Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
We don't have to play Stoke City.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Interest from Premier League clubs in Gus won't have increased.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Not forgetting: We scored four at Anfield.

I think we all would have taken that this morning.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
....that we know we're not yet ready to compete in the PL !!! Give it another season at least :smile:

The players we have now will still not be good enough next season,the riches we get from promotion will buy the players we need to stay in the premiership, the difficult bit is being in the top 6 at the right time,which we are currently close to achieving.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
1) we won't have to play against a £60,000,000 strike force again this season
2) we won't have to play against 4 England internationals again
3) we realise we still have a long way to go
4) one of top priorities is a top goalkeeper, even it cost serious money
5) with the 2 M.City and West Brom players, we have plenty of opportunities to change
6) we have Gus who will certainly take something from this harsh lesson

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
5) with the 2 M.City and West Brom players, we have plenty of opportunities to change

Well summed up I think

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
The players we have now will still not be good enough next season,the riches we get from promotion will buy the players we need to stay in the premiership, the difficult bit is being in the top 6 at the right time,which we are currently close to achieving.
What the hell are you smoking ?
If you seriously think that promotion and the subsequent humiliation four weeks out of every six and probably relegation would be good for this club IMO you're seriously deluded. We'd be going backwards
This is real life - it ain't FIFA 12 or Football Manager or anything like that - you can't just press "reset" if you cock it up
The squad simply is not yet good enough - it may be next year, it may not but let's take time to evaluate, to learn from mistakes and to rectify those mistakes.
I sometimes despair for the manager of this football club as the weight of expectation seems to be so heavy and whatever he (whoever it may be) does it won't be right.
Let me ask you one simple question - would you prefer that your club was promoted, had a shit season and was relegated after one season and took another 5,10 15 years to achieve promotion again or would you prefer that the building was done relatively slowly so that when we got promoted to the Prem we were able to compete on a level playing field and stay there. No club has a divine right to be in the Premier League - you have to earn the right to play there

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As Gus said on the radio earlier today the supporters think we are good enough for The Premier but the players proved they aren't. If and when we go up he wants us to stay up and get better not become a yo yo club.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
What the hell are you smoking ?
If you seriously think that promotion and the subsequent humiliation four weeks out of every six and probably relegation would be good for this club IMO you're seriously deluded. We'd be going backwards
This is real life - it ain't FIFA 12 or Football Manager or anything like that - you can't just press "reset" if you cock it up
The squad simply is not yet good enough - it may be next year, it may not but let's take time to evaluate, to learn from mistakes and to rectify those mistakes.
I sometimes despair for the manager of this football club as the weight of expectation seems to be so heavy and whatever he (whoever it may be) does it won't be right.
Let me ask you one simple question - would you prefer that your club was promoted, had a shit season and was relegated after one season and took another 5,10 15 years to achieve promotion again or would you prefer that the building was done relatively slowly so that when we got promoted to the Prem we were able to compete on a level playing field and stay there. No club has a divine right to be in the Premier League - you have to earn the right to play there
You need to convince Gus and Tony with your ranting, they do not agree with you

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

At last some positivity, refreshing. :clap:

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
You need to convince Gus and Tony with your ranting, they do not agree with you

If you would care to read this article from talkSport published today I think you will find that Mr Poyet agrees with me rather than with you :

"Brighton and Hove Albion manager Gus Poyet reckons it would take big changes for his side to be ready for promotion to the Premier League, after Liverpool beat them 6-1 in the FA Cup.

The Seagulls sit ninth in the Championship, two points outside the play-offs, with many suggesting they could be dark horses for promotion.

But after being hammered at Anfield in the fifth round of the FA Cup, Poyet admitted his side were nowhere near ready for the step up and it would be hard for them to be a success in the top division of English football.

Poyet said: “I’ve been very honest with the press, especially from Brighton, for the last two or three months when they’ve been talking about promotion. I have said I want to be ready, I don’t want to come to Anfield and lose 6-1 and [we have proved] we’re not [ready].

“People think I am being negative, I think that maybe they will [now] say he was right.

“The best way to get to the Premier League is to be ready. When you’ve got strength, power, technical ability and understanding, then you can play in the Premier League.

“If not you should forget about playing in the top six [of the Championship] because you are going to suffer, not matter how many players you put behind the ball. It doesn’t matter if you play long or short. You’ve got to have quality and you need to defend.

