Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyets excuses?? Just my opinion!!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Hate to say it, but if that's the best Gus can come up with, then we should start looking around for another manager.

Well, that created a bit of reaction.

I am not suggesting that right now we should start looking for another manager, however if he doesn't get things right in the near future we must start asking questions.

We may be 3rd in the Championship, but have we beaten any of the top teams? A point off Cardiff is all I think. We have had a comparatively easy start to the season and if we aspire to be playoff contenders we should be at least a couple of points above where we are now in preparation for the games coming up against the big guys.

The last two home games have been dire and I understand our performance at Watford left a lot to be desired. And didn't we get battered by 10 man Millwall for the last part of the game at the Den and were lucky to come away with 3 points? So that's the last 4 games where we haven't exactly looked or performed like table toppers.

Last season we fell back badly in the last weeks and there appears to be evidence of the same kind of drop in our form again now.

I am questioning whether Gus can take us further. He certainly has not yet proved himself as a successful Championship manager over an entire season.

I hope he proves me wrong, but the warning signs are there and we would be crazy to continue to have blind faith in a manager who has not yet proved himself ... other than getting us promoted from League One which others have done before him.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012

I am not suggesting that right now we should start looking for another manager, however if he doesn't get things right in the near future we must start asking questions.

We may be 3rd in the Championship, but have we beaten any of the top teams? A point off Cardiff is all I think. We have had a comparatively easy start to the season and if we aspire to be playoff contenders we should be at least a couple of points above where we are now in preparation for the games coming up against the big guys.

The last two home games have been dire and I understand our performance at Watford left a lot to be desired. And didn't we get battered by 10 man Millwall for the last part of the game at the Den and were lucky to come away with 3 points? So that's the last 4 games where we haven't exactly looked or performed like table toppers.

Last season we fell back badly in the last weeks and there appears to be evidence of the same kind of drop in our form again now.

I am questioning whether Gus can take us further. He certainly has not yet proved himself as a successful Championship manager over an entire season.

I hope he proves me wrong, but the warning signs are there and we would be crazy to continue to have blind faith in a manager who has not yet proved himself ... other than getting us promoted from League One which others have done before him.

Are we the best team in the division? No.
Was 10th last year about right? Probably.

Pointless to say Gus hasnt proved himself a successful championship manager as who has proved it until they have got a team promoted.
Would you rather have Neil Warnock? Because if you judge a manager on success in championship he has to be the best in the business.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've been on north stand chat for almost 4 years now, and just when I was getting to grips with who were the reactionary posters, the ones that are extremely negative after a poor result or performance, and who would keep perspective, it seems like everything switches round and people you wouldn't expect come over all alarmist, and others who are generally negative start posting reasonable things.

Weird.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Ipswich were hoofball monkeys mostly, but that is a way of beating us or at least getting on even ground. The attack method was fairly clear: to ping it over to Daryl Murphy who towered over the slightly feeble Calderon, feeding off of the knockdowns.
I don't think Gus' explanation was the truest. We conceded and once again didn't create too many gilt-edged chances afterwards. We may have passed it finer outside of the box, but that in itself doesn't win contests. And to say that teams are coming to defend doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to score and win.

What Gus says to the press is always going to be the most honest portrayal of his thinking though, so let's not shit our pants over it or make completely bumheaded comments about replacing him because of it.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
I'm a huge fan of Gus but I read this article and thought he was making little sense. Of course we have one of the best managers in the league and should do all we want yo keep him. However we need
more attacking options if we are to finish in the top teams.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Are you trying to say we should replace our most successful manager in over 20 years because his excuses for losing are not satisfactory? Jesus wept, he took us over as a struggling third division team and propelled us to being a top Championship team, i think he deserves a bit more respect than that!

Some of the attitudes on here after drawing with a team with a decent crop of players desperate for points astound me. Everyone comments on how open this division is, anyone can beat anyone blah blah. A loss and a draw doesn’t make us a bad team or Poyet tactically inept, it’s just the nature of playing in one of the world’s most competitive divisions.

Thank you. :thumbsup:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
11 shots on target v 5? 9 corners v 1? Yep, completely pulled us apart for 80 minutes!

11 on target? Really. Surprised.

We had a lot of corners versus Birmingham as well, but never looked like scoring.

However, I take your point.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
One of the issues I have is that we are not aggressive enough at home.

Last away game I went to was Watford. They threw the kitchen sink at us straight from the start and had us in all sorts of problems. We were very lucky not to be 1-0 down from their first attack. OK we went on and won the game but more by luck than performance on that day.

We play nice and relaxed with our passing football and let the other team gain confidence. We get away with this if we score early but struggle if we don't.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Eh!? On another day we could have been 1-0 up in both the last two games. Calderon from the corner in the first minute and LuaLua? in the last game.

But what did we do from then on?

Against Watford we had to withstand wave after wave. It took ages for us just to put our foot on the ball.

Poyet himself admitted that Birmingham were there for the taking because of the drubbing they'd received from Barnsley but we just let them gain on confidence.

I've been on north stand chat for almost 4 years now, and just when I was getting to grips with who were the reactionary posters, the ones that are extremely negative after a poor result or performance, and who would keep perspective, it seems like everything switches round and people you wouldn't expect come over all alarmist, and others who are generally negative start posting reasonable things.

Weird.

How upsetting for you. Posters really should try harder to conform to your perceived expectations of them.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Why do you do this time and time again? We lost two in a row and we looked a bit toothless, it happens. Our two current best players are out and we missed them badly. We'll be back and we'll be on a good run again soon and you'll look like a stupid, moaning, miserable, pointless idiot (again). Then we'll lose a couple and you'll do it all again, with exactly the same results.

I think I'll just reply with this exact same post every time from now on.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Why do you do this time and time again? We lost two in a row and we looked a bit toothless, it happens. Our two current best players are out and we missed them badly. We'll be back and we'll be on a good run again soon and you'll look like a stupid, moaning, miserable, pointless idiot (again). Then we'll lose a couple and you'll do it all again, with exactly the same results.

I think I'll just reply with this exact same post every time from now on.

Psst! We drew yesterday, it's not two losses in a row.

jemwillett

Feb 17, 2012
Burgess Hill
League positions at this time of year mean little, given a couple of results can ping a team from one end of the table to another. I wasn't there but from a distance Poyet's comments look more than odd. According to stat's we shared possession but he suggests we dominated? As for the best manager in 20 years comment earlier in thread I think we've got the best team in 20 years and we really should be disappointed at not getting more from these last 2 games.

Hopefully just a blip and not last season all over again

last season all over again. And that was awful!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Project Albion

It is the strategy that makes Gus and Taricco so good. See the last interview with Taricco. The idea is to impose the Albion style on the opponents and get them to change their tactics. Not a thing we have seen for more than most people can remember, not since the days of Clough & Taylor.

This is the type of thing that gets good league results, but it does enable the other side to know what to expect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here