Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet got it Wrong.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Too many crosses were straight into Butlands arms.

Not much different from Barnsley though. That time the Barnsley keeper was odd enough to try and catch the ball and promptly dropped in and that was 1-0. I thought I saw the signs of not being clinical in that game and we scored five. Butland was the difference and the shots going inches wide which is the same as missing by a mile. Dobbie and Lopez are promising but not quite in tune with the other players yet.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm not sure where this fits in to the argument, but we had only eight shots and only three were on target (2 shots from caldy, one on target, impressive when he'd not been given the ball that much, but I digress). 8(3) is the lowest of both this season. Our average is 12.6 (6.1). Last season we averaged 8.3(3.9). I'm not sure we did create enough, certainly not as much as 12 corners, and all those runs to the byline you mention (and I agree with you about their quality), deserved.

Well my point is I don't think the MAIN blame lies with Gus. I think he set us out with a shape that meant we consistently got into the final third. From there, it's up to the individual players' decision making. Too often it was poor. 8 shots isn't so bad as to refer to it as "only", we've created a very high number of shots per game so far this season.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Well my point is I don't think the MAIN blame lies with Gus. I think he set us out with a shape that meant we consistently got into the final third. From there, it's up to the individual players' decision making. Too often it was poor.

I agree with that.

8 shots isn't so bad as to refer to it as "only", we've created a very high number of shots per game so far this season.

Well, our average last season was the lowest of every club bar doncaster. When we couldn't even reach that level, I think "only" is appropriate.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Well, our average last season was the lowest of every club bar doncaster. When we couldn't even reach that level, I think "only" is appropriate.

What was our average last season?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What was our average last season?

As I said 8.3 (3.9 on target). I know, it's only a difference of .3, but like I said it was the lowest bar Doncaster (who finished bottom of the table, 12 points from safety who averaged exactly 8 shots per game and finished the season with a goal difference of -37, having scored 41), when your shots tally is as low as the lowest average in your division, I feel "only" is justified.

So far our average this season is 12.6 (6.1) - Last season Burnley led the pack with 12.35 shots, Ipswich has most shots on target with 5.87, so overall we're much improved on last season in this respect and Saturday was a low shot game. They happen.

When I say "only" I don't really mean it as a criticism, just that it is, in all this given context, "only" eight.

Last edited:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'm not sure it was Gus' fault really. I blame a weak headed clearance no one tracking back to speedily pick up the mildly puny header's knockdown. Other than that, we kept getting into positions to almost make something happen, but couldn't get a decent ball across when we had the chance. You could say Gus didn't inspire magnificence in those individuals on this occasion, but you could more likely say that there were a few off-days for people we expect more from. And that the referee was a slag.

Birmingham should have been annihilated and i kept screaming that the final piece of the slaughterous jigsaw couldn't be found. We were decent enough though and not to be cursed for not quite being what we wanted to be, or could be. It says so much that the Brummies celebrated so hugely in holding out against us. They were tripe, and seemingly bravely proud of it. We're clearly a force to be reckoned with and that at least warms my spirits.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Arguably three of our most important players are CMS, Bruno and Crofts. Need them back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here