Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poor MLS Cousins Toronto FC

mchaney

mick.seagulls
Jul 26, 2004
Kitchener (Canada)
OH CANADA....

So I'm a Brighton fan have been since around 1970 when my grandfather took me to my first game.....I listen to all Albion games (when they get their act together and actually press the switch)

I miss going to games until last year......This was the Year Toronto FC were created. I tried to get a season ticket last year however was too late all the 14000 season tickets sold out too quickly, this year they made it 16000 (our stadium holds 22000) and they sold the additional ones to people on a long waiting list.

Well this weekend is our first game of the season against Columbus, I will be embarking on the trip to Columbus with approximately 2500 other Toronto fans at 4 am tomorrow morning for the 8 hour drive on 30 coaches (as well as cars and vans) for a wicked convoy to another country to watch the game. We will have a two hour tailgate party and then out cheer the home supporters before a hopeful win and a long 8 hour drive home.

Toronto fans are nearly all immigrants that miss there football and I have to say the mixture of Europeans, British and South Americans cheering for one team is a sight to be seen.

If your ever in Toronto and a game is on try to get a ticket (if you can) it is an experience not to miss.

I will be booking my flight to the first Falmer game where Brighton Supporters can truly show what fantastic supporters they are, I will never forget my time standing in the North Stand, I feel sorry for all the young supporters that have not experienced the true "Dolphin" or "Seagull" experience

Show us proud on your long road trip to Leeds as I really believe Brighton also has one of the best away supporters as TFC do over here.

GO Seagulls GO...:albion2:....GO TFC GO

P.S. we don't all kill seals over here some of us dont even agree with it

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
I'm in the same boat as you trying to get tickets for Toronto's games. Bloody nigh on impossible.

Perhaps we should try and have a Canadian Seagulls supporters get together in Toronto and see how many we get.?

Good idea but might I suggest Muskoka in the summer to make it easier for Porky? We could cruise the lakes and then invade the Kee in Bala.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Toronto are now my MLS team. I don't suppose you know when they are playing in Vancouver? My ship will be there every Sunday from the end of April.

Juan Albion

Toronto are now my MLS team. I don't suppose you know when they are playing in Vancouver? My ship will be there every Sunday from the end of April.

Vancouver don't have an MLS team so they aren't playing there at all in the League but they do have a home and away series in the CONCACAF Champions League qualifying. Sadly not a Sunday, though. They play in BC on Wednesday 9th of July and Toronto on July 1st - Canada Day.

Juan Albion

Which brings me to my tip for my Seagulls mates in Toronto.

Tickets will indeed be very difficult to get this season but that home game against Vancouver on July 1st might be a distinct possibility. Looking at the website, the tickets for that game are not included in the season tickets.

However, the season ticket holders will get first dibs on them, followed by an exclusive presale for those on the season ticket waiting list. Therefore if you put your name down on that list now, you will be offered tickets for that game, even if you don't plan to ultimately buy a season ticket. So do it. Should be a good game judging by Vancouver's unbeaten start to the season - 2 wins and a draw, all away from home.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
will be watching the game tomorrow as well, but more important for Brighton to beat Leeds! Will actually be at Crew Stadium in May for a weekend rock festival!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
saw 5 games last season during my stint in toronto - thought it was bloody brilliant

the atmosphere was superb, especially during the 4-0 win over fc dallas. but even when they were losing, and struggling to score, which was more often than not

bright sunshine, football, non stop singing, standing in seating areas, the opportunity to buy sushi inside the stadium. what more could you ask for? oh yeah, and beer on the terraces - and literally one end of the ground being a beer garden. puts lewes to SHAME

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Aren't the Vancouver Whitecaps going for MLS-ness?

believe they need to build a new stadium first, although they are one of the cities that they were talking about expanding into

think its likely montreal will go in first, as i believe they are building a new soccer specific stadium and apparently that gillette bloke from liverpool is interested in getting onboard

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
After reading this thread, at least I know the real reason for our fan base at Withdean, dropping.............they,ve all gone to Canada...!

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
After reading this thread, at least I know the real reason for our fan base at Withdean, dropping.............they,ve all gone to Canada...!

All together now...

#Blame canada, blame canada...

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I think it was footy programme Goalissimo that did a feature on the MLS a few months ago and they were raving about Toronto's fans and how 'European' the atmosphere at home games was. My MLS experience was of living in Washington and watching DC United, whose home, RFK Stadium is right in the heart of the hispanic district in the south of the city so the atmosphere had a very latino flavour.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Someone put a link on here a while back to some YouTube vids of Toronto fans singing, it sounded amazing, so much for the Canuks being reserved.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
I enjoyed my visit to Toronto FC last year, and wrote a piece for the Albion programme, on the theme of how a fanbase can go from zero to 20,000 in just a few months, once you've got yourself a wonderful new stadium. Okay, plus a catchment area with plenty of of people who like footie - and a decent marketing department too.

TFC are certainly a fantastic club, well run and with some great people. The visit persuaded me the Albion can fill Falmer if, instead of worrying about growing outwards from the Withdean faithful, we also focus on drawing from the wider population of footie enthusiasts - many temporarily resident, or just tourists - among the 300k plus in the immediate conurbation.

Memory Lane footnote: Did an interview there with Craig Forrest, Canada goalkeeping legend and now TV pundit, who recalled playing at the Goldstone for Ipswich - and getting carried off after 3 minutes!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Canadians reserved? Not all the time I lived there.

They were where I lived, but it wasn't a big city, however they were amazingly friendly once they got to know you...wonderful country, fantastic people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here