Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

poor old kerry mayo

skintmanblues

Feb 7, 2004
Orsham
poor old kerry mayo he cant even make the squad of 16 with all the players leaving and the injuries we have surely he could have been thought about in midfield instead of fogden all thouhh good luck to him unless of course the ginger prince is injured .

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
I think they'll end up playing for Lewes, Crawley or Eastbourne B next season. If they can't get back into the squad now, they never will.

There only real chance of another season of league football for them would be for them to be released from their contracts in January so they can look for a new club. This would free up some wages for Wilkins to pay someone who will actually have a chance of playing in the first team, or keeping a player at the club i.e. Hammond, Kuipers, etc.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Yeah, poor bloke. I would HATE it if someone gave me a contract as a professional footballer I didn't deserve and then paid me for a whole year, all in return for the odd 90 minutes of reserve team football. He must really be suffering.

But he did deserve that contract in so much that he fulfilled the criteria set out in his old one to earn a new contract.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think they'll end up playing for Lewes, Crawley or Eastbourne B next season. If they can't get back into the squad now, they never will.

There only real chance of another season of league football for them would be for them to be released from their contracts in January so they can look for a new club. This would free up some wages for Wilkins to pay someone who will actually have a chance of playing in the first team, or keeping a player at the club i.e. Hammond, Kuipers, etc.

No, it wouldn't, really. The club would still have to pay six months wages in one go. So the same money would still be used up.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Alright, fair enough. The rest of my point stands though. He's not exactly got the worst life in the world.

Although I do think his fall from grace this season has been some what spectacular when you consider he started the season at left back.

I do hope we sign Richards and then come the summer have something of a clear out in that position. Rents has not looked convincing in that position since he has come back in. However long term having Richards and Cobbs competing for that position would not be too bad.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
No, it wouldn't, really. The club would still have to pay six months wages in one go. So the same money would still be used up.

I was thinking that another club might take over his contract for the last six months, and then maybe leave the door open for a further year extension. I can't see them getting another year at the Albion. I'm sure the experience they have between them would be a useful asset to some other clubs.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

The player could insist on that but there's nothing to stop a settlement being reached of say 3 or 4 months wages in one hit to cancel the contract, The club saves a few months wages and the player is free to set himself up elsewhere. Everybody wins.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Also, from Mayo's point of view, it would be a lot better to move on now. In the summer, he won't have played for a year. Clubs will look at that stat, and be wary of the fact he couldn't even make our bench for an entire season. If he goes now, then he can at least point to being a regular up until a few months ago, who is currently out of favour. If he went now, he might just get a league club take him. In the summer, I think it'll be conference.

But then potentially come the summer there could be 2 more Sussex teams in the Conference.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The player could insist on that but there's nothing to stop a settlement being reached of say 3 or 4 months wages in one hit to cancel the contract, The club saves a few months wages and the player is free to set himself up elsewhere. Everybody wins.

Well, it's possible, but I don't think the club could insist on it.

It depends on whether Wilkins sees any future whatsoever in Mayo's tenure here. At present, from the outside looking in, Mayo's future here looks bleaker than a bleak thing on the bleakest night in Bleaksville.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Yep, certainly looking like they'll be at least one. But, if you were Kerry Mayo, would you really be that keen about playing for one of them? He might, just might, get a deal to prove himself somewhere in the league if he goes now, don't you think?

But then the money in the Conference is not that mch different from League 2 and it could mean no relocation for him.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Yep, certainly looking like they'll be at least one. But, if you were Kerry Mayo, would you really be that keen about playing for one of them? He might, just might, get a deal to prove himself somewhere in the league if he goes now, don't you think?

Someone like Aldershot may want him?

The problem is clubs that may want him are going to be in league two, sadly most of those clubs are from the North - will he want to uproot for Sussex?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Well, it's possible, but I don't think the club could insist on it.

It could only be done with the agreement of both player and club but you often read of contracts being cancelled by mutual consent, so obviously a settlement has been reached thats suitable to both the player and the club.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
I always thought Mayo might have adapted to a central defender. With Butters getting no younger, it would be good to have a bit of experience at the back. Mayo has played pretty well there when he has had to fill in that position from time to time during matches.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here