Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyets excuses?? Just my opinion!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm sure it's already been said here
But, my major gripe about GP and the way we play, is it doesn't change.

Last night was EXACTLY the same as Saturday.
Not a little bit, or similar, it was EXACTLY the same.

Obviously that's great when we're winning.
But to 'screw up' on Saturday and then do the same 72 hours later, is puzzling.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I'm sure it's already been said here
But, my major gripe about GP and the way we play, is it doesn't change.

Last night was EXACTLY the same as Saturday.
Not a little bit, or similar, it was EXACTLY the same.

Obviously that's great when we're winning.
But to 'screw up' on Saturday and then do the same 72 hours later, is puzzling.

Not just screw up, but to leave your best/most influential player on the bench is more puzzling.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Not just screw up, but to leave your best/most influential player on the bench is more puzzling.

Who was that then? You take Saturdays game and Buckley did not have a good game and he brought on KLL who made a difference. It was understandable that he would give KLL a starting chance, its easy to say now he should not have started. But then if we all had hindsight

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Who was that then? You take Saturdays game and Buckley did not have a good game and he brought on KLL who made a difference. It was understandable that he would give KLL a starting chance, its easy to say now he should not have started. But then if we all had hindsight

No hindsight required here. It was mentioned by many PRIOR to that performance that Buckley is our most influential/dangerous player. Its not rocket science, and the point was proven as Lua Lua had an absolute shocker and we looked lost without him. I agree that Buckley wasnt at his very best Saturday but before then had been pretty much unplayable. Also, it was pretty clear from as early as 5 minutes in that Lua Lua wasnt going to get any change out of Edwards. Why didnt he swap wings, instead of leaving him there to get mugged time and again.
More worryingly though is the fact we are becoming so reliant on certain players. Without Buckley, Bruno and CMS to a point we dont look very dangerous at all going forward apart from Bridge. What does that say when your left back has become your most dangerous attacker??
The good news is that we remain well in touch and dont have to wait too long to see our best/most influential players return to action.

BrianSwan

Apr 15, 2012
46 games, you (meaning most teams) usually start looking like a real team around February. More games = perfect to embed Gus's philosophy.

If you are still in the race until then, be happy.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
No hindsight required here. It was mentioned by many PRIOR to that performance that Buckley is our most influential/dangerous player. Its not rocket science, and the point was proven as Lua Lua had an absolute shocker and we looked lost without him. I agree that Buckley wasnt at his very best Saturday but before then had been pretty much unplayable. Also, it was pretty clear from as early as 5 minutes in that Lua Lua wasnt going to get any change out of Edwards. Why didnt he swap wings, instead of leaving him there to get mugged time and again.
More worryingly though is the fact we are becoming so reliant on certain players. Without Buckley, Bruno and CMS to a point we dont look very dangerous at all going forward apart from Bridge. What does that say when your left back has become your most dangerous attacker??
The good news is that we remain well in touch and dont have to wait too long to see our best/most influential players return to action.

What it showed was that Gus was right to drop Buckley to the bench, he played on Saturday poorly and we lost that game. KLL looked dangerous when he came on saturday and deserved to start last night. Yes I would agree that it was not working down the left, bridge normally does well down that side and I felt that KLL got in is way. I think that KLL is an impact player for the last 15 mins and not a starter, not yet anyway and would be surprised if he started many matches

According to Gus, Buckley is carrying an injury and was not fit enough for 90mins last night, even 20 was a gamble. I don't think it was tactical at all.

griff9

Mar 17, 2009
brighton
Statbrother how you can say it's exactly the same is unreal to me - He played Dicker vs Brum and Orlandi vs Ipswich. Ok the formation is similar but far from exactly the same. The fact that these two players go about there business so differently when on the pitch is the change in itself.

Last edited:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Well, that created a bit of reaction.

I am questioning whether Gus can take us further. He certainly has not yet proved himself as a successful Championship manager over an entire season.

Yes he has he got us tenth in his first championship season. Personally I thought that was a successful first attempt.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I thought we played and passed the ball poorly last night. Biggest issue for me however, was the lack of movement from the front two especially without CMS we could not play balls into channels which meant we played in front of their defence (Same as Sat). We desperately need an alternative striker who is an out and out attacker. Dobbie may or may not prove to be a good alternative to Vincente in the hole, but he is too slow/lightweight to be playing as an out and out striker. Barnes who had been pretty good before Sat has looked toothless since because he wants to come short and join the play and is basically running into the same space as Dobbie. I think we need to go into the loan market sooner rather than later for either a strong CF who offers an aerial threat or a quick player who can run channels and move defenders around...

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
LOL The sooner people realize we are not going to win every game the better and as for Ipswich out playing us for 80 mins LOL.

Taking the missing trio into consideration it was a fair result.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Not much hindsight, but a lot of consideration required.

Like, for instance, Gus saying he came off after Saturday's game feeling sore, and wasn't able to do 90 minutes three days later. Even putting him on the pitch for 20 minutes last night was a gamble, which thankfully paid off.

Anyway, you were saying...?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Well, that created a bit of reaction.

I am not suggesting that right now we should start looking for another manager, however if he doesn't get things right in the near future we must start asking questions.

We may be 3rd in the Championship, but have we beaten any of the top teams? A point off Cardiff is all I think. We have had a comparatively easy start to the season and if we aspire to be playoff contenders we should be at least a couple of points above where we are now in preparation for the games coming up against the big guys.

The last two home games have been dire and I understand our performance at Watford left a lot to be desired. And didn't we get battered by 10 man Millwall for the last part of the game at the Den and were lucky to come away with 3 points? So that's the last 4 games where we haven't exactly looked or performed like table toppers.

Last season we fell back badly in the last weeks and there appears to be evidence of the same kind of drop in our form again now.

I am questioning whether Gus can take us further. He certainly has not yet proved himself as a successful Championship manager over an entire season.

I hope he proves me wrong, but the warning signs are there and we would be crazy to continue to have blind faith in a manager who has not yet proved himself ... other than getting us promoted from League One which others have done before him.

I find that VERY hard to believe.

You've thrown yourself under the hurtling Grief Juggernaut, creaming your knickers while doing so.

Your silence when we win is deafening. I assume 'Ungrateful' is your middle name.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location

Are you having a laugh? Buckley's decent but VERY inconsistent. He was utterly woeful against Brum.

You honestly though Buckley played well against Brum? Bollocks. I bet thats not what you said at the time. Revisionist nonsense.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Statbrother how you can say it's exactly the same is unreal to me - He played Dicker vs Brum and Orlandi vs Ipswich. Ok the formation is similar but far from exactly the same. The fact that these two players go about there business so differently when on the pitch is the change in itself.
The personal may change, but the response was the same.

We huffed and puffed against a well organised team who came looking to not lose.
They marked our best attacking outlet out of the game (Buckley & KLL) and blocked off everyone else.

We did nothing different last night to Saturday.

We tried to go round the opposition but ran out of room, again.
We were toothless on corners, to the point of them being happy to concede them, again.
We were slow going forward, allowing them time to regroup, again.

The only difference was a lucky bounce in the box.

Which proves how all the pre match bollox of sacking 2 managers is precisely that, bollox.
I was nearer the truth when I glibly said 'Or we could lose both and Gus could be on his way out'.
(Not that I actually believe that, it was just the reaction to the stooopidness of the comments)

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I will wait for your apology. Not sure that is the way to speak to someone on a message board whose opinion you disagree with.

You'll be waiting a while. Your post wasn't an attempt at expressing an opinion, but a fishing trip which, to be fair, was obviously successful. The suggestion that two mediocre performances is worthy of a hunt for a new manager is idiotic, and I'll continue to say so for as long as we're performing well above expectations and moaning goons trot out negative shit like it's their god given right to drag everyone into their misery.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Birmingham and Ipswich exploited the fact both CMS and Bruno were injured , without CMS we have a toothless attack and without Bruno the defence becomes patchy.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Psst! We drew yesterday, it's not two losses in a row.

Well spotted. It felt like a loss because we were awful. But unlike some weirdos, that doesn't have me fitting a hosepipe to my exaust because I know we're in for a decent season.

You'll be waiting a while. Your post wasn't an attempt at expressing an opinion, but a fishing trip which, to be fair, was obviously successful. The suggestion that two mediocre performances is worthy of a hunt for a new manager is idiotic, and I'll continue to say so for as long as we're performing well above expectations and moaning goons trot out negative shit like it's their god given right to drag everyone into their misery.

I don't think it's a fishing trip at all, I think he actually is just a negative, thick moron. Unless of course I'm falling for a wind up and it is Withdean Wanderer or someone of course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here