Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

POSH views on Amex

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
That's a good question.

How many grounds do have a station or a tube next door.

I can think of Albion and Millwall off the top of my head. And QPR isn't too far from a tube station.

I haven't been to Cardiff's new ground but Ninian Park was next door to a station - as was Reading's old ground. I can't think of many other stadiums, although die-hard away fans will think of some.

Many teams have a railway or tube station within, say, a seven minute walk.

Brentford
Charlton
Gillingham
Chelsea

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
To be fair to away fans the first place I'd look for information about getting to the ground is the club website. Finding the right page for the information is not that obvious. The info (once you find it) is somewhat reliant on having some local knowledge. The P&R sites don't include postcodes, or map links. The site also says "The ways of travelling to the Stadium have been listed with the most suitable first." This is private coach, followed by walking/cycling(!). That isn't even the most suitable for home fans!

A clearer, more helpful page on the website is required.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I wasn't there on Saturday but at previous games the queue to get into the shop has been for the ticket desk for collections etc. If you've wanted to go into the shop to peruse the merchandise you just walk straight past the queue and into the shop. However, it's never been made clear that this is the case so I can imagine a lot of people have given the shop a swerve as they believed they had to queue to get in.

It does seem strange to have situated the ticket office inside the shop itself, although maybe I'm speaking with the benefit of hindsight there.

I found it to be the opposite of this, on the one occasion i tried to get into the club shop before the game (Sunderland match) the queue was to get into and look around the store, they were asking if anyone was queuing for ticket collections only and they were allowed to go stright in while the rest of us queued and waited our turn to look around.

I hadn't tried to go into the shop before then as the queues had put me off (plus the beer in the concourses) the queues to pay were really long too and it did put me off from buying a new home shirt on that occasion (i will probably wait until i can get there on a non match day when they are open or if i am in central Brighton and able to get to the other store) I think that they could definitely do with either a second shop or maybe a mobile shop or 2 to help take some of the pressure off while this demand lasts

(P.S. - this isn't a moan about the club or how they are running things)

Oct 25, 2003
To be fair to away fans the first place I'd look for information about getting to the ground is the club website. Finding the right page for the information is not that obvious. The info (once you find it) is somewhat reliant on having some local knowledge. The P&R sites don't include postcodes, or map links. The site also says "The ways of travelling to the Stadium have been listed with the most suitable first." This is private coach, followed by walking/cycling(!). That isn't even the most suitable for home fans!

i ALWAYS use the football ground guide

To stadium is located at Falmer on the outskirts of Brighton, very close to the University of Sussex.

At the end of the M23, continue onto the A23, heading towards Brighton. At the roundabout which is the junction with the A27, take the A27 towards Lewes. After around four miles you will reach the stadium on your right hand side. There is no parking at the stadium for away fans (although coaches minibuses will be allowed to park providing that they have been pre-booked with the Club) and there is a large no parking zone in force around the area of the stadium on matchdays.

Park & Ride

The Club are encouraging away fans to use the free park and ride service located at Mill Hill (the Patcham turn just off the A23/A27 junction). The Park & Ride is open from 12 noon on Saturdays and 5.30pm for eveing kick offs. The last buses return from the stadium 90 minutes after the end of the game. To enter the Park & Ride facility you need to show your match ticket and please note that vehicles must removed no later than two hours after the game has ended. The capacity of the car park is 500 cars.

There are also two other Park & Ride locations aimed at home fans at Brighton Racecourse and Mithras House at Brighton University.

Map showing the location of the Amex Community Stadium (at the bottom of this page).

The nearest railway station is Falmer, which is situated right by the stadium. The stadium is located at out of twon and really is too far to walk. Either get a taxi or bus up to the stadium. Brighton & Hove Bus No 25 (Route and timetable on the Brighton & Hove Bus Company website, which shows bus stops) operates a regular service (every 12 minutes) up to the stadium from Central Brighton, as do Bus Numbers 28 & 29.

