Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Players who crossed the divide, and weren't hated ...

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Gary O'Reilly - Brighton and Palace. Neither side ever hated him did they?

Presumably, Denis Law is loved by both sides of Manchester as well. YEARS and so many goals at Utd, then City love him for scoring that cheeky backheel against Utd on the day they were relegated.

Who else?

bobby smith

Jan 20, 2011
WORTHING
Gary O'Reilly - Brighton and Palace. Neither side ever hated him did they?

Presumably, Denis Law is loved by both sides of Manchester as well. YEARS and so many goals at Utd, then City love him for scoring that cheeky backheel against Utd on the day they were relegated.

Who else?

He didnt celebrate it though, Top Man 4 that

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Mo Johnson - Rangers and Celtic

Simon Rodger - Brighton and Palace

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Probably need a Palace view from a fan of a certain age over Gary O'Reilly, but I remember him heading the winner for us against them at the Goldstone and he didn't get any special abuse that day from Palace's travelling 250 fans.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Mo Johnson - Rangers and Celtic
You reckon? Johnson was about to re-join Celtic when Rangers stole him from under their noses and became the first Kafflick to play for them in modern times.

I seem to recall the Celtic support absolutely HATING him from that point onwards.

I'll add Neil Smillie to the list. Seven years at Palace, quite liked here (and played in the cup final).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Probably need a Palace view from a fan of a certain age over Gary O'Reilly, but I remember him heading the winner for us against them at the Goldstone and he didn't get any special abuse that day from Palace's travelling 250 fans.
Indeed. An empty North Stand as I recall, as they were putting the roof on it.

Did Palace really have that many? Did their "ultras" come down? *snigger*

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Indeed. An empty North Stand as I recall, as they were putting the roof on it.

Did Palace really have that many? Did their "ultras" come down? *snigger*

Holmesdale Lunatics (c)

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Why would they give him any abuse!!!!

He hadn't played for them at that point. He went to them after playing for the Albion. I know he came back to play for us at the end of his career but the goal you talk about was in his first spell..

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Why would they give him any abuse!!!!

He hadn't played for them at that point. He went to them after playing for the Albion. I know he came back to play for us at the end of his career but the goal you talk about was in his first spell..

There's no place for that sort of knowledge on here, try brightonfans. Here we are enjoying a nostalgia-fest about a very enjoyable afternoon and you have to ruin it with some timeline issues. What's a few years here and there.

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon
Michael Laudrup played for Barcelona from 1991-1994 winning 4 league titles, then signed for Real Madrid the following season, helping them to win the league title. Still loved to both sets of fans. Was voted the 12th best footballer to play for Real in a list of all time greats.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Not a player, and possibly not the most antagonistic rivalry that immediately springs to mind, but Brian Clough, Derby - Forest. Didn't directly cross the divide either come to think of it. But ah well.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Pat Jennings - A legend at both Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur
pat_jennings.jpg
-Images-j-jennings_pat.jpg

So much so that BOTH clubs gave him a testimonial match (Well, arsenal's marked his retirement from the game)
06803.jpg

Tottenham-Arsenal-23.11.76-PatJenningsTestimonial-L.jpg

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Gary Williams, Brighton and Palace

Stan Cummins Middlesboro and Sunderland

Justin Fashanu, Nottingham Forest and Notts Co

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports