Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Police on twitter today

franks brother

Greater Manchester Police today put on twitter the calls received in their 999 system.
R2 were reading some of them at lunchtime.

- Someone who rang up to ask if they could fit an alarm on his house;
-Someone who rang up because his Job Seekers Allowance had not been paid;
-Someone who rang to say she was in a dog-walking area with her dog and there was somebody there , walking, who did not have a dog

And others where the information given was so vague it was impossible to tell the urgency or scale of the problem.

It shows how skilled the 999 agents need to be, and how hard it can be for the police to know where to direct resources. It also shows how thick many people are, and even though there is a non-emergency number people don't use it:(

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I don't think it takes all that much skil to figure out priority calls if those are the standard.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
"call 1433 threats made to staff by patient #gmp24"

Blimey, I've been threatened loads by patients and never had to phone the police!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
"call 1433 threats made to staff by patient #gmp24"

Blimey, I've been threatened loads by patients and never had to phone the police!

Happened fairly regularly when I worked in Brighton.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Happened fairly regularly when I worked in Brighton.

We've had to get the police in several times for patients that have run off (normally the same 2 patients, so much that most of the police know me now). Suppose because we're one step away from A&E most of the real nasties are filtered out. All part of the fun!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Don't get me started, I used to spend several hours every week searching for Brighton & Hove's regular overdosers who'd take a stack of pills, get themselves to hospital then walk out because they couldn't be arsed to wait for treatment, resulting in the hospital calling police out of concern for their welfare.

:angry:

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Don't get me started, I used to spend several hours every week searching for Brighton & Hove's regular overdosers who'd take a stack of pills, get themselves to hospital then walk out because they couldn't be arsed to wait for treatment, resulting in the hospital calling police out of concern for their welfare.

:angry:

Tell me about it - we have to fill out a 30 page document, document it in the notes, fill out an incident form and then do the whole thing over again when you lot turn up as you have your own documents!

Last time one of the overdosers came in for her weekly "appointment", it took me 2 hours in total to sort her out when I could have been looking after the other 9 people that I was supposed to!!! Turns out that she just went home because "she was missing Jeremy Kyle". Sake.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Greater Manchester Police today put on twitter the calls received in their 999 system.
R2 were reading some of them at lunchtime.

- Someone who rang up to ask if they could fit an alarm on his house;
-Someone who rang up because his Job Seekers Allowance had not been paid;
-Someone who rang to say she was in a dog-walking area with her dog and there was somebody there , walking, who did not have a dog

And others where the information given was so vague it was impossible to tell the urgency or scale of the problem.

It shows how skilled the 999 agents need to be, and how hard it can be for the police to know where to direct resources. It also shows how thick many people are, and even though there is a non-emergency number people don't use it:(

The initial training course for the Communications Dept staff (that take the 9's/non emergency/crime calls and staff the radios) is several weeks long and the volume of info to learn is intense to boot

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here