Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey again. Comparisons with the Archer years

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
The belotti thread got me thinkingTook this from the news. Bit highlighted is very worrying for them. reminds me of when Archer slyly changed our constitution so he could profit from the sale of the ground!

'Where's the money going to come from?

By Neil Allen

They were chanting 'Where's the money gone?' as Mark Jacob emerged. It was an uncomfortable reception from a group of Pompey supporters gathered at the Frogmore Road entrance.
Meeting the symbolic 12th man for the handing over of an open letter addressed to Ali Al Faraj on Saturday afternoon, Jacob rose his head above the parapet for the first time to meet the fans.

And he was promptly gunned down by a torrent of dissenting voices.
Still the question should be 'Where's the money going to come from?'.

Unfortunately, the question of identifying future investment is one the Al Faraj regime cannot confidently answer. Not even in these times of new-found openness and honesty.

Unless that solution can be discovered, the Blues' short-term future will remain very, very bleak.

Simply put, there is not one single guarantee in place that precious investment is on the way.

And that is the biggest concern.

Undoubtedly, when Al Faraj stepped in on October 5 he saved the football club from administration.

Since then, we have been assured by Jacob they haven't come close to once again tottering on that crumbling precipice.

That is largely due to this oft-spoken £40m being generated and then spent in keeping Pompey afloat.

According to club accounts leaked anonymously to The News, this appears to be true.

The authenticity of these accounts – dated December 3 – have subsequently been verified by Jacob.

Among its information is proof the club paid £3.3m to the Inland Revenue in December and planned to pay £8.14m last month.

Interestingly, it also backs up Sulaiman Al Fahim's claims he put £5m into the club in August while owner.

Back to the £40m figure and the club accounts show £16.75m has come from Balram Chainrai via a loan through Al Faraj's company Falcondrone over three months.

In addition, £2.5m arrived last month from Barclays Bank concerning an overdraft facility they acknowledged should be paid back to the club.

Then there is the £2.24m the club will this month receive from instalments in the transfers of Niko Kranjcar (Spurs) among others.

Finally, there is £11m of Sky money, a sum which was first distributed in December.

All four income streams total approaching £40m. All have arrived from sources other than Al Faraj, and all have been ploughed back into the club.

Obviously, at this moment in time, investment is the key.

Ahmed Al Faraj last week told The News he was hopeful that investment can be found within the next 'two to three months'. The worry is that will be too late.

As for Chainrai, the Hong Kong money lender who continues to bail Pompey out, he stepped forward once again this month with a £2m loan to bridge another wages shortfall.

In recognition of his contribution, his company Portpin now has the mortgage on Fratton Park.

However, Jacob insists it is still the property of Portsmouth City Football Club.

The likelihood remains he will be turned to once again on January 31 should investment not materialise soon.

Of course, the required cash injection does not necessarily have to come from other institutions.

Selling players this month is a realistic proposition and surely the most inevitable at this moment in time.

Pompey have repeated they will review the situation should they receive a 'substantial' offer for one of their players.

According to accounts, they have projected £11.75m to be made from the future sales of players this month.

Interestingly, they have already turned down a 12m euros bid (£10.6m) from Lens for prize asset Younes Kaboul in the hope of holding out for more.

The prospect of selling any player who can help keep the Blues in the Premier League is an unpalatable one for the majority of fans.

It was also a point doggedly made by John Westwood during Saturday's Chimes Bar meeting with Jacob.

Then again, can they really afford to decline the opportunity to clinch around £12m worth of investment a transfer would bring?

Similarly, the possibility of £65,000-a-week David James ripping up his Fratton Park contract to switch to Stoke was a lucrative one in respect of slashing the wage bill.

Of course, there remain the issues with the Inland Revenue bill at present, in addition to the transfer embargo.

The Blues were today hoping to win their High Court appeal on a £5.5m HM Revenue & Customs bill which has led to a winding-up petition being served.

Pompey are also pursuing their fight with the Premier League to lift the embargo having paid £5m owed to Chelsea, Spurs and West Ham, via
their Sky money.

They have also come to an agreement with Lens and Rennes over the
structure of future repayments. Negotiations are continuing with final
creditor Udinese.

