Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet got it Wrong.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Fair enough, I retract the bit about the lights. We were still shit on the pitch mind.

nick c

Mar 29, 2008
bn26
Not so sure Poyet got it wrong,as a team in the final third we failed miserably,no shots on target of any worth and our crossing yesterday was very poor,as was the corner taking.Poyet cannot be responsible for poor crossing or corners the players have to hold there hands up i'm afraid.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Yep, 100% got it wrong yesterday, there were no more than three attack minded players on the pitch at any one time yesterday, this in a HOME game when we are LOSING, I think someone forgot to switch his brain on yesterday.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Can't understand the logic in taking Buckley off, though.
First half, especially, he was turning their left back inside out.

His final ball was consistently terrible last night. You could just tell it wasn't his day. I wish Lua Lua had come on for him sooner.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not so sure Poyet got it wrong,as a team in the final third we failed miserably,no shots on target of any worth and our crossing yesterday was very poor,as was the corner taking.Poyet cannot be responsible for poor crossing or corners the players have to hold there hands up i'm afraid.

Agreed. Tactically we set up to make plenty of chances, just the final balls were poor/no one in the box on the end of them. Barring Dobbie's position I don't think Gus got much wrong considering we were missing Bruno and CMS also.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
I don't think a team that forces 12 corners has got it too far wrong, it's just that most teams would expect to create something from them.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I don't think a team that forces 12 corners has got it too far wrong, it's just that most teams would expect to create something from them.

Since Darren Currie left, I can't remember our having a player that can take a consistently good corner. The slow, floating balls we put in seem to me to be so easy to read that I wonder why we bother with them, especially with attacking players that are short (in height) by Championship standards. I think we need to develop a new plan for taking corners; they were truly woeful last night and bordering on embarrassing.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Sorry, I am normally a positive sort of chap who backs Poyet whatever but last night we got it wrong everywhere as a club. Yes the linesman got a couple of offsides wrong but to get caught that often when you know one of only two defensive tactics is pushing up is unforgivable. So is giving it to a winger who will be instantly double teamed and either lose the ball or cross it in to the keeper's arms (their other tactic). This got WORSE after we inexplicably brought on Lopez for El-Abd. I'm not sure we had a direct shot on goal all game.

Additionally when you are running a world class stadium there is no excuse at all for the floodlights failing. It's the sort of Mickey Mouse thing that happens at Selhurst. It was like watching two separate matches, neither of them very good.

Afterwards, it being Saturday night I had not one but two pints only to emerge in to a huge train queue and an excuse on twitter about 'unruly fans'. It's a f***ing football match on a Saturday night, how ruly do you want people FFS?

Only good thing was a rousing blast of 'The Famous Peter Canning Went to Rome to see The Pope' in the WSL at the end.

Hope Tuesday is a LOT better.

They were unruly because the complete IDIOTS in charge were letting half empty trains leave. Complete fucktards.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Thought the subs were fine, I don't know what Lopez brings yet but at least the corners and free-kicks improved slightly after his introduction. We pressed more when El Abd was replaced by the sweeper Hammond and Buckley for LL was an obvious switch. A few better crosses and it would have been a better result. Come back soon Bruno.
Blaming Poyet for some poor individual performances isn't fair I don't think. CMS, Bruno, Orlandi (who would have played), and Crofts all out too (although Dicker played a blinder).

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
My real concern after yesterday was the lack of depth in our squad when we get injuries.

We missed mac smith, Orlandi and Bruno who all are creative players. We had three midfielders who are the same sort of player...bridcutt, Hammond and dicker with no creativity through the middle, where Vicente and Orlandi or even Harley would have done so. I am not sure about dobbie and Lopez will take time.

Ah well, put it down to experience and move on

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think Poyet's biggest mistake yesterday was only telling Greer half the story. He appears to have told Greer that Bruno wasn't playing, but neglected to tell hi that Calderon would be on in his place. That's the only explanation I can think off for why Greer refused to pass to Calderon, thus making us a team with ten men, and no threat down the right for Birmingham to worry about or be stretched by, creating space for us.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Another mistake he made - Painter.

Painter has been an unused sub three times this season: v Swindon, v Hull and v Birmingham.

Davey Boy Smith

Jul 5, 2003
Yep.

I'd agree with the OP as well though, our shape looked a bit odd to say the least. Took off a centre half for a winger and then seemed to move Dobbie to left midfield. More than a few balls across the area with absolutely nobody attacking them. Never mind, we'll be alright on Tuesday.

The last bit in particular. Frustrating to see 3 or 4 great balls put across the 6 yard line with no one there to put them in to the goal. I think we did create a few chances but had no one to score them. A frustrating - rather than disappointing - performance... I feel like we're just 1 striker away from top 6 or better...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Gus out!

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Too many crosses were straight into Butlands arms. Buckers and Kaz were skinning the full backs, but the final balls were poor. With a packed defense, and Barnes and Dobbie who will score most of their goals with their feet, this was a waste.
When they were defending so deep, the crosses need to be pulled back, but then you need attacking midfielders that are going to arrive late, or a striker that will drop back for that sort of cross.
Barnes and Dobbie looked totally alien to each others game, often getting in each others space. Without another striker, we will be buggered without CMS.

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
This is the style of game we will face from most teams at home, a very busy midfield and the back line pushed up, which stops our passing/flowing game. We do struggle to break down teams without CMS's pace or Kaz's trickery (introduced, too late in this game). Surely playing two men out wide or using a chipped/through ball is the way to beat a packed midfield system, trying to pass intricately through it is a minefield, when you lose possession.

I like to see us start with Buckley, Kaz and CMS + Barnes deeper, try to take the lead, then change the system if needed. Bruno's quality and flair was also badly missed. I'm sure Ipswich were watching and will try to recreate what Birmingham did. Another tough game I think, unless we play more aggressively and go for an early goal.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think the biggest mistake, given the option available with the fit players available, was not having a period with Lua Lua and Buckley on at the same time attacking each full back. I cant understand that because he often used 2 out 3 when Noone was here.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Also to be fair, that was a typical Clarke set up

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here