Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I for one do not enjoy the misery of others.

nor me
there but for the grace of god we might have been in fact we WERE and no one was laughing then better they stay in league so we can have the pleasure of their company and maybe 3 points

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I don't want any club to vanish or disappear from existence. Luckily it won't happen in Portsmouth's case, they'll form Pompey City or something in the lower leagues so their fans will have someone to support. Then I reckon they'll shoot back up to the Conference or similar.
Although, I think it would be hugely beneficial for modern football for a club like Pompey to be liquidated. It'll give out the message that if you spend ridiculous amounts of money in an unsustainable gamble for success, there must be consequences. In Portsmouth FC's case, the consequences are fatal.

Introducing wage caps for each tier could be a good thing, say £100,000 a week for Premier League, £20,000 for the Championship, £4000 for League 1 and £2000 for League 2? (Obviously those figures are just arbitrary and nothing to go by, I don't really have a clue about what wages we offer our players for example.)
But then again, this might cause lots of the exotic foreign talent such as Eden Hazard to look elsewhere in the search for a bigger wage packet. Would that be a bad thing? How important is the Premier League's current - and probably fictitious - status as being the 'best league in the world'?

Good points.

Unfortunately wage caps dont work.

Portsmouth cannot currently offer a contract to anyone of course but they are supposedly introducing a strict £6k a week maximum wage for next season (in League 1 FFS!).
They currently have a number of triallists with them - some may indeed play against us tomorrow night. A number of those triallists have been attracted by the prospect of getting a deal at League 1 level but there are some who have been specifically targetted and have already been (unofficially) offered a deal at around £5k PLUS add-ons including additional pension benefits, image rights, appearance bonuses, goals bonuses, points bonuses, promotion bonuses.................................... in one case (and I have reason to suspect more than one) I understand that the recipient is guaranteed a package in the order of £7K to £8K a week as a minimum even though the theoretical wage cap will be adhered to.

Average player earnings for other clubs in League 1 are, I understand less than £2K a week

Portsmouth Football Club.................guaranteed never to learn from experience :nono:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Perhaps to allow flexibility a wage cap average would work better - so for Premier, your first 18 players (first team squad) must keep to an average salary of 75k a week, and perhaps have a lower average for the 2nd string players.

Alternatively, I think the new regulations which come in soon are based upon percentages of income, which might be fairer, as teams with bigger income should be able to spend more.
I quite like the way they do it in MLS. You have a maximum salary cap or average salary cap or whatever, which all clubs must adhere to. However, each team is allowed a total of 2 or 3 players that can be completely excluded from this. So if Man City want to bring in Eden Hazard or Lionel Messi or whoever, they can do so by paying top dollar. However, they can't fill their squads with such players, which renders the league uncompetitive, leaves massive financial problems for clubs when their benefactors leave, and reduces opportunities for EC nationals.

nor me
there but for the grace of god we might have been in fact we WERE and no one was laughing then better they stay in league so we can have the pleasure of their company and maybe 3 points

They aint in our League, and probably won't be again.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I quite like the way they do it in MLS. You have a maximum salary cap or average salary cap or whatever, which all clubs must adhere to. However, each team is allowed a total of 2 or 3 players that can be completely excluded from this. So if Man City want to bring in Eden Hazard or Lionel Messi or whoever, they can do so by paying top dollar. However, they can't fill their squads with such players, which renders the league uncompetitive, leaves massive financial problems for clubs when their benefactors leave, and reduces opportunities for EC nationals.

In Major League Baseball, there's a team salary cap and any club that breaks it has to pay a "luxury tax" to all the other teams. So if the Yankees want to break the bank to get an expensive free agent (and they usually do), then the Pirates, Athletics, Mariners etc all get compensation. In fact the Marlins got so used to picking up luxury tax dollars that one year when the Yankees didn't overspend, they ended up with a deficit in their budget.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
In Major League Baseball, there's a team salary cap and any club that breaks it has to pay a "luxury tax" to all the other teams. So if the Yankees want to break the bank to get an expensive free agent (and they usually do), then the Pirates, Athletics, Mariners etc all get compensation. In fact the Marlins got so used to picking up luxury tax dollars that one year when the Yankees didn't overspend, they ended up with a deficit in their budget.
Indeed. Mind you, some Marlins games give you an idea of what an Orient game will look like if they ever move to the Olympic stadium:

florida-marlins-empty-stadium.jpg

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Wrong Simster ! It will be raining and there are too many people in that pic already !

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Th only way the fans will get their club back at this point is to fold and reform as otherwise they are always going to be in a financial mess and owing money. Not sure where that leaves the ground though assume it'll be sold off to cover debts.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
They should be banned from paying transfer/signing on fees and a strict wage cap set by the FL for 2-3 seasons otherwise they will end up in the same boat again

They should be banned from paying transfer/signing on fees and a strict wage cap set by the FL for 2-3 seasons otherwise they will end up in the same boat again

It's for their own good, they'll thank us for it later. Possibly.:D

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Th only way the fans will get their club back at this point is to fold and reform as otherwise they are always going to be in a financial mess and owing money. Not sure where that leaves the ground though assume it'll be sold off to cover debts.

Speaking to a few Pompey fans when they were here last week to play Gib I got the impression that they'd done f**k all to try and save the club and were resigned to the fact that the best thing would be for the club to fold and re-form. Peter Storey seemed to be their bogey man but even this was pretty half-hearted and they seemed strangely lethargic and resigned to their fate. Bizarre really given that they pride themselves on their passionate support for their club.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Portsmouth are way down my list of good clubs but their fans don't deserve this.

They will not die-their strong fan base will ensure this; they will simply restart at the appropriate level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here