Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet got it Wrong.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I think that Clarke has the voodoo over us as he always beat us when at Huddersfield and seems to know how to stop us playing our own game.

Absolutely this - but it's up to us to work it out and we haven't and thats one of the reasons we're not ready for promotion yet - but it will come I'm sure

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Don't get why people are saying Gus got the selection wrong. We've been playing with a particular formation through the good run. Then we get two injuries (Bruno and CMS) and we replace them like for like with Calderon (solid cover) and Dobbie who is arguably the more experienced championship player between him and Craig. Why is that "wrong"?

Because when we lose, the fans want to blame someone instead of realising it was just one of those games.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Don't get why people are saying Gus got the selection wrong. We've been playing with a particular formation through the good run. Then we get two injuries (Bruno and CMS) and we replace them like for like with Calderon (solid cover) and Dobbie who is arguably the more experienced championship player between him and Craig. Why is that "wrong"?

Well because the two players out were the key to the formation. We were missing creativity down the right and someone who could work their defenders without getting offside. The opposition had no defenders by their own admission. You can still play nice football but take horses for courses.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Of course, yesterday was just one of those frustrating games where you get nothing after the opposition have taken their one chance. Having said that though, I thought one problem was that Hammond didn't seem to have a clear role (the consensus seemed to be that he had a stinker which is a viewpoint I share). When he was here before, he was an out and out attacking midfielder, while at Southampton Adkins used him in the Bridcutt role. In the season we stayed in the Championship under McGhee (2004-2005), Hammond used to overlap with the forwards, and with OGH often being the only recognised centre forward, he was especially effective, such as when he scored two goals to gain a draw against West Ham. With neither Barnes nor Dobbie playing as an out and out centre forward yesterday (why Barnes wasn't I can't think, since he was so good at Millwall), the game could have done with Hammond going further forward. Instead he seemed to sit deep, which we already had Bridcutt and Dicker doing.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I think it was just one of those games that happen from time to time - when a number of our players were below par & they come up against a side that defended like their lives depended on it & got lucky with a wonder strike. I reckon if CMS & Bruno had been fit, we'd have got something from the match (& I won't even mention the extra nous that Vicente could've provided). Then again, if ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas. Funny old game, football.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Ever heard of emergency generators ?

What, they only run the tills and catering but not the floodlights???

Get real :facepalm: There was obviously something wrong. Generators should suely power the floodlights too ?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
But what was the use of crossing when we had no target?
Of course we had targets up front, Barnes had to go near post and Dobbie was more in the 6 yard box but well marshalled by Davies.

Folk can say we missed CMS but he always makes the near post run.

Maybe we missed Hammond pushing on from midfield.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think missing Vicente, Crofts, Bruno and CMS was too much for us to sustain. Thankfully, it won't be too many matches we'll play this season missing that sort of quality.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I agree. It's interesting to note that whenever Poyet v Clark comes up, Clark has won every game. Huddersfield were the only team to take 6 points off of us when we won league 1. Clark seems to know his tactics inside out.

Clarke's philosophy is basically firstly, dont lose, hense the run Huddersfield went on, secondly, pack the defence with big strong defenders, not Greer types who are more happier playing it away, ie bang it away and regroup. They coped so well with our forwards because we basically didnt have any on Saturday....Dobbie is NOT a Mac Smith and that was shown in bucketloads. Barnes has morphed into a number 9 that plays the float about in midfield and occasionally get forward type role.

The only way would have beaten Brum on saturday IMHO was to play both wingers and sacrifice one of teh holding midfielders and push barnes up front with dobbie playing off him. their defenders must have thought it was christmas when they saw our formation

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Because when we lose, the fans want to blame someone instead of realising it was just one of those games.

Correct. Some people can't just handle "we played alright, created plenty of chances, final ball wasn't good enough, we lost, move on".

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Clarke's philosophy is basically firstly, dont lose, hense the run Huddersfield went on, secondly, pack the defence with big strong defenders, not Greer types who are more happier playing it away, ie bang it away and regroup. They coped so well with our forwards because we basically didnt have any on Saturday....Dobbie is NOT a Mac Smith and that was shown in bucketloads. Barnes has morphed into a number 9 that plays the float about in midfield and occasionally get forward type role.

