Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Police State V 5. I Was Stopped Last Night Under The Prevention Of Terrorism Act

As I strolled through the leafy towers of Canary Wharf after a hard day of graft and posting n NSC. I was stopped by the Met.

"Can we stop you Sir"

"Yes of course". The Officer started to outline why

"Its XMAS........lots of shoppers................heavy bags..................Terrorism...............Canary Wharf"

Then hids mood changed "I have stop and search powers under Section 44 of the Terrorism Act".....................

"get on with it" I joked.

My bag was promptly searched and then he became jovial again. I was wearing some cycling gear. so my flourencescents were glowing in the night air. He asked about my cycle route etc.

He checked my ethnicity :thumbsup: but What was strange, he asked about my height????:glare:

I would have thought I did not look like Mr. Terrorist. I would have glowed under the CCTV so prevalent around the Big Brother wharf.

Perhaps it was the tokenistic effort to balance the stop and search targets.

Canary Wharf is adjecent to Poplar, probably 80% asian and 100% working class.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I was stopped a few months ago at Tottenham Hale tube station. The sniffer dog went a little bit mental at my Bachelors chicken and noodle cup-a-soups in my bag.
:laugh:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Are they actually allowed to do that ? My understanding is that they have to have reasonable suspicion that an offence has been, is being or will be committed to stop and search anyone. We're already living in a Police state anyway.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
When I deliver there, they take swabs from different parts of the lorry. On one occasion they put a dog in the back too. The security there is more than anywhere else I go.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
I got pulled for a breath test on my way to M&S Holmbush early last saturday morning. I was terrified as had shared a few bottles of wine with my wife the night before but thankfully I was all clear.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Your lucky you wasnt shot at point blank range by a brazilian exchange police sharpshooter student for wearing a obviously terroristical rucksack :thumbsup:

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Are they actually allowed to do that ? My understanding is that they have to have reasonable suspicion that an offence has been, is being or will be committed to stop and search anyone. We're already living in a Police state anyway.

Wouldn't be supprised if they have a clause like they do in the drink driving laws that says if it is a designated period they can stop anyone regardless.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
As I strolled through the leafy towers of Canary Wharf after a hard day of graft and posting n NSC. I was stopped by the Met.

"Can we stop you Sir"

"Its XMAS........lots of shoppers................heavy bags..................Terrorism...............Canary Wharf"

Then hids mood changed "I have stop and search powers under Section 44 of the Terrorism Act".....................

My bag was promptly searched and then he became jovial again. I was wearing some cycling gear. so my flourencescents were glowing in the night air. He asked about my cycle route etc.

He checked my ethnicity :thumbsup: but What was strange, he asked about my height????:glare:

I would have thought I did not look like Mr. Terrorist. I would have glowed under the CCTV so prevalent around the Big Brother wharf.

The IRA bombers who did South Quay right there were as white as Marleys Ghost. Richard Reid was mixed race.

David Copeland may well not have been stopped in Brick Lane, randomly.

There are plenty of nutters out there why wouldnt one be wearing a suit and be white? Its not all Spooks and tip offs that Al Quada are planning spectaculars.

Its a classic, if you say NO, its probaly off to the Van and a full record check.

I am relaxed when these things happen, only, because, you know they can turn it all nasty.

There's that similar stopping power the Police have with football supporters, that give them absolute power to be a prat.

Happy Xmas, I wonder if Santa will get stopped?

Dodgy clothes, beard, unnecessary amount of parcels, sneaking around on roofs?

it's crap isn't it? Absolutely no deterrent and a big step towards a police state.

Merry Xmas by the way :thumbsup:

Hey mate talking of terrorists? Where's that book on that anarchist?

Have a good un. Look forward to chilling out one day.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
largest haul of explosives found in mainland Britain in the last couple of years was at that BNP blokes house wasn't it? Burnley or Stafford or somewhere like that.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
largest haul of explosives found in mainland Britain in the last couple of years was at that BNP blokes house wasn't it? Burnley or Stafford or somewhere like that.

yep this paranoia about police states and tokenism when stopping white people is ridiculous to say the least. I am no fan of the old bill but even less of a fan of Rik from the Young Ones types hating The Pigs. The poor asian shopkeeper who died in the Canary Wharf bomb that was the catalyst for the security (not an anti Islamic knee jerk reaction to brown people being scary), or David Copelands intended victims in Brick Lane would probably agree.

Stop being silly, this is nowhere near a police state. You show your own ignorance when you claim it is, or close to it. Little bit embarassing.

"Can we stop you Sir"

You look like the sort who will sit at a computer, and broadcast the fact that the ob stopped you in the quest to find terrorists.
Job done.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008

We aren't living in a police state... i don't see anyone arrested for saying what they think. I could say right now that i hate Gordon Brown and the Queen and the government and they won't track me down and arrest me... how is this a police state.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
We aren't living in a police state... i don't see anyone arrested for saying what they think. I could say right now that i hate Gordon Brown and the Queen and the government and they won't track me down and arrest me... how is this a police state.

we are by no means free to do what we want and the OB have a Proven Track Record of being c unts and abusing power, and goading people into kicking off so they get nicked.

But for fucks sake some would have you believe you live in Galtieri's Argentina, and we should not bother anyone or inconvenience them slightly as that is far more important thanm some poor c unts being shovelled into a binbag at Aldgate tube station.

Woods/trees etc.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...

"Can we stop you Sir"

"get on with it" I joked

Do you look like a Tory MP? - clearly an act of outright terrorism.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Do you look like a Tory MP? - clearly an act of outright terrorism.

quality political satire there. What next, a musical with Andrew Lloyd Webber?

Next - George Bush Is A Bit Stupid hahahahahahahahahahaha

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Damien Green ??? Even if he should have been arrested why under the anti-terrorism act ?
Another journalist ( who's name escapes me at the moment ) bugged and arrested because she regualrly spoke to police officers
The police can breakup groups of 4 people and greater WITHOUT giving a reason
No demonstrating outside parliment or in Downing Street
Keeping DNA of innocent people

and, much as I hate the guy, John Catt being arrested for an anti-Blair tea-shirt.

There's plenty of evidence that the police have attempted altered the facts in the Brazlian shoting case and have then been protected by the juditoury ( sp? ) by the judge not allowing the jury to return a verdict of unlawful killing.

I would agree it's not the USSR or Nazi Germany YET but the police have far too many powers AND are politicised. We live in an overly controlled society and it is policed by an ever bulling police force and security services.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here