Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Poch Sacked

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
This is an appointment born out of blind panic. Spurs are mortgaged up to the eyeballs now with their glitzy new stadium - they desperately need Champions League football to help fund it. They've become accustomed to that additional revenue stream over the last 4 years, so not making top 4 will be a disaster for them on and off the pitch.

They've stood still in the transfer market for too long, the squad has become stale, they have several key players who don't want to be there any more and will leave in the summer for nothing, the playing side needs a major overhaul. Levy will be hoping Mourinho can attract the players they need without being able to offer Champions League football (they're obviously not going to bridge an 11 point gap).

This has CATASTROPHE written all over it. Pass the Pringles.

Really don’t need CL football desperately, it’s priced without European football and the refinancing earlier this year means we are paying about £1 a year.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Really don’t need CL football desperately, it’s priced without European football and the refinancing earlier this year means we are paying about £1 a year.

£1 a year ? ???
Levy borrowed £640m from the banks towards the £1bn they shelled out on NWHL.

Spurs made €61m in 2018 from the CL after being knocked out in the first knockout round. They made the Final this year, so probably made getting on for €100m. Taking that out of the equation will knock a pretty sizeable hole in Spur's finances.

And its not just the money they'll miss out on from next year - the fact that that will not be competing in next seasons premium European club competition means the calibre of players they can attract will also be of a level below the elite. That is not a market Mourinho is used to working in, he only ever buys the finished product. Turd-polishing has never really been his forté.

That academy had better be bloody amazing...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Like others have said, I think Spurs have massively stood still in the transfer market. In the summer they were prepared to let half a dozen players leave but didn't really get on with the sourcing and signing replacements. To start the season with Aurier as the only proper right back was bizarre, sure others can fill in and Walker-Peters is an option too but he's not a right back and certainly has no experience. It's a really poorly balanced squad now with a number of players either who have wanted to leave, or were not wanted by Pochettino quite publically. Rose is overrated at left back but is their best, he wouldn't have still been there had he found himself a new club in the summer as was intended.

I do think Mourinho can work with the squad though - it's great news for Dele Alli and Eric Dier in particular, marginalised and underperforming under Pochettino but with a new manager who will presumably like both and play both regularly. Good news for Harry Kane as well. I think the bones of the squad are there for Mourinho but he'll want a new keeper (Gazzaniga is a joke) to take over from Lloris longer term and he'll need to reshape the defence either in January or in the summer. Let the stale boys who don't want to be there anymore leave, Eriksen and Alderweireld mainly but arguably Vertonghen as well. Mourinho's spending at United was awful, but this is a different club with different expectactions and needs. We'll see if he's still Special or past his peak, this could be his last job in club football.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thought I saw it reported very recently that city made only £30m less than United so had nearly caught them up.

Bare in mind that is City winning the double and getting to the CL semi finals compared with United's 6th place, 1/4 final of the FA cup and Europa, ending potless. Isn't getting to the CL semi final worth about £100m in its own right with TV revenue etc.?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
£1 a year ? ???
Levy borrowed £640m from the banks towards the £1bn they shelled out on NWHL.

Spurs made €61m in 2018 from the CL after being knocked out in the first knockout round. They made the Final this year, so probably made getting on for €100m. Taking that out of the equation will knock a pretty sizeable hole in Spur's finances.

And its not just the money they'll miss out on from next year - the fact that that will not be competing in next seasons premium European club competition means the calibre of players they can attract will also be of a level below the elite. That is not a market Mourinho is used to working in, he only ever buys the finished product. Turd-polishing has never really been his forté.

That academy had better be bloody amazing...

https://www.sportbusiness.com/news/tottenham-hails-stadium-financing-deal/

Yep, still makes zero difference to stadium payments.

Spurs will have increased income from the NFL, Saracens and with the club paying out for Wembley/reduced ticket sales.

Chelsea/United/Leicester/Arsenal and to a lesser extent Everton have showed being in the CL is not the be all and end all when signing players.

The Lemming Stomper

Under the flag
Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Will Jose appointment convince any of their out of contract players to sign a new contract or will Erikson and Alderweild follow Poch when he takes over at Real Madrid next week after they have lost to Real Socidad and PSG to signal the sacking of Zindane. I think that he needs to keep Rose who to me is the 2nd best English left back only behind Chilwell and the 3rd best in the Premier after Robertson and Chilwell.

