Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poached Eggs

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Pop it on a slice of wholemeal toast for a DELICIOUS and NUTRITIOUS breakfast.

And who's gonna argue with that?

Not me, I'll tell you

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I used to love eggs. Then I became allergic to them. Grr!

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Love poached eggs. When they're done well, with a bit of vinegar in the water and some salt and pepper on top - mmmm. Does anyone do all the swirling water round in the pan to get the egg to stick together? Apparently in the top kitchens they can do that to make the poached egg come out in an egg shape, I'd love to do that!

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
That is exactly what I do.

It is rarely egg shaped, but it does at least come out in one lump

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Bugger to clean after though.

My preferred method these days is to break an egg into a mug lined with cling film, twizzle to seal and drop the whole parcel into boiling water for 5 mins. Remove cling film. Eat on toast.

I do it that way, but i also smear a little butter on the cling film to stop the egg sticking to the cling film.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I don't really like poached eggs, but have scrambled every Sunday.

Taken me ages to get it right. If anyone is interested, fot two people I break 4 eggs into a COLD saucepan.

Whisk (with a proper hand whisk - not a fork) and then add about a tablespoon of butter, salt and pepper.

This is placed over the LOWEST heat possible on the hob and whisked continuously and vigorously. The eggs will foam if you are doing it right.

The mixture will firstly start to thicken like custard.

This is a completely different approach than simply roughing up an omelette. Proper scrambled eggs take time.

When it starts to solidify at the bottom, I move to a wooden spoon but still continue to stir very quickly. This is a crucial stage and leaving the pan on the heat without stiring will ruin it.

When you need to leave the pan for a few minutes to make the toast, it's important you take it off even the low heat that is there

Timing is crucial. When the eggs still have a certain amount of liquid, you can start to think about the toast, remembering that the eggs continue to cook in the pan alone when off the heat.

Anyway - this method of whisking over a low heat continuously and vigorously initially into a thick custard makes very very creamy eggs. Everyone thinks they know how to make scrambled eggs (I did) but when it's done properly, you realise how rubbish the ones you made before were.

Last edited:

Clapham Gull speaks the TRUTH about the TECHNIQUE of cooking scrambled eggs.

I would add a small quantity of milk to the mixture (as well as the butter, salt and pepper) - ideally from the top of a bottle of whole milk (if that is still allowed in your household).

The real skill is deciding on the PRECISE MOMENT that the eggs are ready to pile on top of the buttered toast.

One more IMPORTANT thing is to heat the plate that you will serve the meal on. There is nothing worse than a cold plate - some scrambled egg will inevitably fall off the toast and on to the plate. When this happens, you don't want it to go cold.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Clapham Gull speaks the TRUTH about the TECHNIQUE of cooking scrambled eggs.

I would add a small quantity of milk to the mixture (as well as the butter, salt and pepper) - ideally from the top of a bottle of whole milk (if that is still allowed in your household).

The real skill is deciding on the PRECISE MOMENT that the eggs are ready to pile on top of the buttered toast.

One more IMPORTANT thing is to heat the plate that you will serve the meal on. There is nothing worse than a cold plate - some scrambled egg will inevitably fall off the toast and on to the plate. When this happens, you don't want it to go cold.

I always do the toast under the grill, because the turned off grill then becomes quite useful in keeping the buttered toast warm if you've mistimed the eggs.

I sometimes add a little milk (or cream as you say), but want you can't leave out it the butter - especially if you add additional liquid.

The timing of "lob" as you say agree is cruical - and we're talking seconds.

I have to have a dab of HP on the side.

When I first came to live in Brighton, I lived (with 30 other students) in a guest house in Kemp Town. We got breakfast cooked for us every day. The proprietor used to give his kitchen staff the day off on Sundays and he cooked the breakfasts.

Always scrambled eggs - made by mixing powdered egg with powdered milk and water, stirring until most of the evidence of the powder (but not all) had disappeared, leaving the resultant goo to go cold and semi-congealed in a pan. Help yourself. The toast was cold, too. And the margarine ... don't get me going about the margarine.

I say "semi-congealed", because there was always a quantity of water that used to flow out of the mixture into the toast or on to the plate. I think the purpose of this was to soften up the toast, which otherwise would have been as brittle as a cream cracker. (Although I guess we've all experienced soggy cream crackers - but that's another story).

For some reason, most of us preferred to have a Sunday morning hangover.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here