In addition, the Premier League have withheld £2m of the remaining Sky money.

Yet these are nothing more than distractions from the main problem – the distinct absence of new investment.

There could be moral victories over the next month and the odd million shaved off the debt.

Admittedly, the current regime have seized control of the purse strings and slowly but surely are helping the club back on its feet.

Credit where credit is due, there are people behind those Fratton Park scenes working extremely hard to add vital stability and restore equilibrium following so much financial uncertainty.

But without the hard fact of a substantial cash injection into this football club, it is very, very difficult to feel confident over its future.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm sorry, but every time I hear about Pompey's plight, I just end up chuckling to myself at the idea that some REET on their staff thought John Utaka was worth £80k a week :lolol: You couldn't make it up.

Whoever they signed him from must have been absolutely killing themselves laughing. Brilliant.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I'm sorry, but every time I hear about Pompey's plight, I just end up chuckling to myself at the idea that some REET on their staff thought John Utaka was worth £80k a week :lolol: You couldn't make it up.

Whoever they signed him from must have been absolutely killing themselves laughing. Brilliant.

Is their situation much different to the time The Albion were handing out silly long contracts that crippled the club financially and allowed the three scum to move in for nothing and ruin our club?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Frankly, I think they are doomed and its not If but When... They have a low relative attendance and they do not attract the commercial interests of the more popular clubs. I fear that they have overspent and they can't really increase income to cover it.

They may as well flog everyone they can to cover the debt and reduce the wage bill and go back to basics in The Championship.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
What strikes me here is the naivety of the fans - "where's the money gone?"!

It's patently obvious that Pompey have been living way beyond their means since they appointed Redknapp the first time. Even the team that won the Championship was assembled at a great cost.

The club have poor infrastructure - low capacity, no executive boxes - and cannot compete long-term.

It's well known that they have been one of the highest wage paying clubs outside the top four since they got in the Premiership. How else do the fans think they've attracted the calibre of player that they've had until recently? I don't think any African or French child has ever dreamed of playing at Fratton Park...

Their other problem is that the transfer window hasn't got going and clubs are being more careful in how much they spend.

Having lived in Portsmouth for many years, I feel sorry for the genuine, good-natured fan (of which there are a few) but I can only laugh at people like John Westwood. He said he'd never go again when Redknapp returned. A complete tool.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
it does sound like they're being naive if they're asking where the money's gone... if they'd questioned where the money was coming from in the first place they might not have got into this mess in the first place. why did they think people like mandaric and gaydamark, al-faraj and al-fahim were involved with a club like pompey?

i was finding it all fairly amusing until i read that the ground has now passed into the hands of a speculator based overseas. i would be very very worried if i was a pompey fan right now. once they go into administration i assume they'll forfeit any right to play at fratton park (as any existing rent agreement etc will become invalidated) and this bloke will be free to sell it to whoever he wants. or, i guess he could agree a lease with the newly founded club that emerges from administration.

so in that context, why on earth are they complaining about a lack of expensive signings when the very existing of the cub is potentially under threat.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Most clubs are living beyond their means - we are, that why we needed someone to pay for Falmer.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Scudamore said "It would be rank bad management if a Premier League club were to go into administration".

This is the monster you have nurtured and created you silly fool!

I think Scudamore is absolutely correct. If you cant pay your way whilst in the Premiership, then it must be down to bad management. All Premier league clubs pay huge transfers and pay big wages, but they generally can afford it due to TV money and the rate in which they can charge advertisers/sponsors. Gate receipts count for very little. Clubs generally get into trouble when they get relegated and the TV/sponsor money dries up, but they are left still with sky high wages.

The difference with Portsmouth, is that they are shelling out at the higher end of the Prem League, whereas if the shelled out with say the likes of Bolton, Stoke etc they wouldn't be in this situation now. Thats bad management.

Should they go down, I really do believe that they will go out of business. The Arabs will simply want there money back, in any way they can.

