Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet got it Wrong.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Kaz's trickery (introduced, too late in this game).

Kaz should have been much more involved in my opinion. Seems to be a permanent sub and only introduced way too late. It was obvious Birmingham found him difficult to cope with - we desperately needed someone to unlock their defence - if he'd been on for at least 45 mins I reckon he would have done it...

Bloke sitting next to me had never seen Brighton before couldn't believe he hadn't been playing since the start as he was the best player on the pitch when he came on.

Would like to have seen Toby given a run out in the last 20 mins too - Barnes/Dobbie up front obviously wasn't working.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
All wingers blow hot and cold. Buckley is my favorite 'jump up off my seat player' followed by Lua Lua---but they were pretty chilly yesterday-----We could get a hatfull against the tracktor blokes and everything will be rosey again---and its only a couple of days to wait. My liver is thankful anyway!!!! :drink:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
kevo;5229596 Would like to have seen Toby given a run out in the last 20 mins too - .[/QUOTE said:
I think that too many people are putting too much hope and expectation on Toby making the grade, he may well do but he is not ready yet.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think the biggest mistake, given the option available with the fit players available, was not having a period with Lua Lua and Buckley on at the same time attacking each full back. I cant understand that because he often used 2 out 3 when Noone was here.

No point. Greer wouldn't play the ball up the right side of the pitch. It's why Calderon appeared so ineffective, and why Buckley kept coming over to the left.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
They came for a draw, scored a great goal (it fell for him but it was well taken) and then they played for a draw and got the win.

I couldn't quite why he took Buckley off as whilst Lua lua provided a different threat to them and was able to not get caught offside with buckley on we seems to offer more attacking options, When Kaz came on we seemed to only want to play though him.

If as someone says above that Buckley asked to come off well that would explain it but I thought it was a mistake

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No point. Greer wouldn't play the ball up the right side of the pitch. It's why Calderon appeared so ineffective, and why Buckley kept coming over to the left.

You seem to be intent on putting the blame on Greer rather than considering perhaps that he didn't have the confidence that Calderon could do the job that Bruno does and attack the full back and then get back if needed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Also to be fair, that was a typical Clarke set up

I think that Clarke has the voodoo over us as he always beat us when at Huddersfield and seems to know how to stop us playing our own game.

I agree. It's interesting to note that whenever Poyet v Clark comes up, Clark has won every game. Huddersfield were the only team to take 6 points off of us when we won league 1. Clark seems to know his tactics inside out.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You seem to be intent on putting the blame on Greer rather than considering perhaps that he didn't have the confidence that Calderon could do the job that Bruno does and attack the full back and then get back if needed.

Because it was his fault. No one else was refusing to pass to Calderon, no one was telling him not to pass to him. Greer didn't even look to Calderon, several times he headed towards the right and then turned back without looking.

Are you having a laugh with that "no confidence" nonsense? Seriously, why on earth would Greer have no confidence in Calderon? Why suddenly now? They worked together so well last season. Calderon linked well with Buckley, Noone and Lualua last season, too. All the evidence is that Calderon has the capability and usually the consistency to work well in that position with the players he was with today. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for greer to have no confidence in Calderon. None whatsoever.

Even when Gus criticised Calderon for neglecting his defensive duties at times last season Greer would pass to him in following matches. It made no sense.

Calderon did nothing last season to give Greer reason to not pass to him, and has done nothing so far this season to warrant it.

I'm not arguing Calderon is better than Bruno, but he is a more than capable stand in, if he is given the ball.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Acker79;5229749 I'm not arguing Calderon is better than Bruno said:
He didn't seem it yesterday as he was poor when he had the ball and offered nothing going forward at all, he was a poor imitation of the man who chased forward with gay abandon last season.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He did what he could when he got the ball. When you don't have the support of the guy next to you on the pitch and you have to chase it, you're always going to look worse than you actually are.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I think that too many people are putting too much hope and expectation on Toby making the grade, he may well do but he is not ready yet.

The glimpses I've seen of him, he looks very promising. Surely there'd have been no harm putting him on for the last 15 mins or so yesterday, as it obviously wasn't working for us up front.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I think Poyet's biggest mistake yesterday was only telling Greer half the story. He appears to have told Greer that Bruno wasn't playing, but neglected to tell hi that Calderon would be on in his place. That's the only explanation I can think off for why Greer refused to pass to Calderon, thus making us a team with ten men, and no threat down the right for Birmingham to worry about or be stretched by, creating space for us.
Greer never passes to Calderon!!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Another mistake he made - Painter.

Painter has been an unused sub three times this season: v Swindon, v Hull and v Birmingham.

Indeed, at no point in any game would his lack of talent be useful... Poyet stated the 5 subs rule was affecting his decision re youngsters & when it goes back up to 7,and we fall behind, where are the young goalscorers Caskey & Barker?? shameful

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I think Gus got it right it was the players who got it wrong. Regularly got the ball to the by line but the cossing was often weak and never got to the front post.

Also to have that amount of the ball and not take a shot was poor.

In general I think it was a good performance but next week bring your shooting boots.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
I think we missed Bruno. Him and Bridge pressing forward opens up all sorts of other spaces because the oppo have to defend the whole width of the pitch rather than shuffling across. IMO full backs are key to the modern game and the increase in the number of chances we have created this season is due directly and indirectly to our new high class full backs (apart from yesterday when one was missing).

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii

Peterborough away last season springs to mind. When Toby changed a game.

Bruno is an amazing player but Calderon has chipped in with his fair share of goals whilst playing for the club. Why Greer would have no confidence in Calderon is just a ridiculous statement.

Last edited:

BHAFC_AMEX

Feb 5, 2011
Don't get why people are saying Gus got the selection wrong. We've been playing with a particular formation through the good run. Then we get two injuries (Bruno and CMS) and we replace them like for like with Calderon (solid cover) and Dobbie who is arguably the more experienced championship player between him and Craig. Why is that "wrong"?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here