Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

POSH views on Amex

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Amazed at the number of comments about the location and preference for city-centre stadiums. I'm sure we'd all like stadiums like that but just how many city centre grounds have been built in the last 15 years? Outside of London, every new ground in the country is outside the town centre and the Amex is better served than most.

Don't these supporters travel to other grounds?

Derby and Sunderland are pretty central ...

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I have to agree with the opinions on the North Stand - it does look like a temporary bank of seats in front of a wall. Not as imposing as a home end should be - although I noticed a few flags and banners going up behind the seats on Saturday ...

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Think we have to accept that The Amex is our field of dreams. Away fans unfamiliar with the travel arrangements, not understanding the potential for expansion will not see it as we do. Especially if they lose. At least Saturday was sunny and warm. Think of the moans on a wet, cold winters day.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
They were disappointed not to get into the Club Shop before the game (mahoosive queue). After the game, they were cheesed off enough to queue for the train straight away, but persuaded them to come back for a beer.

I wasn't there on Saturday but at previous games the queue to get into the shop has been for the ticket desk for collections etc. If you've wanted to go into the shop to peruse the merchandise you just walk straight past the queue and into the shop. However, it's never been made clear that this is the case so I can imagine a lot of people have given the shop a swerve as they believed they had to queue to get in.

It does seem strange to have situated the ticket office inside the shop itself, although maybe I'm speaking with the benefit of hindsight there.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Think we have to accept that The Amex is our field of dreams. .

indeed, it should be embraced by the city as well, as the town has been buzzing with shirts on matchdays, media coverage has been higher than ever.

A few signs with directions to the stadium in the middle of town, maybe billboards advertising matches, I dont really know what, but if the council and the club put their heads together, Im sure they (along with us) can make the city more football mad than it already is.

Maybe even on the spot fines for under 15s wearing Premier League shirts?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I have to agree with the opinions on the North Stand - it does look like a temporary bank of seats in front of a wall. Not as imposing as a home end should be - although I noticed a few flags and banners going up behind the seats on Saturday ...

There is a massive and unused area behind the North Stand - I can imagine there are plans, informal or otherwise at this stage, to use that space for something - could more hospitality boxes be accommodated?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I wasn't there on Saturday but at previous games the queue to get into the shop has been for the ticket desk for collections etc. If you've wanted to go into the shop to peruse the merchandise you just walk straight past the queue and into the shop. However, it's never been made clear that this is the case so I can imagine a lot of people have given the shop a swerve as they believed they had to queue to get in.

It does seem strange to have situated the ticket office inside the shop itself, although maybe I'm speaking with the benefit of hindsight there.

This time they 'funneled' (for want of a better word) everyone into one queue so that there was none of that.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Derby and Sunderland are pretty central ...

Not been to Derby but I wouldn't describe Sunderland as that central - it's a good 20 minute walk back to the city centre - although I agree it's closer to the centre than the Amex is.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
indeed, it should be embraced by the city as well, as the town has been buzzing with shirts on matchdays, media coverage has been higher than ever.

A few signs with directions to the stadium in the middle of town, maybe billboards advertising matches, I dont really know what, but if the council and the club put their heads together, Im sure they (along with us) can make the city more football mad than it already is.

Maybe even on the spot fines for under 15s wearing Premier League shirts?
The months fixtures always used to be posted on little billboards outside the King Alfred, the Royal Albion hotel and under the arches by the Volks Bar ......ah memories :)

Oct 25, 2003
i don't understand..........is the amex a soulless concrete bowl, that is identical to every other soulless concrete bowl, or does it look a bit 'weird' and different?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I was with Chris from Standing on the Glebe (posh podcast) and four of his mates. They parked near my house (probably about the closest to the city centre you can get for free parking - save Hanover), as to try to explain to someone not familiar with the area where to park would have been a palaver.

They were all impressed by the stadium, the design, the pies (big plus), the Harvey's (bigger plus still) and the general way in which they feel the average fan is being looked after throughout. They were disappointed not to get into the Club Shop before the game (mahoosive queue). After the game, they were cheesed off enough to queue for the train straight away, but persuaded them to come back for a beer.

They found the view opposite to the North Stand a bit weird too ('unfinished'), but then they went for a beer in the East, and took pictures, they saw the design made a lot more sense.

They feel Posh are missing a trick in not incorporating some of the ideas into their new stands at London Road.
Overall - they really liked it, and result notwithstanding, had a good day out.

I met Chris (assuming he's the beardy fella?) in the north stand concourse after. He said he could see their Chairman looking round the place in awe and clearly thinking "we need one of these".

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Another post:
Personally, I really liked the AMEX. I think it is probably the best new build stadium I've been to apart from Wembley. Who ever it was on here that said they prefer MK is either a wind up merchant or mental. At least the AMEX looks finished, and there is no worry about getting a 200mph wind down your neck because they haven't finished putting the cladding on the side! I thought the whole place was impressive inside and out. It seemed to have some sense of character to it that most new builds lack. The three tier stand, the way the roofing is shaped etc. It was also clear that it had been built with expansion in mind, taking a look at the girders on the side opposite to the three tier stand showed that another tier could be easily added. Personally if we ended up with something even near the standard of the AMEX I'd be pleased, although I would much prefer to stay in the town centre.

I also thought he stewarding was good, no hassling at all, (possibly even a little too tolerant when it came to a few 'characters') and they all seemed happy characters and proud of their new home. The refreshments were of a good quality, if a little overpriced, I had a great steak & kidney pie, the only qualm was that the Harveys had ran out. As for getting to, and leaving the stadium I didn't think it was too much of a problem. We took a slow exit from the stadium (not even stopping for a beer), joined the queue for the train station and got on the second train we saw, I think we were back in the centre of Brighton around 5.30pm-ish. In all I thought it was a great away day!

-------

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Having re-read it, that's the bit that got me. There are so many reasons why it suggests the person has no idea about football. Firstly, why would you want to/need to be able to see the pitch? If you really wanted to, go take your seat. Secondly, the same person also mentioned wanting a beer. Are they familiar with a very well-known law about drinking in grounds? Thirdly, apart from the ex-non league grounds that don't really have a concourse at all and have food stands in the corners, how many grounds CAN you see the pitch from the concourse at? What a strange complaint.

As you say, there is the no alcohol in view of the pitch rule, which makes MK's concourses utterly useless, as they are virtually empty while everyone crowds into the bar for a beer. I agree with the point over the North Stand. I would have preferred us to have more seats behind both goals, say 3500, so that the South could always have Albion fans in - very few clubs now give away fans a whole end in the top two divisions - QPR, Peterborough, Doncaster and Barnsley and us possibly, and with a steeper rake (my view in Row O is fine, but nearer the front it must be poor). They could still have kept the individual look by having them as single-tier stands, but the North does look strange with that bare wall. I asked Mr Hebberd why it hadn't been considered to have bigger end stands, but I couldn't get him to understand the point I was making.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I do have to agree with the bare concrete, there is masses of it and i cannot understand why blue panels cannot be put up, it really would make the place look so, so much better. If you look at Old trafford for example, all the barriers have red panels with man Utd signs all over them and no bare concrete, the emirates is similar too.

If we have suggestions for the stadium, who do we email or speak to?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here