Kevin Barth informs me; 'The quickest and easiest way to get to the stadium though is by train. Falmer station is adjacent to the ground. It's three stops from Brighton central station on the line to Lewes and Seaford. Alternatively, you can avoid Brighton completely by getting a train to Lewes and changing there for Falmer. There are four trains an hour in either direction'.

the map at the bottom includes the mill road p+r

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Arsenal had a tube station re-named to Arsenal.

bolton's old Burnden Park had a railway line running right behind one end.

Hull City's Bootferry park had its own dedicated railway halt.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Or clearer website. American Express Community Stadium

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
St.Mary's has a railway platform, which is ridiculously not usable.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Brentford
Charlton
Gillingham
Chelsea

I think that Brentford and Gillingham are bit more than seven minutes - there are lot of clubs with stations close by but I was looking for ones virtually next to the ground.

Chelsea's a good call - not very frequent trains though.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Any away fan can find out the details of P&R, the train etc by looking here.

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/brighton_and_hove_albion/

As I did with Captain Haddock and Turkey before driving to Cardiff. It was a pleasant surprise to be able to park right next to the away entrance, when I had expected to have to park at a vegetable market. For most away grounds it's nothing like as easy though, and public transport access is nowhere near as good. For example, Coventry, where I parked in a farmer's field, Northampton, Wycombe, Yeovil, etc.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
That's a good question.

How many grounds do have a station or a tube next door?

I can think of Albion and Millwall off the top of my head. And QPR isn't too far from a tube station.

I haven't been to Cardiff's new ground but Ninian Park was next door to a station - as was Reading's old ground. I can't think of many other stadiums, although die-hard away fans will think of some.
I used to live in the next road down from elm park and i can assure you it was not next to the train station,actually it was over 2 miles away,the madejski is nearly 3 miles away from the station.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11

Brentford
Charlton
Gillingham
Chelsea

Exeter (named after the ground I would presume)
Portsmouth (about the same distance at the Goldstone from Hove Station)
Norwich (superb location, and made me wish the station site had been available)
Ipswich

Sure there are plenty of others though. One ground that is exceptionally badly located is Elland Road. You are faced either with a two mile walk or a bus ride with less than friendly home fans, and dreadful signposting as to where to buy tickets for the journey back to the city (I had got a taxi down there). Parking is none too easy either.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Firstly, I absolutely love the stadium, (don't want any blue paint or panels), as it is currently light and airy. Had no transport problems and my WSU seat is great.
However, from my seat my only disappointment would be the stands behind the goals. Not to fussed about away end as it seems generally big enough but would have preferred a bigger "kop" type north stand.
Appreciate the location and taking the Downs into consideration, constraints were imposed on design.
Once the East stand upper tier is built and corners in-filled am sure both stands will look perfect.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I used to live in the next road down from elm park and i can assure you it was not next to the train station,actually it was over 2 miles away,the madejski is nearly 3 miles away from the station.

I was thinking about Reading West - which was about 500m away (just looked it up). I thought it was a lot closer than that, amazing how memory plays tricks.

Norwich (superb location, and made me wish the station site had been available)

One ground that is exceptionally badly located is Elland Road. You are faced either with a two mile walk or a bus ride with less than friendly home fans, and dreadful signposting as to where to buy tickets for the journey back to the city (I had got a taxi down there). Parking is none too easy either.

Norwich is a fair walk from the station. Just looked it up and it's over half a mile. OK, I know that's not a great distance but it's scarcely next door.

Elland Road is a horror though. Not only is it a long walk but the away end is a separate exit well away from the rest of the ground, so if you're coming from there, they know you're an away supporter.

sammy g

I think, having see many views of fans from various clubs, that Falmer gets compared to the "if Carlsberg did stadiums" school of thought and any ground in some peoples eyes will come up short, be it location, exposed piping or plastic atmosphere. Its a mix of jealously and impossible expectation.
I for one, think it brilliant and f***ing love it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here