Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet right

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
IMHO

Gus was at the Albion in the Community Forum last night.

Didn't skirt the issue, stated from the outset that he had no personal problem with Nicky Forster, but stated that he had informed all of the 9 players who were out of contract in the summer that nothing would be discussed until the season was over, 8 had adhered to this, one via his agent hadn't.

If he hadn't have taken the action which he has, what message would that have sent out to the other 8, and in fact the rest of the squad?

I went to Burgess Hill hoping there was a way back, now I'm not so sure, Forster clearly has to back down or discredit his agent, but I'm with the manager on this one, its about the club as a whole not one specific player.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
IMHO

Didn't skirt the issue, stated from the outset that he had no personal problem with Nicky Forster, but stated that he had informed all of the 9 players who were out of contract in the summer that nothing would be discussed until the season was over, 8 had adhered to this, one via his agent hadn't.

If he hadn't have taken the action which he has, what message would that have sent out to the other 8, and in fact the rest of the squad?

I went to Burgess Hill hoping there was a way back, now I'm not so sure, Forster clearly has to back down or discredit his agent, but I'm with the manager on this one, its about the club as a whole not one specific player.

is how it should be, gus is the manager end of

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
That's a fair position. Two things contradict this though. Firstly the offer of a new contract to El Abd which could be seen that the club were willing to discuss contracts.

Also you could argue that the club's top scorer who has given several years of very professional service is very different from the others on the out of contract list?

Shanker45

Jan 19, 2010
East Preston,West Sussex
IMHO

I think most of us suspected this was the case I can't see Poyet lying about this in public.
Let's hope Forster eats some humble pie.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
That's a fair position. Two things contradict this though. Firstly the offer of a new contract to El Abd which could be seen that the club were willing to discuss contracts.

Also you could argue that the club's top scorer who has given several years of very professional service is very different from the others on the out of contract list?

Exactly, the first two posters very cleverly avoid the issue of the El Abd contract. Funnily enough, it seemed that Poyet did as well!!!

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005

i went and Gus answered these questions,
El-Abd contract offer was made in early December, Gus really rates him actually says he is better positionally than 90% of the squad although he encourages the rest of the team not to pass to him. The rest were sat down in January.

As for years of service Gus and Oatway pointed out that Kuipers and Hart were also in this meeting and they accepted this, what makes Forster different??

seven stands

May 25, 2006
hastings
pleased that gus is not a softly softly type of manager, we wont even mention forster this time next year if he goes, the club is bigger than any player. ( I do like Forster )

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

El Abd is very different, he is younger, in his prime and I'd imagine his wage is in the middle of the scale meaning if we went down, he is still useful and would not break the bank and if we stayed up, he would be useful for next seasons "promotion push".

Forster is reaching the end of his career, is at the top of the list for wage [we assume] and I'd imagine if we stayed up, maybe Poyet does not see him as a vital 'top earner' for next season and if we go down, then maybe we would not want to be paying him the money he wants / is on.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
El-Abd contract offer was made in early December, Gus really rates him actually says he is better positionally than 90% of the squad although he encourages the rest of the team not to pass to him. The rest were sat down in January.

As for years of service Gus and Oatway pointed out that Kuipers and Hart were also in this meeting and they accepted this, what makes Forster different??

Yes that's fair comment, although I would be offering our number one goalkeeper and top goalscorer new contracts regardless of length of service. Hart has not contributed at all this season so can't see he would have any reason to grumble.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I spent most of my working life managing people in one situation or another - the worst times were always when your authority was undermined by staff or directors - it leads to poor decision making, low morale and bad results.

The good times were always when the team was working together and managerial decisions (bearing in mind I never ignored staff but equally had, on occasion, to make decisions with which they did not agree) were accepted.

That said I never had to deal with staffs' "agents" to discuss issues - must be a total nightmare sometimes both for the manager and the player who doesn't always seem in control of what the agent says or does on their behalf.

