Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pothas Way of Congratulating Sussex

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Not sure if this has been on before, but nice to see Hampshire taking their not so succesful season well;

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/cricket/display.var.1717671.0.pothas_sussex_all_about_mushtaq.php

Pothas: Sussex all about Mushtaq

From the Nic Pothas column in today's Daily Echo...

I've been asked how I would sum up Hampshire's season in a few words.

Yes, it was disappointing in a way because we didn't win any trophies, but it was probably frustrating more than anything.

There were just so many factors that went into the season.

You could not really get any momentum, it was a very disjointed season.

The weather didn't help, but I would never use that as an excuse because it was bad in most places.

advertisementBut it's fair to say that Sussex do get less rain down in Hove than many grounds in England, and that is a big advantage to them.

They also have a guy, Mushtaq, who took 90 wickets for them, and that is a big haul of wickets.

It's hard to say if the best all-round team won the league.

You certainly can't argue with Sussex's results, and they have found a formula which suits them because they have won three titles in five years.

It's not just the wickets that Mushtaq takes, it's the volume of overs he gets through.

He can while away his time at one end allowing Sussex to chop and change at the other. As a result, their other bowlers are kept fresh. He does a special job for them.

Naved is obviously their main strike bowler, and the others mainly play second fiddle to him and Mushtaq. Some people are happy to play a support role because they end up winning trophies, and you can't fault them for that.

Murray Goodwin is obviously their star batsman, and if you can get him and Chris Adams out cheaply then the others have to really fight to get them a good total for their bowlers to bowl at.

It's fair to say they don't have many batsmen to write home about - if you put them up against ours, perhaps only Goodwin would get in our line-up.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Not sure if this has been on before, but nice to see Hampshire taking their not so succesful season well;

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/cricket/display.var.1717671.0.pothas_sussex_all_about_mushtaq.php

Pothas: Sussex all about Mushtaq

From the Nic Pothas column in today's Daily Echo...

I've been asked how I would sum up Hampshire's season in a few words.

Yes, it was disappointing in a way because we didn't win any trophies, but it was probably frustrating more than anything.

There were just so many factors that went into the season.

You could not really get any momentum, it was a very disjointed season.

The weather didn't help, but I would never use that as an excuse because it was bad in most places.

advertisementBut it's fair to say that Sussex do get less rain down in Hove than many grounds in England, and that is a big advantage to them.

They also have a guy, Mushtaq, who took 90 wickets for them, and that is a big haul of wickets.

It's hard to say if the best all-round team won the league.

You certainly can't argue with Sussex's results, and they have found a formula which suits them because they have won three titles in five years.

It's not just the wickets that Mushtaq takes, it's the volume of overs he gets through.

He can while away his time at one end allowing Sussex to chop and change at the other. As a result, their other bowlers are kept fresh. He does a special job for them.

Naved is obviously their main strike bowler, and the others mainly play second fiddle to him and Mushtaq. Some people are happy to play a support role because they end up winning trophies, and you can't fault them for that.

Murray Goodwin is obviously their star batsman, and if you can get him and Chris Adams out cheaply then the others have to really fight to get them a good total for their bowlers to bowl at.

It's fair to say they don't have many batsmen to write home about - if you put them up against ours, perhaps only Goodwin would get in our line-up.

It is funny really. 3 championships in 4 years and yet the other teams are still bitter and think they are better than us!!!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

What sh*t - perhaps the other way round.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
:tosser:

if all you need to win the title is an international legspinner then how come Pants are so shit...?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
They have on of the best spin bowlers in the world and did not utilise his as much as we did Mushy. Why not?

What a bitter little man.

The boffins of Salford University also came up with some statistics that proved Lancashire would have won the title if they had not had so much rain or lost so many tosses. :shrug: I could have saved them some time and told them that they could have won the County Championship, had they beaten us or not fallen 25 runs short of the Surry total.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I like this article;

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/cricket/s/1017795_luck_of_the_toss_cost_lancs

Luck of the toss cost Lancs

27/ 9/2007

LANCASHIRE were robbed of their first county cricket championship title outright in more than 70 years by unlucky coin tosses and wet weather, academics have claimed.

Lancs fell agonisingly short of securing the top spot after they failed to chase down a mammoth total of 489 by just 25 runs last weekend.

Their final match defeat to Surrey handed Sussex the honours for the second year running and denied Lancashire a first title win outright since 1934 - they shared the championship with Surrey in 1950.

But researchers at the University of Salford have produced a "shadow" league table for the season which shows Lancashire were the rightful victors.

Mike Watkinson's team would have beaten Sussex by five points if factors such as the toss of the coin and disruption from rain were removed from the equation.

