Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey

'AFC Pompey' - oh well, another club to follow us. And to think we (Bmth) did this in 1972. Talk about trendsetting :cool:

..We are supposed to be playing them on Aug 18th, hope the game goes ahead. Can't think of anything worse than your first game of the season, away, being called off :tantrum:

Hope they pull through ok, most teams have been through similar things..

Not three f***ing times they haven't.

I can almost forgive Palace even for their second administration, all down to one man going bust almost overnight, almost forgive that is, not actually forgive, wankers.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There are probably 30-40,000 people who consider themselves Albion fans of some degree. How many of us would you say are responsible for what you say here? I'd say about FIFTEEN, absolute tops. If those people hadn't uncovered the changes in articles of association and that sort of thing, we'd never have had the protests until it was too late.

That said, Portsmouth have a similar fanbase to us I imagine, and I'm having trouble thinking that not a single one of them looked into the situation before it was too late. I also find it hard to believe that even now their fans are so powerless as to let Chanerai back into the club to drain the last few millions of assets when the next parachute payment is paid.

My point with that example was as an answer to the attitude "What can we do, we're only fans". Fans hold way more power than some suggest with this attitude.

I know it was only a handful of people that did the investigating, but once they made their findings public it was hundreds and thousands that took action. The pitch invasions, the marches, the visits to Archer's homes, the campaigns. My point was that once we found out what was going on our fanbase took notable action to exert our power and show just what "only fans" can do.

Portsmouth have had various stages where the fans can have changed their attitudes, did what they had to to prevent a third administration. This hasn't suddenly sneaked up on them.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
I don't want to see any club die, let alone Portsmouth FC. But the fans have given hope and a few of them, wouldn't mind if they did go in to Liquidation. Because there is plans for them to reform as a new club and hopefully do a AFC Wimbledon and start in Non-League and make it back that way.

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
Its these bloody clubs that build new stadiums and then expect the taxpayers to pick up the bill that get up my nose.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My point with that example was as an answer to the attitude "What can we do, we're only fans". Fans hold way more power than some suggest with this attitude.

I know it was only a handful of people that did the investigating, but once they made their findings public it was hundreds and thousands that took action. The pitch invasions, the marches, the visits to Archer's homes, the campaigns. My point was that once we found out what was going on our fanbase took notable action to exert our power and show just what "only fans" can do.

Portsmouth have had various stages where the fans can have changed their attitudes, did what they had to to prevent a third administration. This hasn't suddenly sneaked up on them.
So apart from investigating the problems in the first place, what exactly would you have had them do once it became known they were going into admin the first time? And what about after the second time? What would you have done? They're not up against Bill Archer with an address in Blackburn. And the bloke waiting in the wings about to screw them up the arse doesn't attend home games in the directors box either.

(I'm only playing devil's advocate, this isn't a witch hunt)

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
Their problem is that Chainrai is a rich businessman and none of them are. Chainrai has made an offer acceptable to the creditors and unless the trust makes a batter one, the administrator has to take it.

Unlike us, Portsmouth haven't had any of the following:

a strong investigative news reporter on the local paper to compare with Paul Bracchi, who uncovered the plans to sell the Goldstone.

a fan with the forensic accountancy skills of a Paul Samrah to make sense of the financial goings-on.

a fan like John Baine willing to lead marches up and down the country and having the front and chutzpah to pull it off - they just had that twat with the bell.

a former manager such as Liam Brady who gave enough of a f*** about a club who sacked him to get a consortium together.

a Dick Knight to take on the bad guys.

a Martin Perry with the know-how to get football grounds built.

a rich fan such as Tony Bloom to make The Amex happen.

And a few thousand who marched, signed petitions, delivered letters, went to watch home games 70 mles away.

The only papers doing any digging into the financial goings-on at Fratton were the nationals, and all we got were "Why are you telling all these lies, the owners love the club, you're all Londoners who don't like the idea of a small club gatecrashing the Premier League elite." (We weren't, they didn't, we weren't)

So we were fortunate to have the right people among our fanbase, and there were more than 15 who contributed. But it's also true that 99% of their fans stuck their heads firmly in the sand and hoped that the big-money signings would continue. And who knows - if the Israeli money-launderer hadn't had his assets frozen by a court case, maybe they would have ...

Excellent, balanced post.

IMO this is the case, in a nutshell. Strangely, I feel more sorry for the casual Pompey fans, who could never have understood what was happening; the die-hard ones are the ones who seem to have been in perpetual denial.