Still begs the question though why el abd WAS given a contract.......we all make mistakes and sometimes fail to think things through butin context it does rather subvert the strength of Poyet's response.

I'm sure it's elsewhere but who is out of contract at the end of the season and how many of those are likely to get a "yes"

1 Forster
2 Kuipers
3 Hart
4....5.....6....7....8....?

Last edited:

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
Yes that's fair comment, although I would be offering our number one goalkeeper and top goalscorer new contracts regardless of length of service. Hart has not contributed at all this season so can't see he would have any reason to grumble.

Poyet said with regards to Forster,

"He has no problem with Nicky Forster, the issue came from Forsters statement in the argus quoting "i have enjoyed my time at brighton" enjoyed according to Poyet is past tense ie Forster is talking about the fact he has already left the club, Gus wants players 100% committed.

Also said if we go down players like Forster will hide and Poyet will accept the blame, 100%. It is his decision that counts.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

So, El Abd is a player Poyet rates but doesn't play him as first choice in any position (don't get me wrong, I think El Abd is a very good utility player and back up) yet he gets special treatment for his contract but our leading scorer, and lets be honest, you don't win games if you don't score, is treated like a no hoper reserve player. The time of the offers are completely irrelevant. Either you have a principle of not discussing all contracts or your don't.

El Abd is very different, he is younger, in his prime and I'd imagine his wage is in the middle of the scale meaning if we went down, he is still useful and would not break the bank and if we stayed up, he would be useful for next seasons "promotion push".

Forster is reaching the end of his career, is at the top of the list for wage [we assume] and I'd imagine if we stayed up, maybe Poyet does not see him as a vital 'top earner' for next season and if we go down, then maybe we would not want to be paying him the money he wants / is on.

Can you list the other players out of contract including their ages, salaries and finally what their contribution to the club has been over the last two seasons. Your argument is pathetic and flawed. I refer you to my comments above. The club are dumb if they don't have clauses in the contracts relating to relegation. Also, the club don't know what money he wants because they won't sit down and discuss contracts (except of course for El Abd).

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Poyet said with regards to Forster,

"He has no problem with Nicky Forster, the issue came from Forsters statement in the argus quoting "i have enjoyed my time at brighton" enjoyed according to Poyet is past tense ie Forster is talking about the fact he has already left the club, Gus wants players 100% committed.

Also said if we go down players like Forster will hide and Poyet will accept the blame, 100%. It is his decision that counts.

Yes and actually I don't really blame Poyet, I don't think given the circumstances he actually had any choice once Forster did that.

Just think the situation could have been avoided by the club if handled differently.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
although he encourages the rest of the team not to pass to him. ??

...so why give him a contract..."because he stands in the right position"

That statement is bollocks

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
So, El Abd is a player Poyet rates but doesn't play him as first choice in any position (don't get me wrong, I think El Abd is a very good utility player and back up) yet he gets special treatment for his contract but our leading scorer, and lets be honest, you don't win games if you don't score, is treated like a no hoper reserve player. The time of the offers are completely irrelevant. Either you have a principle of not discussing all contracts or your don't.

i think you probably should have gone and asked Gus this, however ONE point i will make is that to even sit those out of contract down is more than most league clubs or previous Albion managers would have done and as Gus said Forster IS the only one to have a problem with this, what does that tell you about the guy?

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
...so why give him a contract..."because he stands in the right position"

That statement is bollocks

i couldnt be bothered to type the whole thing but he says he always does his job if the team is defending he is switched on and even if the ball is up the other end his concentration never switches off, defensively he is highly rated, the possesion thing was said in jest.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
El Abd may have been given a contract extension so that other clubs cannot get him for nothing at the end of the season , if an enquiry comes in for him then we can let him go for a fee.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
i couldnt be bothered to type the whole thing but he says he always does his job if the team is defending he is switched on and even if the ball is up the other end his concentration never switches off, defensively he is highly rated, the possesion thing was said in jest.

really.

I am 100% convinced people watch totally different matches than the ones I do. It must be this parallell universe I live in

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here