Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

poor attendances ! will this be falmer in years to come ?

north stander

Banned
Nov 5, 2003
the outer limits
poor attendances now. so what come falmer.you don't have to be blind to work out why for the low crowds.having a poor team and no money to spend may have something to do with it.if this starts to happen at falmer.the club could be in big trouble.the attendances start to drop as does the revenue.with such big cost in having to get falmer up and running.the club cannot afford to make any mistakes on taking the huge gamble on falmer.and as we all no mr knight does not like to gamble...........

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
23,000 is a big jump from 6,000 but you would think the new ground would be full to start with,but numbers will fade as time goes on,as long as the ground is half full it should pay for itself(12'000 or so)promotion back to division 1 in the key because of the large away fan surport 5000 from palace alone

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Hopefully pricing at Falmer will be geared towards getting more bums on seats. The club has budgeted to break even on gates of 12,000, although the last time we averaged crowds of that size was in 1984/5

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
brighton rock said:
because of the large away fan surport 5000 from palace alone

Don't think so-there isn't enough room allocated to park and ride sites to accommodate all those caravans...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
El Presidente said:
Hopefully pricing at Falmer will be geared towards getting more bums on seats. The club has budgeted to break even on gates of 12,000, although the last time we averaged crowds of that size was in 1984/5

That is the one aspect of Falmer that concerns me - do we have the right marketing people at the club to know how to put bums on seats when there are loads available ?

At Withdean it isn't so hard to achieve but at Falmer..........

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its no surprise that gates are falling at Withdean. I think people are justifiably fed up with paying top dollar to sit in the worst ground in the entire League. The team hasn't been pulling up any tree's lately either, so losing 500-600 fans per game is entirely predictable (in fact, following relegation, its hardly much of a "plunge" in attendences anyway, all things considered).

Falmer is a completely different kettle of fish. While the prices will be pretty much the same, the surroundings and facilities will be absolutely awe-inspiring. Yes, the team will still have to do the business on the pitch, but even after the initial "novelty" wears off, I think we can get 10,000 - 12,000 there regularly, which is a decent base to start off from if we are still a D2 club, which I think we will be.

Just remember the film Field of Dreams: "If you build it, they will come...."

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Beach Hut said:
That is the one aspect of Falmer that concerns me - do we have the right marketing people at the club to know how to put bums on seats when there are loads available ?

At Withdean it isn't so hard to achieve but at Falmer..........

Winning team playing good football = bums on seats

Poor side playing mediocre football = empty seats

Doesn't matter whether it is at Withdean, Falmer or Old Trafford it all depends on the product. Look at Sunderland with a lovely state of the art ground but since they were relegated it's been half empty every match.
So really it doesn't matter how much marketing you do if you serve up a shite product you won't get paying customers thru the door.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Ernest said:

Doesn't matter whether it is at Withdean, Falmer or Old Trafford it all depends on the product. Look at Sunderland with a lovely state of the art ground but since they were relegated it's been half empty every match.
So really it doesn't matter how much marketing you do if you serve up a shite product you won't get paying customers thru the door.

Agreed but when first built (which will be your worst day) there needs to be a good marketing effort to entice people back in the fold.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Excellent so you are now looking forward to Falmer

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ernest said:

So your theory is that only teams who are playing fabulous football should move to bigger and better stadiums, otherwise there's no point ? I take it the Albion will have to start stroking it around like Brazil 1970 before we can justifiably move to a new stadium then ?

It should be quite simple, but as you're not quite getting it, I'll spell it out, shall I ?

Bigger stadium & better facilities = more fans
More fans = more revenue
More revenue = more money for players
more money for players = better team
Better team = better standard of football
Better standard of football = promotion
Promotion = more fans....

....and so on.

CAFC Matt

Jul 27, 2003
Woodindean
As said 23,000 is a big jump. However the attendances should be more as you will be in abeeter staduim and it wou;d be more attractive to families etc to increase the numbers.

Will the tickets be cheaper because if they are and I have a free Saturday (ie CAFC ain't playing I would go) as it will be only down the road from me :)

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Easy 10 said:
So your theory is that only teams who are playing fabulous football should move to bigger and better stadiums, otherwise there's no point ? I take it the Albion will have to start stroking it around like Brazil 1970 before we can justifiably move to a new stadium then ?

It should be quite simple, but as you're not quite getting it, I'll spell it out, shall I ?

More fans = more revenue

....and so on.

What about Sunderland , Derby etc ? Your theory doesn't work out does it ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Easy 10 said:
More fans = more revenue

....and so on.

Ernest this is called a win-win situation something you may be unfamiliar with ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
"If we build it they will come"

I believe it really is that simple.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It is not just the ground also over spending but under achieving.

Something a few people encourage but fortunately our chairman doesn't do.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ernest said:
So what about Sunderland and Derby then ? Their new grounds have only brought them grief after an initial 'honeymoon period'.
You keep on banging on and on about those two teams. Listen, its not the STADIUMS that have put those clubs in trouble. Its the mis-management of the clubs finances in relation to tranfer fee's and ludicrous salaries they were paying to players when they were in the Premiership. Once they fell off the gravy train and got relegated, thats when it all started coming home to roost.

Do you think they'd be pulling in as many fans as they are now if they were still playing at ramshackle, outdated old football grounds ? Their crowds would be even lower if the facilities were shite as well as the team.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If a football club is managed prudently and sensibly, a new stadium provides a massive boost to the club as a whole.

Hull City look like they're finally going to get out of the basement now they are playing in that magnificent new stadium, and they've had a few 20,000+ crowds in DIVISION THREE, which is almost unheard of. Think they'd achieve that at that ramshackle old shed called Boothferry Park ?

Reading are now an established Division One side with a realistic chance of at least making the playoffs for the Premiership in the near future. Think they'd have achieved that at Elm Park ? I doubt it very much, just ask Royal Ali.

Plymouth Argyle are on the crest of a wave now after years in the doldrums, following the magnificent redevelopment of Home Park. They've got a place in Division One already sewn up.

New stadiums obviously arn't the ONLY reason for those clubs enjoying some success now, but its definately a catalyst for moving on to bigger and better things. If the club has a poor infrastructure, as we do now, then success in this day and age can never be achieved or sustained. This club is dead in the water without Falmer, no two ways about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here