They are like Leeds and look what happened to them. The big difference being that they do not have someone like Bates who knows all the financial blind alleys.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
it does sound like they're being naive if they're asking where the money's gone... if they'd questioned where the money was coming from in the first place they might not have got into this mess in the first place. why did they think people like mandaric and gaydamark, al-faraj and al-fahim were involved with a club like pompey?

i was finding it all fairly amusing until i read that the ground has now passed into the hands of a speculator based overseas. i would be very very worried if i was a pompey fan right now. once they go into administration i assume they'll forfeit any right to play at fratton park (as any existing rent agreement etc will become invalidated) and this bloke will be free to sell it to whoever he wants. or, i guess he could agree a lease with the newly founded club that emerges from administration.

so in that context, why on earth are they complaining about a lack of expensive signings when the very existing of the cub is potentially under threat.

All correct.

They're WHINING about the sale of Kaboul, which could just help keep them afloat. Morons.

As for someone selling Fratton Park for redevelopment - the one thing going for them, is that the area is an absolute HOLE, and consequently, it isn't the prime plot of land other grounds might be.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
All correct.

They're WHINING about the sale of Kaboul, which could just help keep them afloat. Morons.

As for someone selling Fratton Park for redevelopment - the one thing going for them, is that the area is an absolute HOLE, and consequently, it isn't the prime plot of land other grounds might be.

but i assume the person who's lent them the cash has had the land valued and considers it a safe investment? fratton is a shitehole though i agree, but a supermarket might be interested in the land.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I'd be more worried about the fact that one of the MAIN spokesmen for the fans of my club is a ridiculous shirtless buffoon in a dreadlock wig, top hat and clown shoes...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I am not saying that the Premier League is entirely to blame, but they have created this cash cow and widened the disparity between the top flight and the Championship. They are partially responsible for the astronomical growth in wages. If a team is guaranteed £40m+ for finishing 17th in the Premier League, then they are going to push the boundaries to ensure that they do not get relegated.

I don't agree with the parachute payments. Why should a club that has failed to stay in the top flight be at an advantage of those clubs who are vying for a place at the top, perhaps a better run team on a frugal basis? What should be done is a better distribution of wealth amongst the whole football pyramid. I never quite understood the premise behind the Premier League giving that golden handshake, but giving more to those at the top end of the football league. Where is the sense in that?

Even two of the 'traditional top four' seem to be tightening their belts. Fergie claimed he could buy players with the proceeds of the Ronaldo sale, but clearly that has been used to bolster the financial position with such a huge amount of debt to be serviced.

Liverpool don't seem to be able to gather finance for a new stadium and foolishly Everton and Liverpool seem intent on building two new grounds as opposed to sharing.

Chelsea are about to break even and are virtually debt-free if Kenyon is to be believed. I am not sure how, but then I am not privy to their accounts.

Hopefully the whole system will come crashing down soon. This article in The Guardian is rather interesting and unthinkable really. The most famous and most powerful football club would appear to be (potentially) at the mercy of some greedy money men who have used the club as a personal bank.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jan/19/manchester-united-finance-the-glazers

Sadly, there are not enough teams like West Brom who tend to be very sensible and realise their limitations. They don't seem to overspend in an effort to stay in the top flight at all costs.

There also needs to be more clarity in what money is being put into the clubs and what is being taken out. Would the Pompey fans have been so supportive of the recent ownerships if they were given more information as to the goings on or are most football fans still stuck in a state of naivety in thinking that the owners/chairman has the clubs best interest at heart?

At a lower level, how are persons like Risdale or Bates still involved in the game? Would you have welcomed either of them to Brighton?

How long will clubs continue to get away with trampling on their creditors? The behaviour of Leeds and Leicester is really a bitter pill to swallow. I feel slightly more mellow when it comes to the likes of Luton or Swindon or Rotherham, but then I am not one of the creditors affected.

We haven't had a team going bust for a while, but I would imagine that we are closer now more than ever. There is not an endless supply of millionaires out there with deep pockets and sooner or later I expect we shall see clubs disappearing.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Scudamore said "It would be rank bad management if a Premier League club were to go into administration".

This is the monster you have nurtured and created you silly fool!

The PL have are supposed to have something called a 'fit and proper persons test', don't they? What's the point of that if this can happen? Sure, wage nonsense is one thing, a la Leeds, but to sign over the mortgage to your ground is astonishing.

The sooner the PL sod over to Europe and create their much-vaunted Superleague, the better. In my lifetime I hope.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here