Value

Professor David Forrest of Salford University and his PhD student Ron Dorsey studied county championship matches since 1993 to determine the value of the coin toss to teams and the negative impact caused by the loss of play to rain.

This season they found that Sussex won three more tosses in the season than Lancashire and played nearly three full days of extra cricket, thanks to less disruption from rain.

These factors, according to the statistical adjustments, were decisive in taking the championship to the south coast instead of Old Trafford.

Furthermore, as runners-up Durham got to play 14 full days more than bottom club Worcestershire, the new league table shows the men from the North East would actually be nearer the relegation zone in sixth.

In their research paper, due to be published in the Journal of Sports Sciences, the academics suggest that the cricketing authorities should make several changes to the rules to improve the fairness of the league table. These include removing the coin toss and, instead, having the away team decide who bats first. They also advocate rescheduling matches to feature a more intensive period of play during the usually drier months of July and August.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
This season they found that Sussex won three more tosses in the season than Lancashire and played nearly three full days of extra cricket, thanks to less disruption from rain.

3 more days, and we FINISH teams in 2 and a half days on top of that!
none of this day 3 or 4 NONSENSE

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

3 more days, and we FINISH teams in 2 and a half days on top of that!
none of this day 3 or 4 NONSENSE

Totally agree Mendoza, especially when you look at this stat (from the sussex board)...

Below in the combined number of overs bowled and faced for each team in Div1. Whilst it is a slightly different measure, they might be useful if anyone complains that the weather at Hove is better than everywhere else.

Surrey 4426
Hants 4416
Durham 4374.5
Warwicks 4314.4
Lancs 4166.5
Yorks 4152.5
Sussex 4075
Kent 4060.4
Worcs 3692.2

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
LV County Championship - Division One
Lancashire: 301 & 133
Sussex: 274 & 268
Sussex beat Lancashire by 108 runs

Sussex: 235 & 145-5
Lancashire: 330 & 206-8
Sussex drew with Lancashire

I reckon those science guys should not only take coin tosses and weather out of the equation but also the results from matches where Sussex play Lancashire.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yeah, we signed MUSHY who seems to have done rather a good job for us whereas they could only manage to sign the most recognised spin bowler (& one of the best ever) the world has ever seen.

Lucky old Sussex eh. If only we'd been saddled with a brand new test standard ground and enough money to sign Shane Warne like poor old Hampshire.

I think I dislike Hampshire more than Slurry or Kent these days.

Lancashire: 301 & 133
Sussex: 274 & 268
Sussex beat Lancashire by 108 runs

Sussex: 235 & 145-5
Lancashire: 330 & 206-8
Sussex drew with Lancashire

I reckon those science guys should not only take coin tosses and weather out of the equation but also the results from matches where Sussex play Lancashire.

... and then add in an allowance for the fact that when we play Lancashire we can't even be bovvered to get most of the batting points that are on offer.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
you'd be in company with most at Hove - certainly Chris Adams reserves most of his competitive ire for the inhabitants of the toilet bowl... (I was interested to read Justin Langer's views on CC Div One cricket with his fat AussieGerman pal apparently telling him that it's "proper cut-throat cricket"...)

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol

Mushy bowled 464 overs in 15 games v Warne's 438 in 15 games. But Mushy got 90 wickets as against Warne's 50. Nothing to do with the number of overs they got through. Bitterness is not a nice trait.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
In their research paper, due to be published in the Journal of Sports Sciences, the academics suggest that the cricketing authorities should make several changes to the rules to improve the fairness of the league table. These include removing the coin toss for all Sussex matches and, instead, having the other team decide who bats first. They also advocate rescheduling matches to feature a more intensive period of play during the March and April when Sussex bat with the opposing team batting in July and August.

Well, it would only be fair

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
What Pothas is saying is true from a certain point of view. We have XI players with different abilities, whereas hampshire have XI players who are all the same standard and play as a team so they see it as a team effort rather than a one man show. What he fails to mention is that the XI Hampshire players are all shite, with no winning mentality and NO trophies this season!

Shame....I blame Sussex for all those wins, its just not fair that we won most games and won the title, whereas Lancashire chocked at the death once again. HEhEhEHEHEhEHEHEHEhEhEHEHEHEHEHEH

ANyway its raining outside now, can we start to complain about that and the impact on our season!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

always been the case for me - although wankashire and their constant moaning is up there as well

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Lancashire are looking bitter and twisted. I have three words for them - SEVENTY. THREE. YEARS.

All they needed to do is hire a bowler who could get Ramprakash out - we managed it, why couldn't they?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The unfairness of the coin toss? f***ing hell, I've heard it all now. Why are they talking about this? It's mind-meltingly pathetic. They should learn to grow up a bit.

It didn't seem to be an issue before 1934.

Nor indeed, before yesterday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here