shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Move along folks, nothing to see here </Chief Wiggum>

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Is it just me that doesn't give a f*** what other fans think? I love it and that's all that matters. Any detractors are just jealous and petty.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Nice fr outside but inside just pure concrete looked like any other identical concourse of a new ground. Big stand very nice but other 3 stands far too much empty room again looks too much plain concrete. Nice that no corners but wasted areas again.

Food and drink a rip off like wembley

There's out of town and then there's brightons, madness. Closest place to park we found was approx 30-40 min walk

-------

Contrary to emerging force of opinion I liked the stadium. A lot.

I thought the design was as innovative and interesting as could be expected in a commercial venture. The weird bits at least draw you into having an opinion about the place.

Having a roof and a sense of enclosure really helps the atmosphere (20000 ponies for Xmas aside).

What really did it for me though was not the design , architecture or atmosphere. The club were clearrky focussed on custome service. The lack if queues for refreshments, the quality of the refreshments , the tv's playing posh focussed footie and helpful and friendly stewarding all made it a good experience when we finally got there.

Which leads me to the big downside. The location. It's shite. The malaise of modern life is the f***ing queues.

Oh and I got sun burnt there. That's rubbish too.

-------

I liked it, a lot, except for that one strange opposite end to the away fans end. Does not look finished? Went by Coach,which parked at the top of the steps down into the away South end, so no problem whatsover. Prices a bit high in the Concourse but good selection, good service. Been to many,many worse.

-------

I liked it a lot too. That big stand is amazing & the sound is immense. Padded seats, sufficient legroom & a half decent refreshments selection are all big plus points. From the outside it looks great & the staff were polite & friendly.

On the down side - the basic concept of out of town stadia is shit

--------

If this is the future of football I would rather keep our ramshackled London Road. What is the problem with the green brigade in this area that they despise the evil motor car so much!! We went down by car, all 4 seats occupied to appease the locals. We passed the stadium and as expected there were no road signs directing you as cars are not welcome at the stadium, only pushbikes or a horse and cart. We travelled further on to Lewes where we paid for the priveledge of parking the car and buying train tickets to take us back to the stadium we had passed 10 minutes earlier. We had a pint at the pub near the train station which was ok but no atmosphere and then proceeded to the train which was about a 15 minute wait on the platform. We took about 10 minutes to travel back to falmer by train and were relieved to find that the station was right beside the stadium. First impressions of the stadium were good but i have to say that once inside i and my travelling companions were dissapointed. The concourse just did not look finished with overhead pipe work etc making it look a cheap build not the 90 million it cost. The concouse was no where near as big as MK Dons and there was no view of the pitch either. On entering the arena the first thing that struck me was the home fans behind the goal, it just did not look finished, infact the whole stadium just looked lopsided with all 4 sides different sizes. Only the main stand impressed me. The atmosphere inside just seemed plastic, with so many supporters who probably have not been to a Brighton game before or never in their life as they would not have been seen dead at The withedean. After the game it was back to the station with about 15,000 other fans. This obviously meant long queues and supporters packed into trains like sardines. Give me a town centre location surrounded by pubs and ample parking any day. We will not be returning to Brighton again and I think Brighton have shot themselves in the foot with the stadium being so away fan unfriendly.

---------

A few harsh comments I think. I liked the pictures of ex Brighton players outside the ground, a nice touch. The 3 tier stand is very impressive and reminded me of the main stand at Chelsea. Agreee that the other 3 sides are a bit strange, the home end look s like a temporary stand in front of a big wall; the 'cabins' on the side to the right of the way end gave it an appearance of a building site. I just assumed that the 3 sides are ripe for development if/when they get to the premier league. I hate to say it but I think MK Dons is the best of the new stadia that I have visited.

---------

I quite liked it apart from the odd looking end opposite us.

The concourses were great, enjoyed the slide show of Posh pictures including CMS in his Free Kicks sponsored Argentinian shirt.

Also quite liked the fact that we couldn't drive there, very easy to get to by train.

--------

Personally I was impressed with the ground - I drove and parked in Brighton, and met up with fellow Poshies in Brighton - train to falmer - which was 1.55 return and you're there. True there were queues to get back to Brighton after the game, but they also kept the bars open to accommodate those not wishing to queue.
Loved the padded seats and extra leg room - and personally felt that this new stadium was a trick that Posh were missing.
Interestingly it felt that about 8 out of 10 Brighton fans were wearing replica shirts - and as someone else commented took a positive pride in following Brighton (being top of the league probably helped). It felt that the new ground brought with it a new found optimism as well as a greater following and thereby more revenue (keeping the bar open after the game would have swelled the coffers at a minimal extra cost).
I would love it if Posh and the council had the foresight to plan something sustainable for the future.

--------

I like the stadium and, as a one-off per season, I didn't mind the train-ride there and back. Lewes station car park easy to find and at a fiver for the day (we got there fairly early and had a walk round the castle which was always my intention) was reasonable. Result apart, we had an enjoyable day.
But I wouldn't want it as my home team ground, not stuck out where it is. I wouldn't want to make that train journey 25 or 26 times a season and the thought of having to queue for a train at 11ish after a match, extra-time and penalties in January or February would make me think long and hard before attanding a cup replay

------

easy

Aug 19, 2011
East Stand: H Block
I have to agree with the unfinished look comments. The tier above the East stand will sort that side out, the exposed pipes and wires on the ceilings of the concourse looks kind of odd to me too.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Amazed at the number of comments about the location and preference for city-centre stadiums. I'm sure we'd all like stadiums like that but just how many city centre grounds have been built in the last 15 years? Outside of London, every new ground in the country is outside the town centre and the Amex is better served than most.

Don't these supporters travel to other grounds?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
We should have knocked the Pavilion down and built the stadium there

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I have to agree with the unfinished look comments. The tier above the East stand will sort that side out, the exposed pipes and wires on the ceilings of the concourse looks kind of odd to me too.

I agree too and think the north stand looks odd.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I agree with their view on the North Stand. I sat in the away end for the Eastbourne Borough game, and thought similar.
It just looks very narrow and small compared to the size of stand

The back wall seems an ideal place for fans to decorate it banners, flags etc. Might liven it up and give it more of a personalised look

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
Is it just me that doesn't give a f*** what other fans think? I love it and that's all that matters. Any detractors are just jealous and petty.

Quite agree, there seems to be an obsession from some posters on here with what away fans think of the Amex. It's like when you are a kid and you get a new bike and can't wait to show off on it to all the other kids, lets face it after a while its just another kids bike. Its a good stadium, we know its good so stuff what anyone else thinks of it.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Don't these people have to wait in queues at other grounds? some of the London games I have been to in the past have had horrendous queues at the underground stations. Or have they never tried to get out of Wembley car park? Or walked miles to the station from Watford?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here