As ever my biggest sympathies are with the countless 3rd parties - companies, individuals, and organisations - that are left substantially out of pocket by all of this.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Their problem is that Chainrai is a rich businessman and none of them are. Chainrai has made an offer acceptable to the creditors and unless the trust makes a batter one, the administrator has to take it.

a strong investigative news reporter on the local paper to compare with Paul Bracchi, who uncovered the plans to sell the Goldstone.

a fan with the forensic accountancy skills of a Paul Samrah to make sense of the financial goings-on.

a fan like John Baine willing to lead marches up and down the country and having the front and chutzpah to pull it off - they just had that twat with the bell.

a former manager such as Liam Brady who gave enough of a f*** about a club who sacked him to get a consortium together.

And a few thousand who marched, signed petitions, delivered letters, went to watch home games 70 mles away.

The only papers doing any digging into the financial goings-on at Fratton were the nationals, and all we got were "Why are you telling all these lies, the owners love the club, you're all Londoners who don't like the idea of a small club gatecrashing the Premier League elite." (We weren't, they didn't, we weren't)

So we were fortunate to have the right people among our fanbase, and there were more than 15 who contributed. But it's also true that 99% of their fans stuck their heads firmly in the sand and hoped that the big-money signings would continue. And who knows - if the Israeli money-launderer hadn't had his assets frozen by a court case, maybe they would have ...

Succinctly put.

Couldn't help but read that last sentence and think Cardiff and Birmingham and how many more ......................................

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

And don't forget we also had a fanzine (which I seem to recall you wrote for as NaN) which didn't mind saying it as it was, and risked legal action on a number of occassions during 'the battle'. Without the internet (well, I know NSC existed, but not many had access) it was a great way to get people on side with the plans, and involved.

With the internet today, Pompey fans should have been able to mobilise fans far more easily, with the use of twitter, forums and other social media.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So apart from investigating the problems in the first place, what exactly would you have had them do once it became known they were going into admin the first time? And what about after the second time? What would you have done? They're not up against Bill Archer with an address in Blackburn. And the bloke waiting in the wings about to screw them up the arse doesn't attend home games in the directors box either.

(I'm only playing devil's advocate, this isn't a witch hunt)

I'm more of a follower with this sort of thing, but my attitude would certainly change. I would have learned from the administrations that for the long term health of my club I shouldn't be putting pressure on the club to bring in players they can't afford, and when my club dropped down a division I wouldn't act like I deserve to be in the higher division and am being screwed over.

If I was more active I would like to think I would have taken efforts to get supporters together* to educate them to the harsh realities of the situation to stop this attitude of premier league entitlement, and spend to stay there. Once the fans were understanding, I would like to get them to write letters to everyone (the administrator faced with thousands of letters demanding fiscal responsibility even at the expense of relegation would get the message - don't break the wage cap for journeymen), to get supporters voices heard by the administrators, the FA, any incoming owner, and that that voice was one that spoke with the main concern being the long term future of the club over short term success.

Marches and protests to get the FA to take the fit and proper test seriously, and to help get a fan representative on the board.

Maybe even get donations, bake sales, etc. other fundraising activities to help the staff and contribute to the charities and small businesses that are being punished by the administrations.

Edit* wouldn't even have to get them together, with message boards, twitter, phone ins, etc. I wouldn't have to get them together, but the goal would be the same, educate my fellow fans.

Last edited:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
And don't forget we also had a fanzine (which I seem to recall you wrote for as NaN) which didn't mind saying it as it was, and risked legal action on a number of occassions during 'the battle'. Without the internet (well, I know NSC existed, but not many had access) it was a great way to get people on side with the plans, and involved.

With the internet today, Pompey fans should have been able to mobilise fans far more easily, with the use of twitter, forums and other social media.

Indeed - how could I have omitted that august organ? And others ...

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm more of a follower with this sort of thing, but my attitude would certainly change. I would have learned from the administrations that for the long term health of my club I shouldn't be putting pressure on the club to bring in players they can't afford, and when my club dropped down a division I wouldn't act like I deserve to be in the higher division and am being screwed over.

If I was more active I would like to think I would have taken efforts to get supporters together to educate them to the harsh realities of the situation to stop this attitude of premier league entitlement, and spend to stay there. Once the fans were understanding, I would like to get them to write letters to everyone (the administrator faced wit thousands of letters demanding fiscal responsibility even at the expense of relegation would get the message - don't break the wage cap for journeymen) supporters voices heard, by the administrators, the FA, any incoming owner, and that that voice was one that spoke with the main concern being the long term future of the club over short term success.

Marches and protests to get the FA to take the fit and proper test seriously, and to help get a fan representative on the board.

