Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

POLL: IF we beat Wrexham AND Newcastle game moved to Sunday for TV would you....

IF we end up playing Newcastle on the Sunday for TV would you

• play the DS Squad as it's PALACE on the Tuesday which is more important

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • Play a FULL STRENGTH team, we should be aiming for a cup upset

Votes: 13 40.6%

• Total voters

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
........rather Gus plays the DS Squad or the best team available, given that Palace is taking place on the Tuesday, and they don't have a weekend game since out of the cup?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
DS without a doubt. Possibly sprinkled with cameo performances from first teamers off the bench if we have something to play for approaching the final half hour.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Just posted about this on the other thread. Play the entire Development squad again wrexham and newcastle.

31st of Jan is our priority. If we beat wrexham I'd play the development squad against Newcastle. We need to work out where our priorities lie and stick with it. Even with a full team out against Newcastle we have little chance of winning, and the worst thing we could possibly do is half arse both games.

I don't understand why people have a wankathon over these show pony games against big teams. Unless we had a chance of getting to the final I'd sacrifice the cup for 3 points in the league every single time.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
ds at wrexham, but bring on some big guns in the dying minutes..

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Just posted about this on the other thread. Play the entire Development squad again wrexham and newcastle.

31st of Jan is our priority. If we beat wrexham I'd play the development squad against Newcastle. We need to work out where our priorities lie and stick with it. Even with a full team out against Newcastle we have little chance of winning, and the worst thing we could possibly do is half arse both games.

I don't understand why people have a wankathon over these show pony games against big teams. Unless we had a chance of getting to the final I'd sacrifice the cup for 3 points in the league every single time.
Completely agreed. Lets face it, Toon will beat us whatever team we put out. Concentrate on the league I say (especially Palace!!)

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The Newcastle game is more important than any one single league match. I'm not saying that for a fishing expedition or a wind-up, it's my honest opinion. It's a minority opinion I know, but there you go.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Completely agreed. Lets face it, Toon will beat us whatever team we put out. Concentrate on the league I say (especially Palace!!)

Haven't we beaten a Premiership team from the North East already this season?

I also think we should prioritise Palace BTW.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
The Newcastle game is more important than any one single league match. I'm not saying that for a fishing expedition or a wind-up, it's my honest opinion. It's a minority opinion I know, but there you go.

I'm not going to flame you, (although I suspect that others might) Would you prefer to beat Toon rather than Palace?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Haven't we beaten a Premiership team from the North East already this season?

I also think we should prioritise Palace BTW.

True, although it was Sunderland under Bruce, and Newcastle have a much better team (IMO and I'm in no way belittling our achievement of beating Sunderland)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm not going to flame you, (although I suspect that others might) Would you prefer to beat Toon rather than Palace?
Well I'd rather win both - which we can do. I certainly don't agree with this modern theory that some fans have that Cup run automatically means your league form suffers or that a big Cup game automatically means means you play shit in the next league game.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Well I'd rather win both - which we can do. I certainly don't agree with this modern theory that some fans have that Cup run automatically means your league form suffers or that a big Cup game automatically means means you play shit in the next league game.

I know, but you can't deny our form took a massive dive after Liverpool beat us at the Amex?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If we have players in the development squad hoping to break into the senior team in the Championship, then they have to be capable of beating a Conference side. That, to my mind, was Gus' thinking. He has seen who made the step up and who didn't, so I expect to see Hall and JFC again but with more senior players. Any non league team is capable of raising their game on the day which is why the 3rd round cup day is so enjoyable.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I don't think i can take another spanking from Palace, the shit i've taken over the loss still hasn't died down. Play the friggin tea lady and Gully's girls for all i care we NEED to beat palace!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I know, but you can't deny our form took a massive dive after Liverpool beat us at the Amex?
Are you saying that was the cause of it though? I think it was more co-incidence, certainly I don't think you can blame eight or nine bad results on the fact that we gave a top premiership side a run for its money. However IF our defeat against Liverpool WAS the sole reason for our slump - it proves how important it is to beat Newcastle! (Or even Wrexham come to that!)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
To Gus, like it or not, Palace will be just another league game - we don't get any bonus points for winning that game compared to any other.

So, what it comes down to is just how seriously he takes the league and if he does fancy a cup run.

I don't buy this "no chance against Newcastle" nonsense either - they are a middle-of-the-road Premiership team who will be minus their leading light, due to the African Cup of Nations. A fully firing Albion first team will give them a bloody good game and the Amex 12th man can help them too.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
As easy10 said in another thread, we're not going up and we're not going down, let's have some fun on the way. Play the strongest team we can, I want to see us play Newcastle at the Amex.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here