The only way would have beaten Brum on saturday IMHO was to play both wingers and sacrifice one of teh holding midfielders and push barnes up front with dobbie playing off him. their defenders must have thought it was christmas when they saw our formation

I'd agree with that. Good summing up.

Titus

Come on!
Feb 21, 2010
Up here on the left.
Correct. Some people can't just handle "we played alright, created plenty of chances, final ball wasn't good enough, we lost, move on".

You are of course entitled to your opinion but did you read my original post? We created virtually no chances and their keeper must have had the easiest day he'd had all season.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think missing Vicente, Crofts, Bruno and CMS was too much for us to sustain. Thankfully, it won't be too many matches we'll play this season missing that sort of quality.
Exactly this.

If Poyet made mistakes, I think they were fairly minor ones. He should have brought on KLL much earlier, and to be honest I think I'd have taken Hammond off after an hour because he simply wasn't proving creative enough to break down a stubborn Brum defence. It seemed to me we were only attacking down the flanks where we were simply not getting any joy. I think we needed to freshen things up in central midfield seeing as Birmingham were content to sit on their one goal lead.

Ultimately it was just one of those games. Our wingers kept crossing to the keeper when they did get clear, and our strikers weren't linking with our midfield, and when they did they were being caught off-side. And while their goal was a fine strike, we gave him too much time to set himself. As I say, one of those games.

And it was a funny day for that sort of thing. Peterborough and Bristol Rovers both won for the first time, Spurs won against Man Utd. Some things never change though - Palace are still wetting themselves over Glen Murray because he scored a penalty.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You are of course entitled to your opinion but did you read my original post? We created virtually no chances and their keeper must have had the easiest day he'd had all season.

12 corners to 0. Butland was involved a LOT but did have an easy day because we kept just chipping it into his arms from the byline. We created plenty, but the final ball was AWFUL. That's not Gus's fault, that's the players. We were set up to make chances, and made plenty. Gus did his job setting it out. The players didn't.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
12 corners to 0. Butland was involved a LOT but did have an easy day because we kept just chipping it into his arms from the byline. We created plenty, but the final ball was AWFUL. That's not Gus's fault, that's the players. We were set up to make chances, and made plenty. Gus did his job setting it out. The players didn't.
The problem is that we only seemed to attack down the flanks, we didn't mix it up. And when our wingers are having one of those days where the crosses aren't hitting our players, we need to be able to look to attack down the middle sometimes. It was all a bit too predictable, IMO.

As for our wingers and their crossing, it was like Craig Noone had never left the club.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The problem is that we only seemed to attack down the flanks, we didn't mix it up. And when our wingers are having one of those days where the crosses aren't hitting our players, we need to be able to look to attack down the middle sometimes. It was all a bit too predictable, IMO.

As for our wingers and their crossing, it was like Craig Noone had never left the club.

I think Birmingham conceded the wings, and defended the box centrally.

Dangerous policy, but when you've got the talent and set-up to pull the opposing team all over the park as we have, it's easier for them if they can shepherd us into to a place where they can defend en masse, and those two rows of buses were pretty solid.

Sadly, we fell for it.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
Can we expect a thread from OP about how Gus got it right when we win?
We lost a game where I feel we deserved a draw.
We have got 2 games where we can look to take 3 points on both occasions. Ipswich have low confidence and I don't think this derby side are as good as last year.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think Birmingham conceded the wings, and defended the box centrally.

Dangerous policy, but when you've got the talent and set-up to pull the opposing team all over the park as we have, it's easier for them if they can shepherd us into to a place where they can defend en masse, and those two rows of buses were pretty solid.

Sadly, we fell for it.

Very similar to West Ham last season.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I'm not sure where this fits in to the argument, but we had only eight shots and only three were on target (2 shots from caldy, one on target, impressive when he'd not been given the ball that much, but I digress). 8(3) is the lowest of both this season. Our average is 12.6 (6.1). Last season we averaged 8.3(3.9). I'm not sure we did create enough, certainly not as much as 12 corners, and all those runs to the byline you mention (and I agree with you about their quality), deserved.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here