Maybe even get donations, bake sales, etc. other fundraising activities to help the staff and contribute to the charities and small businesses that are being punished by the administrations.

Exactly - Just off the top of my head I could imagine (in the same situation) Albion fans mounting a 'Not Fit' campaign, with marches, banners, leaflets etc. High profile - get the press interested.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I don't want any club to vanish or disappear from existence. Luckily it won't happen in Portsmouth's case, they'll form Pompey City or something in the lower leagues so their fans will have someone to support. Then I reckon they'll shoot back up to the Conference or similar.
Although, I think it would be hugely beneficial for modern football for a club like Pompey to be liquidated. It'll give out the message that if you spend ridiculous amounts of money in an unsustainable gamble for success, there must be consequences. In Portsmouth FC's case, the consequences are fatal.

Introducing wage caps for each tier could be a good thing, say £100,000 a week for Premier League, £20,000 for the Championship, £4000 for League 1 and £2000 for League 2? (Obviously those figures are just arbitrary and nothing to go by, I don't really have a clue about what wages we offer our players for example.)
But then again, this might cause lots of the exotic foreign talent such as Eden Hazard to look elsewhere in the search for a bigger wage packet. Would that be a bad thing? How important is the Premier League's current - and probably fictitious - status as being the 'best league in the world'?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Portsmouth are way down my list of good clubs but their fans don't deserve this, surely?

But we NEVER deserve the misery our clubs put us through, but that's just tough, that's the life of a supporter.

What did we do to DESERVE relegation when the players have been shit, or the owners haven't put in enough money to give us the players to keep us up. Was it OUR fault that the club took forever to replace Peter Taylor, and when they did, they chose Hinsh over Coppell? No, it wasn't our fault, and yet we had to endure football of a lower standard the following season. But .... so what?

Being a football supporter is not about getting what you do or don't deserve.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I don't want any club to vanish or disappear from existence. Luckily it won't happen in Portsmouth's case, they'll form Pompey City or something in the lower leagues so their fans will have someone to support. Then I reckon they'll shoot back up to the Conference or similar.
Although, I think it would be hugely beneficial for modern football for a club like Pompey to be liquidated. It'll give out the message that if you spend ridiculous amounts of money in an unsustainable gamble for success, there must be consequences. In Portsmouth FC's case, the consequences are fatal.

Introducing wage caps for each tier could be a good thing, say £100,000 a week for Premier League, £20,000 for the Championship, £4000 for League 1 and £2000 for League 2? (Obviously those figures are just arbitrary and nothing to go by, I don't really have a clue about what wages we offer our players for example.)
But then again, this might cause lots of the exotic foreign talent such as Eden Hazard to look elsewhere in the search for a bigger wage packet. Would that be a bad thing? How important is the Premier League's current - and probably fictitious - status as being the 'best league in the world'?

Perhaps to allow flexibility a wage cap average would work better - so for Premier, your first 18 players (first team squad) must keep to an average salary of 75k a week, and perhaps have a lower average for the 2nd string players.

Alternatively, I think the new regulations which come in soon are based upon percentages of income, which might be fairer, as teams with bigger income should be able to spend more.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Perhaps to allow flexibility a wage cap average would work better - so for Premier, your first 18 players (first team squad) must keep to an average salary of 75k a week, and perhaps have a lower average for the 2nd string players.

Alternatively, I think the new regulations which come in soon are based upon percentages of income, which might be fairer, as teams with bigger income should be able to spend more.

Good point, but then wouldn't clubs put ticket prices up to try and offer the best wages? Ticket price cap for Leagues? £50 Prem, £30 Championship, £15 League 1, £10 League 2. Simples.
At least a sizeable stadium would be a major attraction to players. Imagine if we still had dear old Withers? :lolol:

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
But we NEVER deserve the misery our clubs put us through, but that's just tough, that's the life of a supporter.

What did we do to DESERVE relegation when the players have been shit, or the owners haven't put in enough money to give us the players to keep us up. Was it OUR fault that the club took forever to replace Peter Taylor, and when they did, they chose Hinsh over Coppell? No, it wasn't our fault, and yet we had to endure football of a lower standard the following season. But .... so what?

Being a football supporter is not about getting what you do or don't deserve.

Not quite sure I get your point.... Getting relegated or having a poor manager/team is slightly different to going bust, no?

General football supporters DESERVE to have the opportunity to continue having a club to support, surely?

My opinion on this is that the supporters have done nothing wrong and hopefully this mess will be resolved for them to either continue under proper owners or regroup and return as an AFC!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here