Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Can a Mod merge this with the existing Pompey about to go our of business thread?

Yes, you're right.... If you have success you should worry about the consequences... Never going to happen is it?

Pompey supporters assumed that they're money men were genuinely interested in making the club a top club in the country I suppose.

Should all clubs question how long it will be before their backers will pull out?

Maybe the likes of Chelsea and Man Citeh should start asking serious questions then eh?

Maybe they should, all I know is having seen our club nearly die I would always worry that we are not putting ourselves in the same position again.

And for what it's worth, I'm already worrying.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Lol. At least this might resolve the 'playing in southern Spain at 6pm in 40C heat' problem later in the week; as long as they are liquidated before then.

Rumour that some of their triallists are moving on to new clubs so won't be staying to play the mighty stripes. Chance the game may be off apparently

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
So... could Portsmouth's last ever game be getting hammered by us?

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I feel for John Keeley because he's a decent bloke & I don't like to see any football club go under, but by heck they've brought it upon themselves.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Surely you have GOT to have sympathy for the fans? It isn't their fault.

Have to meet them to have sympathy, then I go through the following

Question: "How many times have you won the FA cup?"

Answer = 2: Reply "No, the second one doesnt count. GFY"

Answer = 1: Then Question "When?"

Answer = 1939 or 'a long time ago' "You sir are a true fan aware of the history of your club and accepting that your more recent successes were cheating. You have my deepest sympathies and if there is ever anything I can do to help you with the formation and funding of AFC Portsmouth please let me know"

Answer = "2008" or "A few years back" or "dead recent" -- "I am genuinely confused as to whether I wish you or your club to die first. I am also somewhat puzzled that you have not started supporting another club for you have no soul. Please start running in case I decide the best thing to do for humanity's sake is to beat you to death with a bell."

Have to meet them to have sympathy, then I go through the following

Question: "How many times have you won the FA cup?"

Answer = 2: Reply "No, the second one doesnt count. GFY"

Answer = 1: Then Question "When?"

Answer = 1939 or 'a long time ago' "You sir are a true fan aware of the history of your club and accepting that your more recent successes were cheating. You have my deepest sympathies and if there is ever anything I can do to help you with the formation and funding of AFC Portsmouth please let me know"

Answer = "2008" or "A few years back" or "dead recent" -- "I am genuinely confused as to whether I wish you or your club to die first. I am also somewhat puzzled that you have not started supporting another club for you have no soul. Please start running in case I decide the best thing to do for humanity's sake is to beat you to death with a bell."

Perfect.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Feel sorry for the decent, hard-working staff of the club and the businesses of the local area who have been screwed over by Pompey and who have either had to work for nothing whilst their players continue to recieve megabucks or for all the lost revenue.

I couldnt give a rats arse about the fans, players or owners. The only way now is AFC Pompey, there we will see who the true fans of the club are and if they set it up - then good luck to them.

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
What have the fans done in response to these administrations and bad owners, what have they done to try to save their club? Genuine question. I mean, I don't recall reading abut them putting any pressure on owners, no attempts to encourage a consortium to bid for the club, no protests, and it doesn't seem like they've ever readjusted their expectations, leading to a real or perceived pressure on the owners to invest more and more to keep the fans happy.

They do have a supporters trust who've bid to buy the club. As for the mess they're in, some things are beyond fans ability to do much about - like having your ground sold and having to ground share 75 miles away in Gillingham. What happened at Pompey could happen anywhere, just ask Rangers fans. I suppose you think they didn't do enough either?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
They do have a supporters trust who've bid to buy the club. As for the mess they're in, some things are beyond fans ability to do much about - like having your ground sold and having to ground share 75 miles away in Gillingham. What happened at Pompey could happen anywhere, just ask Rangers fans. I suppose you think they didn't do enough either?

