provided they meet the realistic criteria for an acceptable, affordable 22,000 seater community stadium in the conurbation.

Lewes District Council made it clear that they would NOT be bringing forward any other possible sites (eg Newhaven). Neither will the Society of Sussex Downsmen. Falmer Parish Council were very coy about this question. They claimed to have a number of possible sites in mind, but they haven't yet finished their investigations as to whether these sites are available. They admitted that they "haven't had time to look at some of them", but they are holding a meeting next week to discuss things.

This caused some irritation among the other parties, who want early disclosure of all the sites that will have to be considered by the Inquiry. The Inspector made it clear that he doesn't want to see rabbits pulled out of hats. The Inspector acknowledged that there might be representations received from other people about further sites that might be considered. The Inquiry would simply have to deal with these as they came in. However, he didn't want the major parties to do this.

All major parties were being asked to submit their proofs of evidence by 7 January and obviously need to know what sites will need to be included in that evidence. Falmer PC seemed to think it would be OK to keep their evidence quiet until then, but they were eventually persuaded at least to reveal the locations as soon as they'd decided to prepare evidence about them. Tom Carr, for the Parish Council, finally said that he "hoped" to be able to do this by 26 October.

There was a lot of discussion about various administrative arrangements, including the order in which the major parties would present their evidence. This was complicated by the fact that the lawyer for Lewes District Council won't be available for a whole week of the Inquiry, yet wants to be present when all of the other major parties are presenting their evidence.

The Inspector concluded by asking the two local planning authorities, Lewes and Brighton & Hove, whether they were planning to publish a formal notification of the Public Inquiry, requesting written representations from local residents. Lewes DC gave a firm commitment to do this by the end of October. This is likely to take the form of a standard Public Notice in the local newspaper and, of course, gives those of us who live in Lewes District the opportunity to write to our Council and tell them what we think of their continuing opposition to the Club's plans.

A boring morning, but some useful information came out of it.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
A couple of questions, if you please my Lord.

1. Would Falmer Parish Council have to put the notices in the Argus and it's sister paper The Leader?

2. I can presume that The Socitey of Sussex Downsmen are only objecting to Falmer alone?

3. Is the timetable big enough for all the conserations? To me it would appear to be tight.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It all sounds pretty fair to me. Roll on February.
p.s.Tom Carr. :angry:

Dover said:
A couple of questions, if you please my Lord.

1. Would Falmer Parish Council have to put the notices in the Argus and it's sister paper The Leader?

2. I can presume that The Socitey of Sussex Downsmen are only objecting to Falmer alone?

3. Is the timetable big enough for all the conserations? To me it would appear to be tight.
1. No. Falmer Parish Council aren't a local planning authority, so they don't have to post Public Notices.

2. Not sure. I would imagine that they will object to other downland and AONB sites, like Sheepcote Valley, Waterhall and (possibly) Toads Hole Valley.

3. The timetable was described as a "fair guess" at this morning's meeting. You might well be right.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
There's a great need for a decision on this inquiry before the pre-election purdah -- if there is to be any -- begins in early April.

Let's hope the likes of Caplin, Lepper and Turner are leaning heavily on Prezza to produce a result before then. Another EDM perhaps?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
The Inquiry will re-open on 2 February at Brighton Town Hall, and the new Inspector will make a brief tour of the possible alternative sites the previous day.

Couple of questions m'lud, if I may be so bold:

- Is 2 February a firm date?

- If LDC pull some more delaying tactics bullshit do we just start without them?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
...and the new Inspector will make a brief tour of the possible alternative sites the previous day. A further tour will be arranged at the end of the Inquiry (which is, hopefully, scheduled for 22 February - although this will depend on the volume of evidence that is presented).

