Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet - baffled

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
1) Why play Barnes as a wideman? Virtually anonymous yesterday, both defensively and going forward. He spent the entire game out wide until Buckley (eventually!) came on. His main attributes are surely his knack of goalscoring and ability to put in a decent shift of defensive work too. But, if we're creating nothing and chasing a game, Buckey is surely the man. If you do have to play Barnes in a midfield role, play him on the left (which has worked well a lot of the time this season) and make sure we have some creative/attacking intent on the right.

2) Kazenga. What the hell has he done wrong? I didn't go to Hull, but can only assume he had a shocker, as we've barely seen him since? Must be crap in training. Granted the sending off screwed us over in terms of subs yesterday, but it's still very odd that he's so rarely been seen.

3) Been said before, but why is he against the idea of CMS and Vokes? Is it just because he doesn't want the temptation of us playing the ball long every now and then, and thus going against Poyet's views of how football should be played? Seems crazy really, spend major money on a front man and take him off after an hour each week.

4) Subs. Any danger of him making changes a bit earlier than the hour mark when we're struggling? Blackpool bossed the game yesterday from the 10th minute onwards, very odd that he didn't make changes at all at half time.

All a bit strange really. Yes he's a young manager and still learning, yes it's been a great season so far, but these particular issues are frustrating to say the least.

D

Deleted member 18477

sometimes i actually wonder if poyet really wants to go up this season...

sometimes i wonder if he'd prefer to build for a mega strong season next year in an automatic place...

sometimes he baffles me too...

sometimes he proves me wrong though...

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
sometimes i feel like throwing my hands up in the air.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
On point 1: Barnes is one of our best players and is versatile so his selection speaks for itself.
On point 3: If you play Vokes and CMS which one goes to the wide striker role? CMS is best in the 6 yard box and Vokes is best through the middle so unless we change our formation then they wont play together!

It's not his selection i'm questioning, I'm far from a fan of the player but you can't argue with his goals and assists over the season. It's the way he's being used that's bizarre, especially after his recent goals, it seems crazy sticking him so far out wide.

With a squad as ridiculously big as ours, you'd expect formation changes every now and again, especially in games where we're being battered, such as yesterday. It doesn't happen. If we're losing a game, should CMS really be substituted? I think not. Really can't see him being here next season, sadly.

cw00

Mar 29, 2009
Manchester
give me your number, ill pass it on to tony and put in a good word for you:shootself

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
It's not his selection i'm questioning, I'm far from a fan of the player but you can't argue with his goals and assists over the season. It's the way he's being used that's bizarre, especially after his recent goals, it seems crazy sticking him so far out wide.

With a squad as ridiculously big as ours, you'd expect formation changes every now and again, especially in games where we're being battered, such as yesterday. It doesn't happen. If we're losing a game, should CMS really be substituted? I think not. Really can't see him being here next season, sadly.

I do agree with you there. Why take CMS off and replace him with Vokes. Take Navarro/ Bridcutt off, get two wingers on and go for it. As for LuaLua I think he has been dropped especially away from home just because the defensive aspect of his game isn't as good as Noone. But I expect to see Buckley start on Tuesday

D

Deleted User X18H

1) Why play Barnes as a wideman? Virtually anonymous yesterday, both defensively and going forward. He spent the entire game out wide until Buckley (eventually!) came on. His main attributes are surely his knack of goalscoring and ability to put in a decent shift of defensive work too. But, if we're creating nothing and chasing a game, Buckey is surely the man. If you do have to play Barnes in a midfield role, play him on the left (which has worked well a lot of the time this season) and make sure we have some creative/attacking intent on the right.

2) Kazenga. What the hell has he done wrong? I didn't go to Hull, but can only assume he had a shocker, as we've barely seen him since? Must be crap in training. Granted the sending off screwed us over in terms of subs yesterday, but it's still very odd that he's so rarely been seen.

3) Been said before, but why is he against the idea of CMS and Vokes? Is it just because he doesn't want the temptation of us playing the ball long every now and then, and thus going against Poyet's views of how football should be played? Seems crazy really, spend major money on a front man and take him off after an hour each week.

4) Subs. Any danger of him making changes a bit earlier than the hour mark when we're struggling? Blackpool bossed the game yesterday from the 10th minute onwards, very odd that he didn't make changes at all at half time.

All a bit strange really. Yes he's a young manager and still learning, yes it's been a great season so far, but these particular issues are frustrating to say the least.

Don't think any of those question's need to be asked really. We are 8th in the Championship with 9 games to play.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Thing is, Reyes was being done time and time again for pace yesterday, Barnes offered no protection for him at all...ah, frustrating.

Hopefully he'll get the team right on Tuesday night. It'd be nice to see a bit of positivity in the midfield selection in particular.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I don't understand him all the time but he gets paid to pick football teams and I have to pay to watch them.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The only thing I don't get is CMS as he should be on the pitch much longer, hopefully we will be 4-4-2 on Tuesday

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Don't think any of those question's need to be asked really. We are 8th in the Championship with 9 games to play.

think you've probably been on NSC long enough to know that I'm not the sort of person who'll adopt a "oh well, could be worse" attitude and completely ignore any possible faults. If there weren't things that Gus could do better, we'd be top of the Championship. Always room for improvement.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
think you've probably been on NSC long enough to know that I'm not the sort of person who'll adopt a "oh well, could be worse" attitude and completely ignore any possible faults. If there weren't things that Gus could do better, we'd be top of the Championship. Always room for improvement.

It could be that Gus is wrong and if only he tried out what you're suggesting then we'd be top of the league.

Or maybe he knows the team just slightly better than you and me, has tried all of the above in training and found that in fact they don't work, at least not alongside the tactics that have got us to such a fantastic position this year.

It never ceases to amaze me just how much people think they know better than someone who has worked in the game his whole life and sees each of the players he coaches more or less every single day.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
It could be that Gus is wrong and if only he tried out what you're suggesting then we'd be top of the league.

Or maybe he knows the team just slightly better than you and me, has tried all of the above in training and found that in fact they don't work, at least not alongside the tactics that have got us to such a fantastic position this year.

It never ceases to amaze me just how much people think they know better than someone who has worked in the game his whole life and sees each of the players he coaches more or less every single day.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people don't understand the difference between enjoying comparing/debating opinions, and thinking they know better.

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
Withdean Wanderer's got a point. Just because someone questions something, doesn't mean they're moaning about it or insisting the manager doesn't know what he's doing, as some people like to suggest. I don't get why people are so defensive about someone posing a question. Billy Paynter was the prime example of this. The majority of us could not any sort of redeeming quality from him on the pitch, yet Gus persisted with playing him and defended his decision to do so. Fair enough but that doesn't mean everyone should just swallow it and start believing he was right to do so.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Maybe I'm old fashioned but I thought the plan was going to be this:- Someone runs down the wing, crosses the ball, Vokes knocks it down to a waiting CMS. End of.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here