Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyets excuses?? Just my opinion!!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
But even when they weren't attacking they played a high tempo passing game which put our plodding efforts to shame.

Indeed. The word 'predictable' could have been used for Brighton's last 180 minutes.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
They played some nice one touch stuff every now and then. But they didn't exactly light up the Amex. They nicked a goal and sat back for the rest of the game (Except the first 10 minutes of the second half)

and we huffed and puffed and were very lucky to equalise. I was happy to settle for a point at half time tbh as we looked very very poor in the last 1/3 of the pitch. The build up is so slow that it is scream inducing :smile:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
They played some nice one touch stuff every now and then. But they didn't exactly light up the Amex. They nicked a goal and sat back for the rest of the game (Except the first 10 minutes of the second half)

But that highlights the difference.. For their goal and other chances they made, they played a passing game plus an incisive final ball - we just kept passing it, and worked it out to Lua Lua, hoping he'd beat the full back and get a cross in. If that's our only tactic, then we need a striker who's better in the air.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Are you kidding me? They were in complete control of that game. I will reduce 80 minutes to 70 minutes, as we actually started quite well. So the first 10 minutes and the last 10 minutes we were alright, the middle 70 we were dominated. They had an identical chance to the one they scored from about 5 minutes before they did score and Kuszczak kept us in it with a great save in the first minute of the second half. They were by far the better team and a fair result would have been 2-0 to them.

rubbish...no way were they on control of the game for 70 minutes..u pick on one save and suggest tht is an argument they should have won by 2/0 ..we were certainly off our game but yur making ipswich sound like barcelona

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
But that highlights the difference.. For their goal and other chances they made, they played a passing game plus an incisive final ball - we just kept passing it, and worked it out to Lua Lua, hoping he'd beat the full back and get a cross in. If that's our only tactic, then we need a striker who's better in the air.

i'd say we didnt just use lua lua...plenty of times we tried to pass it thru..just that our passing wasnt good enough on the night

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
i feel the comments Gus made are just - teams do come here and defend and play counter attack against us, but that isn't just us that is a staple of most of the championship. We need to take our chances but we aren't. The biggest difference in the last 2 games and the previous 3 is the loss of Bruno. He bring a different dimension. Not only does he get forward extremely well his threat allows our midfield much more freedom.

3rd in league players to return, we were never staying top all season so lets not panic just yet.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Are you kidding me? They were in complete control of that game. I will reduce 80 minutes to 70 minutes, as we actually started quite well. So the first 10 minutes and the last 10 minutes we were alright, the middle 70 we were dominated. They had an identical chance to the one they scored from about 5 minutes before they did score and Kuszczak kept us in it with a great save in the first minute of the second half. They were by far the better team and a fair result would have been 2-0 to them.

Some of that is utter rubbish, they certainly created more clear cut chances than us, but they didn't domiate the middle 70 mins, far from it.

I got a text off an Ipswich supporting mate just as Buckley came on saying "Shit, you're piling the pressure on and now Buckley's on." That was in the 62nd min, chatting to him and few other Ipswich fans afterwards they thought we had a majority of the ball in the second half without being that threatening, they were reduced to more counter-attacking football as they looked to break up our play. It was more Brighton of last season, plenty of ball but not much creativity. I don't know where the BBC got the stats that we had 15 shot, 11 on target from though.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Some of the comments on this thread are incredible and measuring them on the same way they measure Gus's comments means we should be looking for some new supporters. There is an element of truth in his comments but maybe not put across in the best way, teams have worked out how to stop our style of play this is not a thing of respect but good tactics. However do you expect him to come out with something like "we are only an average team and the opposition have worked out how to nulify our playing style" the same idiots would crusify him on here.
Press releases/conferences are a game of propaganda not to be take too seriously.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that Gus is 100% correct every team see a point from us at The Amex as job done and 3 as a big bonus. They all come to defend and catch us on the break pushing forward and both Birmingham and Ipswich did exactly that. Where some people get the idea that Ipswich had 80% of the game from I don't know they must have been in the concourses having a pie and a pint while the game was on.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
They dominated the first half, nobody can argue with that, and they should have been more than 1-0 up at half-time. They started the second half even stronger and should have scored again. In the last half an hour, I agree we had far more of the ball, but we didn't look like scoring. In fact, I thought Ipswich looked like it was easy for them to stop us. Let's face facts, our goal was a major surprise and had that match finished after 80 minutes there would have been boos. At that point, it was much worse than Saturday.

I think a major change in our chance of scoring came when Dicker came on. He actually moved forward with the ball and played some very intelligent passes into dangerous areas, something Hammond hasn't threatened to do since his re-debut.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I LOVE Ipswich crosses. PURPOSEFUL AND DANGEROUS.

We should take note.

But we wont.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Chris on a bike. We are THIRD in the CHAMPIONSHIP.

Not for long I suspect with our current inability to score; and we have so far beaten few teams of substance. I'm not knocking what we have achieved so far (which I'm proud of), just stating a fact. I would be happier if our victories had included Leicester, Wolves and Blackpool, for example.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Yep Absolute rubbish we should sack the manager and get Slade back. If we are not 10 points clear by end of October the season is a disaster.

League positions at this time of year mean little, given a couple of results can ping a team from one end of the table to another. I wasn't there but from a distance Poyet's comments look more than odd. According to stat's we shared possession but he suggests we dominated? As for the best manager in 20 years comment earlier in thread I think we've got the best team in 20 years and we really should be disappointed at not getting more from these last 2 games.

Hopefully just a blip and not last season all over again

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here