Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Players to have earpieces? Do me a favour!

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Scotland manager Berti Vogts has added his support to the possibility of players wearing ear-pieces to communicate with the dug-out.

Fifa have confirmed that the use of communications equipment during a football match will be discussed at the meeting of the International Football Association Board next month.

Vogts believes the system should be tested to help the game move forward.

He told the Daily Record: "When you watch American Football, you can see how it operates with the quarterback being given instructions through an earpiece in his helmet.

"With this system, a manager could change the positions of his players very quickly and give individual or team instructions.

"I think this is worth looking at more closely to see if it would help the game. I believe we should always be trying to move forward."

Dunfermline manager Jimmy Calderwood has already tested the system with his under-21 and under-17 games.

He said: "I was sceptical at first because I've got a big enough mouth anyway.

"But, when you are away to Celtic or Rangers, it can be difficult to communicate with players.

"Using this new system, I can talk to the players and make instant changes without the instructions passed on along a line of players.

"We're going to try it again because I think anything that might help the game should be investigated. We are all always looking for an advantage."

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
crikey! next it'll be night-vision goggles for when the floodlights fail!

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
They experimented with these earpieces at a Club Brugge game and they had to abandon it halfway through the game. The earpiece kept picking up mobile phone transmissions which was more than a little disconcerting for the goalie!

Nov 3, 2003
wot a complete pile of $%&* that happens and the game is ruined for good just like stupid ideas of widenning the goals , why mess with a game thats given years of joy and proven to work as it is rather they messed with stupid decision like player leaves field for treatmenhts waits a lifetime b4 ref signals him back on

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
Re: Re: Players to have earpieces? Do me a favour!

hiney said:
Do they have to keep pulling their shorts down?

What a stupid idea

Very good Hiney, first time in a long while I've laughed out loud at NSC :lolol:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
We could probably find out the frequecy they use and give opposing goalkeepers some abuse.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Endless possibilities...

Scottish voice crackles through from dug out:

"Charlie? Charlie! CHARLIE! Oatway, you twat, you stay away from that corner flag right now, if I see you screw up another corner by going short, you are dropped FOREVER, do you hear me?"

"Dugout to Watto! Watto! Don't keep backing off him, you idiot, or he'll cut right through our defence and curl a shot round the despairing dive of our goalkee....oh bugger"

"Right Guy, so that's one medium stuffed crust margherita with extra peppers, mushrooms and spicy sausage, easy on the anchovies, to be delivered to the dressing room at approximately 3:45 ok? Don't panic, it's all sorted, now get back to defending the corner"

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
edna krabappel said:
Endless possibilities...

Scottish voice crackles through from dug out:

"Charlie? Charlie! CHARLIE! Oatway, you twat, you stay away from that corner flag right now, if I see you screw up another corner by going short, you are dropped FOREVER, do you hear me?"

"Dugout to Watto! Watto! Don't keep backing off him, you idiot, or he'll cut right through our defence and curl a shot round the despairing dive of our goalkee....oh bugger"

"Right Guy, so that's one medium stuffed crust margherita with extra peppers, mushrooms and spicy sausage, easy on the anchovies, to be delivered to the dressing room at approximately 3:45 ok? Don't panic, it's all sorted, now get back to defending the corner"

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
"Here we go then Kerry, just like we practised in training, right? Control, look up, pass to feet of men in blue and white stripes".

A few seconds pause....

*sighs* "OK, don't worry son, it's only a throw in, keep your head up. We'll just have to wait until you get the ball back off them again. And be more careful with those people in Row R next time please".

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
What would the hairdryer treatment be like through an earpiece? Doesn't bear thinking about!

No doubt in 20 years time there will be legal actions from players going deaf

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
it sounds totally inpratical to me! with American football shiyte they wear helmets - the earpices are fixed and wont fall out. if a footballer heads the ball - wont it fall out?? You can imagine it - the whole game players constantly putting their earpieces in!!

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
ben andrews girlfriend said:
it sounds totally inpratical to me! with American football shiyte they wear helmets - the earpices are fixed and wont fall out. if a footballer heads the ball - wont it fall out?? You can imagine it - the whole game players constantly putting their earpieces in!!

I agree completely. It's going to be tricky to come up with a system that will stay in through out the whole match and not cause any risk to the player. The only really practical way would be to give players helmets of some sort :nono: Perhaps a head band type thing that goes over the ears???
Another problem would be what happens when Man U with their fancy hi-tech communication system face Yeovil Town in the FA Cup? Unfair advantage?

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
*crackle, crackle* " alpha four charley hgsftsht phriminal on the London ccccckkkkkkkccccckkkk ten four copy Taxi for Mrs Warbuoy cccccrrkkkkk *crackle, crackle* Roberts boot it you Cccckkkkk *crackle* Rubber Duck we have a convoy on the A271 join us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here