Yeah, some things are out of our control, but our responses to them are completely in our control

We discovered our board were up to no good, and made it impossible for them to continue. Some of our richer supporters got together with friends to form a consortium. We cost the club points with pitch invasions because it was more important that we get Archer and Belotti out than stay in the third division. We fought and scrapped every inch of the way to achieve what was meant to be beyond our ability to do much about. We made sure the whole country knew we were fighting, putting pressure on Belotti and Archer all over the country, and we forced a change of ownership.

Pompey fans have not made it known what they are doing, so it appears as if they aren't doing anything.

I will have sympathy for the fans who take action, like the plymouth fans who were trying to raise awareness for their cause during the last season, and who did so with a degree of realism about their situation and their current station in football. They haven't sat back and watched their club fall while viewing themselves as a championship club screwed over by the FA, demanding sympathy. They know they don't have the finances to be back where the club was at its height, and they adjusted their expectation and the board are not under pressure to meet unreasonably high expectations.

If I knew that the pompey fans were actually fighting for their club I would have a bit more sympathy for them.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We discovered our board were up to no good, and made it impossible for them to continue.
There are probably 30-40,000 people who consider themselves Albion fans of some degree. How many of us would you say are responsible for what you say here? I'd say about FIFTEEN, absolute tops. If those people hadn't uncovered the changes in articles of association and that sort of thing, we'd never have had the protests until it was too late.

That said, Portsmouth have a similar fanbase to us I imagine, and I'm having trouble thinking that not a single one of them looked into the situation before it was too late. I also find it hard to believe that even now their fans are so powerless as to let Chanerai back into the club to drain the last few millions of assets when the next parachute payment is paid.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
'AFC Pompey' - oh well, another club to follow us. And to think we (Bmth) did this in 1972. Talk about trendsetting :cool:

..We are supposed to be playing them on Aug 18th, hope the game goes ahead. Can't think of anything worse than your first game of the season, away, being called off :tantrum:

Hope they pull through ok, most teams have been through similar things..

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
There are probably 30-40,000 people who consider themselves Albion fans of some degree. How many of us would you say are responsible for what you say here? I'd say about FIFTEEN, absolute tops. If those people hadn't uncovered the changes in articles of association and that sort of thing, we'd never have had the protests until it was too late.

That said, Portsmouth have a similar fanbase to us I imagine, and I'm having trouble thinking that not a single one of them looked into the situation before it was too late. I also find it hard to believe that even now their fans are so powerless as to let Chanerai back into the club to drain the last few millions of assets when the next parachute payment is paid.

Their problem is that Chainrai is a rich businessman and none of them are. Chainrai has made an offer acceptable to the creditors and unless the trust makes a batter one, the administrator has to take it.

Unlike us, Portsmouth haven't had any of the following:

a strong investigative news reporter on the local paper to compare with Paul Bracchi, who uncovered the plans to sell the Goldstone.

a fan with the forensic accountancy skills of a Paul Samrah to make sense of the financial goings-on.

a fan like John Baine willing to lead marches up and down the country and having the front and chutzpah to pull it off - they just had that twat with the bell.

a former manager such as Liam Brady who gave enough of a f*** about a club who sacked him to get a consortium together.

a Dick Knight to take on the bad guys.

a Martin Perry with the know-how to get football grounds built.

a rich fan such as Tony Bloom to make The Amex happen.

And a few thousand who marched, signed petitions, delivered letters, went to watch home games 70 mles away.

The only papers doing any digging into the financial goings-on at Fratton were the nationals, and all we got were "Why are you telling all these lies, the owners love the club, you're all Londoners who don't like the idea of a small club gatecrashing the Premier League elite." (We weren't, they didn't, we weren't)

So we were fortunate to have the right people among our fanbase, and there were more than 15 who contributed. But it's also true that 99% of their fans stuck their heads firmly in the sand and hoped that the big-money signings would continue. And who knows - if the Israeli money-launderer hadn't had his assets frozen by a court case, maybe they would have ...

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
There will be a portsmouth football club for their so called loyal fans.

It may be in div 6 of the Portsmouth and district league but there will be.

So NO sympathy whatsover. Its not the same as an Aldershot or Maidstone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here