Will the Inspector at anytime visit the Falmer site to compare that with the other sites? or is that out of the question as the Inquiry is now only to look at those other sites and NOT Falmer?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
They (Falmer PC) claimed to have a number of possible sites in mind, but they haven't yet finished their investigations as to whether these sites are available. They admitted that they "haven't had time to look at some of them",
Still haven't finished? Haven't had time? How long have they had? Isn't it about time they got off their arses (or their next door neighbour's) and did something then? They've only had a few years to do this.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Lord Bracknell said:
It was made very clear that the re-opened Inquiry will not be a re-run of the previous Inquiry, nor will it be a forum for considering Inspector John Collyer's Report.
Thank god for that. Bet that took the wind out of LDC's sails.

Re: Re: Pre-Inquiry Meeting at Brighton Town Hall

Tom Hark said:
Couple of questions m'lud, if I may be so bold:

- Is 2 February a firm date?

- If LDC pull some more delaying tactics bullshit do we just start without them?
1. Yes. Proofs of evidence have to be submitted by 7 January. And a "Statement of Common Ground" has to be prepared by 17 December - that's a joint statement by the major parties of matters they agree are not contentious. Hopefully it will include stuff like "Brighton Station isn't available".

2. Lewes DC argued a bit about the timetable, but now have no choice but to accept what was agreed this morning.

One thing I forgot to mention is the position of the University of Brighton.

They said this morning that there are still some unresolved issues relating to them relinquishing their land for the stadium. They will only agree if they receive satisfactory assurances about them having unimpeded access to the campus at all times. They even floated the possibility that they might seek alternative access arrangement for the university site (which would require a new planning application).

It's unhelpful attitudes like this that make me wonder if we wouldn't be better off somewhere else - which would stuff the University completely, of course.

Nothing to panic about, though. Negotiations continue - and will no doubt do so right up to the very last minute. It's called brinkmanship and bluff. They did the same at the previous Inquiry.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Desert Orchid said:
The thing that worries me is that the club gave us all the impression that the universities were sorted when clearly that was not quite the case with Brighton Uni.
It probably was at the previous inquiry. It's just that now it is re-opening and they know how much it means to the club they are going to try and squeeze everything they can out of us. It's only natural. Bastards.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Pre-Inquiry Meeting at Brighton Town Hall

Lord Bracknell said:
1. Yes. Proofs of evidence have to be submitted by 7 January. And a "Statement of Common Ground" has to be prepared by 17 December - that's a joint statement by the major parties of matters they agree are not contentious. Hopefully it will include stuff like "Brighton Station isn't available".

2. Lewes DC argued a bit about the timetable, but now have no choice but to accept what was agreed this morning.

Cheers m'lud :clap:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Lord Bracknell said:

They said this morning that there are still some unresolved issues relating to them relinquishing their land for the stadium. They will only agree if they receive satisfactory assurances about them having unimpeded access to the campus at all times. They even floated the possibility that they might seek alternative access arrangement for the university site (which would require a new planning application).

It's unhelpful attitudes like this that make me wonder if we wouldn't be better off somewhere else - which would stuff the University completely, of course.

Nothing to panic about, though. Negotiations continue - and will no doubt do so right up to the very last minute. It's called brinkmanship and bluff. They did the same at the previous Inquiry.
Why are they bothered about this now if this new Inquiry only relates to issues which are now nothing to do with them (i.e. discussion of sites other than Falmer)?

The Large One said:
Why are they bothered about this now if this new Inquiry only relates to issues which are now nothing to do with them (i.e. discussion of sites other than Falmer)?
It's not relevant to the Inquiry. It's just as Rangdo says - "they are going to try and squeeze everything they can out of us. It's only natural. Bastards".

They are also upset about some of the things that Collyer said about them in his report and would appear to be seeking an opportunity to whinge about this at the Inquiry. As TLO says, this is irrelevant. But it doesn't stop them trying.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Lord Bracknell said:

This is strange coming from Lord Bracknell. This has been my view all along.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Thanks again to Lord B for taking the time to go and then explain it here (didnt sound very exiciting but at least we know whats going on)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here