Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Portsmouth are likely to have "no alternative" but to close on 10 August

levski seagull

Jul 7, 2003
brighton
Heard it all before ,didn't the palace administrator say the same a couple of years ago? unfortunately some mug will probably bail them out...I just wish the english football authorities has the bollocks to do to pompey and all the other clubs that cheat what the sfa/sfl did to rangers

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Cant see them coming back from this one. Too much debt. Almost certain points deduction to start the season with. No players. Not even a mug would take that over.

larus

Too much money has ruined the game. Most of the problems stem from trying to compete for the big money of premier league/Europe. The true fans are the losers here. All clubs have their twat supporters (i've seen plenty of Albion fans acting like twats), but their average, working class fan may lose their club and there's not a lot they can do. They didn't sign players on large contracts; ok, they revelled in the success, but wouldn't we. If they (or any club) goes bust, it's a sad day for football as a whole.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
The true fans are the losers here. All clubs have their twat supporters (i've seen plenty of Albion fans acting like twats), but their average, working class fan may lose their club and there's not a lot they can do.

Just out of interest, do you lose your right to be a supporter if you're not from working class stock? Do the middle class not count?

Just being a pedant. I know what you're saying and, this silly niggle aside, I agree.

larus

Just out of interest, do you lose your right to be a supporter if you're not from working class stock? Do the middle class not count?

Just being a pedant. I know what you're saying and, this silly niggle aside, I agree.

No; more as a swipe at posters on here who seem to revel in their potential demise due to their 'scum' fans. These fans are, IMO, more likely to be working class (from a rough background), but some people seem very quick to tar their fans as scum. I realise that this may seem like a generalisation on my part, but I find it astounding that any true football fan can enjoy the potential demise of a club.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
No; more as a swipe at posters on here who seem to revel in their potential demise due to their 'scum' fans. These fans are, IMO, more likely to be working class (from a rough background), but some people seem very quick to tar their fans as scum. I realise that this may seem like a generalisation on my part, but I find it astounding that any true football fan can enjoy the potential demise of a club.

Oddly enough, the Portsmouth fan that most people object to - the idiot with the hat and bell - is an antiquarian book dealer. And if that isn't middle-class, what is?

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Heard it all before ,didn't the palace administrator say the same a couple of years ago? unfortunately some mug will probably bail them out...I just wish the english football authorities has the bollocks to do to pompey and all the other clubs that cheat what the sfa/sfl did to rangers

Lucky they didn't have that attitude in 1996 eh?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
They should be forced to start again at the absolute bottom of the footballing pyramid - Scottish League Division 3

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

For the sake of their genuine supporters, I hope they are liquidated. The only asset they have is the football stadium and that is owned by the crook, Chanrai.

There is simply no hope whatsoever for Portsmouth FC . The continued crisis at Portsmouth will never be resolved without crooked owners wanting their pound of flesh. It will be a humanitarian decision to liquidate them.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
I think we paid handsomely. No ground, no home, an arsehole as chairman without this protective umbrella that seems to hang over everyone. The FA did nothing then. At least they are actually saying that there are rules. I take no joy in any club going to the wall but you can't say the two situations are comparable.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If they go into liquidation, what happens to their ground ? Can Chanerai sell it and pocket the money ?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I lived in Pompey for many a year and have lots of good friends that are Pompey fans, it is worth noting that nearly all of them want Pompey to start again and they also believe that is what they deserve. There is no point in them starting League one with a handful of youth players and coming bottom of the league. It is time to start again, the adventure itself would probably be fantastic anyway watching them steam through the leagues taking thousands to little grounds up and down the country.

Pompey do have a set of fans that are loyal and can generate an incredible atmosphere, as long as they have that, there will always be a Portsmouth FC.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
If they go into liquidation, what happens to their ground ? Can Chanerai sell it and pocket the money ?

As I understand it....yes. However, Fratton can only be used as a sports venue, so it has little value ...?..£2-3 million.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here