“People are getting excited because we are doing alright but we are not ready. Of course I’m not going to lose three games [deliberately] not to go up. It will be a massive change if we do [get promoted].

“It would be fantastic for me as a manager but then we’d have to change completely and I mean big [changes] because I don’t want to play in the Premier League and lose 6-1.” "

Now reading between the lines I think that says - let's get better then go for it

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
As Gus said on the radio earlier today the supporters think we are good enough for The Premier but the players proved they aren't. If and when we go up he wants us to stay up and get better not become a yo yo club.

I won't argue the rights or wrongs but I can't believe Gus/Tony aren't going for it. They may not have started the season thinking that but the loan signings suggest to me it's not just about building for the long term but (in parallel) make an immediate push for the play off's (why else wait to sign the deal on Razak until the day it became possible to make the play off final?). If he was (just) building for the future and ignoring this year wouldn't he be blooding more youth and working on what we have already?

Realistically I don't think many expect us to do it and certainly not Gus but if he's presented it he'll take it and figure out the rest later. He'll play it down for sure, why invite ridicule? What he says publicly and what he thinks privately are quite possibly entirely different things

In response to Blue n White that's all fair comment but (maybe I'm being thick here) I think I'd rather go up, come down and start 2013-14 season with 3 years of parachute that nothing ... Blackpool have done pretty well out of it I reckon

Last edited:

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
If you would care to read this article from talkSport published today I think you will find that Mr Poyet agrees with me rather than with you :

"Brighton and Hove Albion manager Gus Poyet reckons it would take big changes for his side to be ready for promotion to the Premier League, after Liverpool beat them 6-1 in the FA Cup.

The Seagulls sit ninth in the Championship, two points outside the play-offs, with many suggesting they could be dark horses for promotion.

But after being hammered at Anfield in the fifth round of the FA Cup, Poyet admitted his side were nowhere near ready for the step up and it would be hard for them to be a success in the top division of English football.

Poyet said: “I’ve been very honest with the press, especially from Brighton, for the last two or three months when they’ve been talking about promotion. I have said I want to be ready, I don’t want to come to Anfield and lose 6-1 and [we have proved] we’re not [ready].

“People think I am being negative, I think that maybe they will [now] say he was right.

“The best way to get to the Premier League is to be ready. When you’ve got strength, power, technical ability and understanding, then you can play in the Premier League.

“If not you should forget about playing in the top six [of the Championship] because you are going to suffer, not matter how many players you put behind the ball. It doesn’t matter if you play long or short. You’ve got to have quality and you need to defend.

“People are getting excited because we are doing alright but we are not ready. Of course I’m not going to lose three games [deliberately] not to go up. It will be a massive change if we do [get promoted].

“It would be fantastic for me as a manager but then we’d have to change completely and I mean big [changes] because I don’t want to play in the Premier League and lose 6-1.” "

Now reading between the lines I think that says - let's get better then go for it

they are still going for it, yesterdays result was as much caused by poor tactics from Gus as poor defending from the team

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would think that they are going for the play offs but not expecting to get promoted. I think that Gus was saying was that if we make it there will be wholesale changes to the squad in the summer,

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
I would think that they are going for the play offs but not expecting to get promoted. I think that Gus was saying was that if we make it there will be wholesale changes to the squad in the summer,

Exactly what the promotion money would be used for , it will not come from anywhere else

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
I won't argue the rights or wrongs but I can't believe Gus/Tony aren't going for it. They may not have started the season thinking that but the loan signings suggest to me it's not just about building for the long term but (in parallel) make an immediate push for the play off's (why else wait to sign the deal on Razak until the day it became possible to make the play off final?). If he was (just) building for the future and ignoring this year wouldn't he be blooding more youth and working on what we have already?

Realistically I don't think many expect us to do it and certainly not Gus but if he's presented it he'll take it and figure out the rest later. He'll play it down for sure, why invite ridicule? What he says publicly and what he thinks privately are quite possibly entirely different things

In response to Blue n White that's all fair comment but (maybe I'm being thick here) I think I'd rather go up, come down and start 2013-14 season with 3 years of parachute that nothing ... Blackpool have done pretty well out of it I reckon

You quote Blackpool but Blue n White could qoute back at you Derby, Norwich, Sheffield Utd, Burnley, Watford & the list goes on even to include Palarce. We are too far behind where we need to be to survive in Prem plus the players who can perform in Prem will be picked off at a reduced price, making getting back up even harder.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here