Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey crisis. Should Storrie, Redknapp and even Mandaric shoulder some of the blame?

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Local rivalries apart, you don't like seeing something like this happen to any football club.

Another aspect on the Tv is the Pompey fan who runs a building firm who did loads of work for the club and has ended up getting bumped for several thousand pounds, not some Johnny Foreigner 'investor' but an honest hardworking local small businessman.

But when and if all the dirty linen is washed out in the open will the three I've mentioned end up getting implicated?

IMHO the duo of Storrie and Redknapp will get found out, but I'm not sure about Mandaric did he just see the iceberg, from a long way off, and got out at the right time?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
1. Yes, all 3, to varying degrees. Storrie mainly.

2. Why do you ALWAYS have to start your own thread, rather than contributing to the existing ones?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not sure how Redknapp can be blamed really, is it not the chairman that has the last say ?

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
1. Yes, all 3, to varying degrees. Storrie mainly.

2. Why do you ALWAYS have to start your own thread, rather than contributing to the existing ones?

Sorry Hans, quite frantic at work, watched it on TV saw the builder bloke facing having to lay people off and just came in and posted, before trawling NSC.

Merge it if that makes you feel better:thumbsup:

I don't think Mandaric saw the iceberg; I can't remember when he left, but he sold up to Gadyamak, who then loaned the club a load of money rather than giving it to them, and that was seemingly when the trouble started. He was fairly opportunist in selling it when he did, but it appears that it was a genuine going concern at that time, rather than the pile of turd it's turned into since.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Another aspect on the Tv is the Pompey fan who runs a building firm who did loads of work for the club and has ended up getting bumped for several thousand pounds, not some Johnny Foreigner 'investor' but an honest hardworking local small businessman.

These kind of people are always the real victims of clubs going into admin, like at dirty Leeds with the St Johns Ambulance and the people who supplied the burgers.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sorry Hans, quite frantic at work, watched it on TV saw the builder bloke facing having to lay people off and just came in and posted, before trawling NSC.

Merge it if that makes you feel better:thumbsup:

Apology accepted. Just this once. I don't do merging -I'm not a mod.

ANyway FWIW, I agree with you entirely - the guy you refer to is a PERFECT example of why the current rules are wrong. The whole thing stinks.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I thought the problems arose because Mandaric left, as he was putting money into the club, wheres since then people have just been loaning the club money.
Storrie's definately to blame, as he's somehow the 3rd or 4th best paid chief executive at an English club but done no good at all, and claims he's worth his bonuses because he sells players

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Think the problem is that there are a hell of a lot of premiership clubs who are run in a similar way. Spending above your means is fine as long as you have your wealthy benefactor. pompey's problem was that there were never really an attaractive proposition whereas Man U, Chelsea and even Man city would probably be OK if their benefactors walked away as they have decent infrastructure. What benefits pompey have such as the ground, the land around the ground and their merchandiising rights have all been sold off (as mentioned in the the other thread Ian) to third parties. Storrie was a part of these decisions or at least new about them...he is the main culprit through the sorry saga!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
These kind of people are always the real victims of clubs going into admin, like at dirty Leeds with the St Johns Ambulance and the people who supplied the burgers.

yes BUT the burgers were shit at Leeds!

I agree 100% with what you say. And lets not forget, when they go into administration its you and me as taxpayers who are missing out on the tax/NIC/VAT that will not be paid over by a club that spent beyond its means to stay in the Corporate League.

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Not only are the local firms going to suffer but those 600 people employed include a lot of locals who will struggle to find other employment.

The club is down, broke and on the verge of oblivion

Pompey's financial woes have been well documented.

Players have been paid late on four occasions this season, while the club is also involved in a separate dispute with former owner Sacha Gaydamak over whether they have missed a deadline in paying a £9m chunk of the £28m they owe him.

The Premier League also withheld £2m of transfer payments recently and diverted a £7m slice of TV revenue to Chelsea and Watford to cover the signings of Glen Johnson and Tommy Smith respectively.

Portsmouth, currently bottom of the table with only 16 points, are also being sued by former defender Sol Campbell for £1.7m for unpaid image rights.

