Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet got it Wrong.

Titus

Come on!
Feb 21, 2010
Up here on the left.
There's no point blaming the officials, it was a game we should have won. The team he put out looked dodgy and from the kick-off it was obvious that it wasn't going to work. Dobbie should be played in the hole as his game is to run at defences not to wait for crosses. The Birmingham defence played well, especially Robinson and they stepped up well to catch our forwards offside on lots of occasions. We missed the speed of CMS and his ability to give defences less time on the ball. Although we looked much better after Lua Lua was introduced it made us very one-sided and predictable. We were unlucky not to get a point but that's football. Let's hope we put out a better team on Tuesday.

Last edited:

BHAWise

Oct 5, 2011
Seaford
There's no point blaming the officials, it was a game we should have won. The team he put out looked dodgy and from the kick-off it was obvious that it wasn't going to work. Dobbie should be played in the hole as his game is to run at defences not to wait for crosses. The Birmingham defence played well, especially Robinson and they stepped up well to catch our forwards offside on lots of occasions. We missed the speed of CMS and his ability to give defences less time on the ball. Although we looked much better after Lua Lua was introduced it made us very one-sided and predictable. We were unlucky not to get a point but that's football. Let's hope we put out a better team on Tuesday.

Straight from kickoff? We could and should of scored in the first 20 seconds. If yesterday was as bad as it get this will be a great season

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
95% of the time he gets it right. I'll forgive him.

Yep.

I'd agree with the OP as well though, our shape looked a bit odd to say the least. Took off a centre half for a winger and then seemed to move Dobbie to left midfield. More than a few balls across the area with absolutely nobody attacking them. Never mind, we'll be alright on Tuesday.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Without a skilful, strong target man, we are unlikely to make the play offs this season. Gus (and the Board) needs to address this long outstanding issue and soon. Greatly enjoying our lofty position but you just know in your heart that it isn't going to last.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
I didn't see the game, but we were missing key players. It'll take time to find the right role for the new players.

However, i didnt like the structure of the team when i heard it. Isn't this just the same old story that we lack the options to create the final ball. CMS has been making all the difference, but without him we are still a target player short.

However, it's not so bad. We still dominated the game and a few tweaks to the structure by Gus can make all the difference.

Onwards and upwards -oh but we're at the top already!

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Without a skilful, strong target man, we are unlikely to make the play offs this season. Gus (and the Board) needs to address this long outstanding issue and soon. Greatly enjoying our lofty position but you just know in your heart that it isn't going to last.

Problem is against the better teams we are struggling, got a tough run coming up soon, will show us if we're good enough for the play offs

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
What I saw was Dobbie dropping too deep. Result was that there was no one right up front where CMS usually is. How many times were crosses played and there was no one in the middle?

Dobbie is clearly a different type of player to CMS but I don't think we changed the formation of the side to reflect this.

In Gus I trust but think he got it wrong last night.

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
Can't understand the logic in taking Buckley off, though.
First half, especially, he was turning their left back inside out.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Every game this season we have played well enough to get something from the game with the exception of Swindon-i see only good things this season-no negativity here.

Tuesday Ipswich had better watch out,won't be easy for us against a team in a slump,but let them come at us and don't sit back and we could have a field day.

Some things Money can't buy?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
What I saw was Dobbie dropping too deep. Result was that there was no one right up front where CMS usually is. .

Yep... he had nobody to play off... AB was virtually anonymous meaning Dobbie had to try and create as well .... but I liked his skill and endeavour....

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sorry, I am normally a positive sort of chap who backs Poyet whatever but last night we got it wrong everywhere as a club. Yes the linesman got a couple of offsides wrong but to get caught that often when you know one of only two defensive tactics is pushing up is unforgivable. So is giving it to a winger who will be instantly double teamed and either lose the ball or cross it in to the keeper's arms (their other tactic). This got WORSE after we inexplicably brought on Lopez for El-Abd. I'm not sure we had a direct shot on goal all game.

Additionally when you are running a world class stadium there is no excuse at all for the floodlights failing. It's the sort of Mickey Mouse thing that happens at Selhurst. It was like watching two separate matches, neither of them very good.

Afterwards, it being Saturday night I had not one but two pints only to emerge in to a huge train queue and an excuse on twitter about 'unruly fans'. It's a f***ing football match on a Saturday night, how ruly do you want people FFS?

Only good thing was a rousing blast of 'The Famous Peter Canning Went to Rome to see The Pope' in the WSL at the end.

Hope Tuesday is a LOT better.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So how come the lights and tills in the concourse were working and the stands and executive boxes were still lit up?

Ever heard of emergency generators ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I guess the floodlights are more sensitive. They also have to be rebooted.

They have to be turned on in phases due to power consumption, just flick the switch and it will take of everything else electrical

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
Can't understand the logic in taking Buckley off, though.
First half, especially, he was turning their left back inside out.

Buckley asked to come off

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not so sure Poyet got it wrong but when attacking no-one was looking for space for a through ball which is CMS best part of attacking

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here