Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter SHREDDED by Cascarino

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Against Southampton and Leicester we have been caught upfield going for a goal and ended up losing as a result. Both were gambles, the first time when down to ten men and the second against a team that is fantastic on the break. If you're going to take that risk, you can't afford to make the sort of basic errors that we did on each occasion.

Whilst you’re here, very good on the Albion Roar but I will make one exception - your analyses of England and in particular the WC was very harsh. Just thought I’d say... we’ve beaten many ‘good teams’ recently in competitive games and we’re a breath of fresh air - you seemed too negative for me...

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Against Southampton and Leicester we have been caught upfield going for a goal and ended up losing as a result. Both were gambles, the first time when down to ten men and the second against a team that is fantastic on the break. If you're going to take that risk, you can't afford to make the sort of basic errors that we did on each occasion.

We gambled in the last minute against Everton though and it paid off.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
He did.

But actually, IMO Leicester were brilliant, and whilst the goals we conceded were largely down to individual errors, we got what we deserved.

Just outclassed, nothing wrong with that.

Yes. Leicester were brilliant and 2-0 was the right scoreline.

Though, I think "outclassed" is too strong, we were on top for long periods and suffered from some dodgy (at best) referring.

We should be taking plenty of positives, there are lessons to learn sure (more attacking-wise than defending in my view), but we weren't that far off them.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yes. Leicester were brilliant and 2-0 was the right scoreline.

Though, I think "outclassed" is too strong, we were on top for long periods and suffered from some dodgy (at best) referring.

We should be taking plenty of positives, there are lessons to learn sure (more attacking-wise than defending in my view), but we weren't that far off them.

We had an okay spell at the beginning of the second half, but created nothing particularly clear-cut - I think you are being a quite generous. :)

IMO we were a long way off them.

Nobodies fault, just how it was.

We can agree on a very poor referring display though................................. again.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
He's more or less right about tactics, but I thought the booing at the end was aimed at The Complete and Utter Shyster, not Vardy. I didn't hear any abuse directed at Vardy.

Word for word that's exactly how l saw it too. He was quite right about the tactics, we did give Vardy and his fellow speedy Leicester forwards far too much space to run into, but that said Potter hasn't got his tactics wrong very often so far this season.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That last paragraph is pure fiction.

Ridiculous.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I thought they tore through us first 30mins, and a combination of a bit of good fortune and poor finishing kept us in the game. He was given far too much space as was Perez. Leicester's tactics worked well because they kept their front 3 well spaced out, and Solly in particular really struggled with working out if should mark Perez or not. As [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] has said above, a lot of that was down to Dunk's absence and no clear leadership voice back there.

Fact is they didn’t score in that period we grew into the game and indeed looked the better of the second half until they broke away from a corner and scored a second from a dubious penalty decision.....no abuse against Vardy to my ears plenty to Maddison who deserved it all having learnt nothing from being carded last season and subsequently sent off for diving....abuse at end of game aimed at Michael......”journalist” obviously likes a bit of fiction

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
cascarino.jpg

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Erm, I’m not sure if you were at the game, but it 100% was 5 atb in first half. March hardly ventured over the half way line in his LWB position.

This was switched at half time to what looked a more conventional 4-4-2/4-4-1-1.

The formation is flexible. March was deep as Brighton spend the majority of the first half defending. It may well have started with 5 at the back, but the first half definitely ended with 4 at the back. Remember seeing Burn play from the left and pushing forward on the flank on a few occasions with Webster and Duffy playing as a pair. At least, that’s what it looked like from my vantage point in the North Stand! Whoscored (linked it earlier) certainly supports that.

Either way, it was definitely 4 at the back for the second half. Which was when Leicester scored. Which undermines the point the ‘pundit’ was trying to make.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Writing in his 'Weekend Talking Points' column in The Times today. A well regarded figure in the game and a highly respected columnist, he doesn't mince his words.

"Graham Potter has come in with a new idea of how he wants to play with Brighton. But I thought he used the worst tactic you could ever implement against Jamie Vardy - three at the back with wing backs. I was amazed that that was what he was planning as soon as I saw the team sheet. What that gives a striker like Vardy is space. The wing backs push forward, and the wider two of the three at the back inevitably push out a bit to cover more space. That creates gaps around them, and is inevitably a recipe for disaster against Vardy.

I lost count of the number of times he got in those gaps, and he really stuck it to the Brighton fans who were giving him stick all afternoon. I was at the game, and the abuse that rained down from the stands on the final whistle was deafening. On this evidence, Potter do well to still be in this job beyond the turn of the year. Shambolic."

That was the Man United game. I think we got caught by a hoof from the back by the old style Leicester: a rather predictable sucker punch.

Leicester controlled the game though, even when they were defending. Five out of six Mooy corners were naff.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The formation is flexible.

Either way, it was definitely 4 at the back for the second half. Which was when Leicester scored. Which undermines the point the ‘pundit’ was trying to make.

Certainly wasn’t at the start of the match. It changed to four very early on though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
He's more or less right about tactics, but I thought the booing at the end was aimed at The Complete and Utter Shyster, not Vardy. I didn't hear any abuse directed at Vardy.
Its what I've been saying on here for weeks and it takes an ex pro for the gimps on here to see it.
This is a major flaw in Potterball. His tactics are shocking. It will only get worse from here on

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Its what I've been saying on here for weeks and it takes an ex pro for the gimps on here to see it.
This is a major flaw in Potterball. His tactics are shocking. It will only get worse from here on

It's an interesting one - it works against the 'lesser' teams, but it was really never going to against a team like Leicester. I guess he has a philosophy and style that he wants to stick to regardless of the opposition, hoping it'll come off more than it doesn't and we'll improve execution over time. We won't know until April whether it's worked or not (I know your views :smile:)

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
It's an interesting one - it works against the 'lesser' teams, but it was really never going to against a team like Leicester. I guess he has a philosophy and style that he wants to stick to regardless of the opposition, hoping it'll come off more than it doesn't and we'll improve execution over time. We won't know until April whether it's worked or not (I know your views :smile:)
The so called lesser teams will see the flaw in Potters tactics also. Certainly an easy way to get points off us.
Worrying times ahead

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here