Despite their precarious financial position, O'Reilly, the accountant who prepared the financial statement that Pompey had to submit to the High Court earlier this month, is hopeful the club will continue to exist.

"I remain confident Portsmouth will survive," he said. "They'll do a deal with creditors, though HMRC is spitting feathers because Portsmouth have been a serial late payer.

"The club could end up a few leagues further down the football pyramid, but for the majority of Pompey fans that will be a good result.

"A perfect result would be a properly constituted board."

Portsmouth are likely to need between £22m and £26m to keep the club going until the end of the season.

Chainrai reluctantly took control of Pompey to protect his investment
But with Fratton Park having been sold to Chainrai, they have effectively just one asset remaining - the players.

According to the club's accounts, the playing staff is worth £23m, although the board claim the squad is worth much more.

"Unlike Newcastle, Portsmouth don't have a large fan base and lots of corporate facilities," added O'Reilly. "They are completely dependent on TV rights.

"Buying clubs will know that Portsmouth have to sell and will extract the best price they can. Not only that but players like David James have no resale value at all."

Portsmouth employ nearly 600 people - directly or indirectly - and O'Reilly warned them to expect a "rocky" time ahead.

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Seems like the fans blame Storrie too!

From the portsmouth news!

Fans plan protest

By Neil Allen

Furious Pompey fans are planning to protest against the running of the club at Burnley tomorrow.
Mike Hall and several other supporters are to unveil a banner aimed at the Blues chief executive Peter Storrie.

He also plans to lead chants against Balram Chainrai and others who have been associated with the Blues' demise.

The backlash will come a day after the club are expected to enter administration and receive a nine-point deduction.

And Hall, who is a north-stand season-ticket holder, has pledged to lead the fans' anger directed at those he believes have ruined the club.

He said: 'There's a lot of really bitter sentimentality about among the supporters.

'How can people who have been running our club sit there and not take responsibility?

'I want a clean sweep and I think most people are behind me in that belief.

'I never want to hear names like Gaydamak, Azougy, Kushnir and Chainrai again. I am sick of these people.

'I never want to see them in Portsmouth again.

'They are not welcome here. Get lost, sling your hook, you are not wanted, you are not welcome.

'Peter Storrie, as well, just go.

'He says he won't abandon the club – well it's about time the club abandoned him.

'The lot of them have to go.'

Hall is also a prominent member of the Pompey Supporters' Trust.

He will be present at nearby Burnley Cricket Club before tomorrow's match offering fans the chance to become members.

To date, more than 1,000 have signed-up at £5 a time.

Among them are Andy Awford, Alan Knight and rising Blues star Sam Magri.

And Hall hopes to recruit many of Pompey's northern followers also.

He added: 'The fans want to do something about this diabolical situation.

'We are angry, very angry at the situation.

'Look at the club now. Why do they need to have so many people at the top when it is bankrupt?

'Yet the admin staff will be the ones who will pay the price when they lose their jobs in administration.

'The whole thing stinks and the people responsible have to be made culpable.

'It is their fault.'

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
600? for a football club? im sorry to say thats part of the problem if thats the case. of course many of those will be support business but they are badly run too if they rely on Pompey 100% or even 50%.

brulee

Aug 12, 2008
redknapp is a great manager, but after his gone the clubs always skint. bounemouth, southampton, portsmouth.

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
Redknapp has a reputation for getting players cheap but on huge wages. However, you can't begrudge a manager trying to create the best team he can. However, the Chief Exec and Chairman should have made sure that he worked within his budgets. What they were doing who knows? Normally a lot of these problems come about when a team is relegated and the income just doesn't stand up to the expenditure but these problems have come about when Pompey are still in the premiership.

Seriously poor stewardship by the directors in my opinion.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Looking for a Scapegoat. Will anyone go to Jail ?

On the verge of oblivion. Worse than Bill Archer and his cronies.

Last edited:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Well,like many have said all three share a great deal in Portsmouths problems,however Redknapp to me has an awful lots to answer for. How can a club like Pompey afford 70K aweek wages and that was down to 'Arry' when he signed Defoe and co. :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here