Cobblers, Rose not fit to lace Cresswells boots

Southpaw

Nov 19, 2019
Spurs are 14th.It will be fairly easy for Mou to get them to around 6 so he doesn't have to achieve too much to show he's made a difference.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Bare in mind that is City winning the double and getting to the CL semi finals compared with United's 6th place, 1/4 final of the FA cup and Europa, ending potless. Isn't getting to the CL semi final worth about £100m in its own right with TV revenue etc.?

Putting it like that it is pretty amazing how much United make!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
My Spurs mate says

Seems that the rot had set in at the arse end of last season. Even while we were fluking our way through to the CL Final-last minute goals, VAR etc, we were appalling in the League

He seems to have sulks with individual players and freezes them out completely for a time as per your list

Revealing stat I saw last week though that he had not played an unchanged team for 94 games
They are certainly a different team now to when Poch 1st got going. Slow and methodical. We get outworked by every other team when it used to be the other way around
This is actually a Mourinho team. He doesn’t like energetic pressing teams

My list of players referred to (as not trying very hard) was Delle Ali, Erikson, Alderwiereld, Vertongen, Rose but you could probably add more.

Watch this space - Alderwiereld.

There isn't a room big enough at Spurs Lodge for both Mourinho and Alderwiereld to get their Egos and heads the sizes of theirs into the same room. Only saving grace is that Alderwiereld is the type of player that Mourinho is likely to like as a player so we are in for a very ''Public Bust Up'' or a total ''Love In''

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Watch this space - Alderwiereld.

There isn't a room big enough at Spurs Lodge for both Mourinho and Alderwiereld to get their Egos and heads the sizes of theirs into the same room. Only saving grace is that Alderwiereld is the type of player that Mourinho is likely to like as a player so we are in for a very ''Public Bust Up'' or a total ''Love In''

Alderwiereld is out of contract at the end of season, so is Erikson & Vertonghen. That should never have been allowed to happen and imo is a major cause of all things bad at Spurs. Poch kept picking them which he shouldn't of, but he probably thought well you didn't sell them or replace them so I have no choice but to play them.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wouldnt you rather pick Alderwiereld and Vertonghen than Sanchez? I wonder who Jose will move on I would suggest Sanchez, Wanyama ,Aurier and possibly Lamela. Harry was quoted in the press as saying that Poch problems stemmed around picking Erickson who didnt want to play for Spurs and as such shouldnt have been picked and left to rot.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
This appointment makes no sense at all. The special one always needs/demands big transfer funds. Levy is as tight as a ducks arse. Can only see a strop when things don't go to plan

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Although that's a little extreme and somewhat unlikely, these days :down:

It is pleasing to have already played Shite Spurs and having the return fixture before the transfer window is thrown open.

With luck Mr Special will field the under-23s against us to make a point to Levy that he needs new players in January.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Pretty harsh considering he is only 56, started at 37 years old in 2000, has managed Benfica, Porto, Chelsea, Inter, Real Madrid and Man Utd, has won 25 major trophies and only two years ago won the Europa League and League Cup in the same season.
Still...you boys slagging him off know best
p.s Check out how United have done since he left. How many trophies Poch has won in his career, despite all the big talk and what Tottenham's trophy cabinet looks like since 1991.

He was undoubtedly brilliant between 2002 and 2010, best in the world for most of that time. But since then, really not that great. He peaked with the Inter Champions League win and 8 years is a long time for a manager at the top anyway.

I’m not saying this as a Jose hater. I was fascinated by him, I’m a football geek and have studied and read many books on him, Pep, Bielsa, Klopp and other influential coaches and managers in football today and the game has moved on from him and his methods. Unless he has undergone a major personality change, which I can’t see, I just can’t see this working out.

It will be interesting to see how the Spurs fans, supposedly brought up on entertaining, attacking football, react to the man who says he doesn’t want his team to have the football as those who have it, have fear.

The only thing that might work for him here is that I actually think managing a slightly lower team that maybe aren’t expected to win everything suits him more than managing the super powers. At a Porto, Chelsea in 2004 or Spurs today, he can use excuses and promote the almost underdog, us against the world thing in his side more than he could at the 2 biggest clubs in the world in Real and Utd.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This was coming, Spurs have lacked any consistency this season, drawing at home to Sheffield United the final straw.
It needed fixing, but getting rid of a great manager doesn't seem like the sensible option to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here