Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet: Does he understand CMS?

FKalinx

Aug 18, 2006
It strikes me that we are not playing to CMS' strengths at all. If you look at all his goals for Peterborough, they came from balls being played through and him running on the shoulder of the last man. Look at what havoc he wrought at Leeds. I bet CMS wishes we either had a real target man like Lambert to knock down the balls for him or a centre mid who can unlock defences with that splitting pass.

The thing that has left me scratching my head is that Poyet doesn't seem to be learning this. At no point this season have we been playing CMS to his strengths. I wonder how long it will be before CMS gets frustrated. His body language looks frustrated at times and I can't blame him.

I sat next to an annoying Saints fan who couldn't believe CMS came to us and not them. He did make a valid point: how good would Lambert and CMS be together. I wonder if CMS thought the same yday and is beginning to wonder if Poyet is the right man to further his career. Thoughts?

punter

Nov 4, 2011
It strikes me that we are not playing to CMS' strengths at all. If you look at all his goals for Peterborough, they came from balls being played through and him running on the shoulder of the last man. Look at what havoc he wrought at Leeds. I bet CMS wishes we either had a real target man like Lambert to knock down the balls for him or a centre mid who can unlock defences with that splitting pass.

The thing that has left me scratching my head is that Poyet doesn't seem to be learning this. At no point this season have we been playing CMS to his strengths. I wonder how long it will be before CMS gets frustrated. His body language looks frustrated at times and I can't blame him.

I sat next to an annoying Saints fan who couldn't believe CMS came to us and not them. He did make a valid point: how good would Lambert and CMS be together. I wonder if CMS thought the same yday and is beginning to wonder if Poyet is the right man to further his career. Thoughts?

so right! towards the end of the game, painter(marcos) spotted him on several occassions making diagonal runs which although were not in dangerous areas as such, he was forcing their back line further and further back which allowed us a breather ....

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
the day he signed gus said we will play to his strenghts and build the team around him.......has never happened

D

Deleted member 2719

I have thought this for sometime myself but was hoping Gus may change and i am still waiting to see whether Billy can help CMS (looks unlikely) a ball just over the top for CMS to run on would be good to see i would have though Bridcutt had this in his tool bag.

Hats off to CMS for not throwing any hissy fits, i think i would have been!!

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton

I dont think Saints bidded... It was us, west ham leicester. Definitely need to play more to his strengths though.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
His Scottish accent is not that strong so he should be able to understand him.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008

I completely agree.

The confusing thing is, how many goals did we score last year with good balls over the top? I reckon Greer must have indirectly had about seven/eight assists by playing the ball through for Barnes or Murray to run on to. Watching the recent STH DVD only reinforces this point.

Unfortunately this tactic seems to have gone completely out of the window this season, which is what I think CMS would thrive on (and did so at Peterborough). I know you could put it down to superior defending, but teams like Barnsley hardly have a Vidic or Ferdinand playing at the back do they?

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill

You mean he wishes he had signed for us :lolol:

D

Deleted member 18477

We had a target man - Murray
We had a brilliant passer who crossed and slipped balls through - Bennett

We let them both go. So we move on. This seasons objective was to trial out the championship and survive. And in doing so maybe finish mid table ish. Next year could be very interesting. Mark my words!

P.s in response to the original post: Poyet signed Vicente to thread balls through - always injured
And Buckley to take defenders on a whip balls in - also always injured.
We have been unlucky. Bit harsh to have a go at our Gus just yet!

Last edited by a moderator:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here