Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

player wages

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
from the bbc website
"Chelsea captain John Terry is set to become the highest-paid British player of all time when he finalises a new four-year deal worth £27m with team-mate Frank Lampard also set to be offered a £130,000-a-week deal."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/6140730.stm

what the hell is a over rated centre back doing getting that sort of money. Its plain stupid

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
over rated,not sure on that,but as for wages:angry: ,getting out of control

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
empire said:
over rated,not sure on that,but as for wages:angry: ,getting out of control

It is supply and demand, if your employer offered you a huge pay rise you would not complain would you?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its agents. they get a cut so its in thier interests to get more moeny. They whisper in the players ear that they can have more and more, then the player expects. I honestly beleive most (though not all) players at Chelsea, Man U and the others would happily play for a grand a week if thats what the market rate was.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
high ticket prices, merchanising (replica shirts especially), sky tv money, corporate sponsorship, all go into the mix.

i have a dream- tgat the fans have the power to get prices lowered, by boycotting the high paid / ticket price teams, as they dont seem to give a toss about joe public anymore- just the bottom line.

its a game- not heart surgery ffs.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
El Presidente said:
It is supply and demand, if your employer offered you a huge pay rise you would not complain would you?

supply and demand? What do you mean? It's not as though there is a market for John Terry. Where is the competition which has driven his wages up to 130k a week?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Tubthumper said:
supply and demand? What do you mean? It's not as though there is a market for John Terry. Where is the competition which has driven his wages up to 130k a week?

The competition from the fact that Michael Ballack is on that already, and Terry has a clause in his contract that ensures he matches the highest paid player at the club.

Stumpy Tim

Tubthumper said:

Yes there is a market for John Terry.... I'm sure Barcelona or Real Madrid would be willing to pay him high wages, so Chelsea are safeguarding against that. It's just a damnation on society that he earns 200 times a Nurse

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's only perceived interest, Barca seem to have got by without John Terry for the past few seasons. Given English players history of flopping abroad, language problems etc I'm sure they would both go for someone else if they did need a centre-half. Mainland european teams dont really go for the British Bulldog type of player, they tend to go for intelligence and skill over graft and die-hard attitude.

Stumpy Tim

Tubthumper said:
It's only perceived interest, Barca seem to have got by without John Terry for the past few seasons. Given English players history of flopping abroad, language problems etc I'm sure they would both go for someone else if they did need a centre-half. Mainland european teams dont really go for the British Bulldog type of player, they tend to go for intelligence and skill over graft and die-hard attitude.
So why did Real buy players like Woodgate & Gravesen? Either way, Man Utd, Arsenal & Liverpool would all pay big money for John Terry. I remember Terry almost left Chelsea just before the Russian arrived with his cash... and he was going to Arsenal. So there most definitely is a market for John Terry

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Terry is already on very good money at Chelsea.

I doubt very much he'd want to move.

But hey! it's only pin money for Abramovich!

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
£130,00 a week is an absolute disgrace for the type of job that they do.

It requires no brains or qualifications whatsoever. You can either play football or you can't, its as simple as that. You dont need a degree or special knowledge, anyone can play.

What about Doctors, Nurses, Teachers, Engineers these are the type of people that are worth £130,000 a week.

Trouble with these players is that they get their arses licked 24/7 by stupid supporters.

But as soon as they get any critism they start crying about it becuase they dont live in the real world and have no clue about what people have to live on day to day. Even then they still have no respect and think the world owes them a f***ing living.

Too much fuss is made out of them end off.

As Alan Sugar said “biggest scum on the planet” and that most of them would be in jail if they weren’t playing soccer.

He's got it in one.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I do think players should earn decent money as a lot of them have to make sacrifices to reach the level they do and their careers last 15-20 years if they're lucky but at the moment it is obscene.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Les Biehn said:
I do think players should earn decent money as a lot of them have to make sacrifices to reach the level they do and their careers last 15-20 years if they're lucky but at the moment it is obscene.

A cyclists career is even shorter, but they will never ever see £130,000 grand a week as a professional cyclist, Even Lance Armstong or Jan Ulrich never earnt this sort of money and they worked 50 times harder.

I agree that there career only last 20 years, and I also agree £130,00 grand a week is too much. Compared to other sportsmen and women they dont know what side their bread is buttered.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
adrian29uk said:
It requires no brains or qualifications whatsoever. You can either play football or you can't, its as simple as that. You dont need a degree or special knowledge, anyone can play.

What about Doctors, Nurses, Teachers, Engineers these are the type of people that are worth £130,000 a week.

actually, you've managed to highlight why sportsman in general get more money than "mundane" jobs in society. They can play football/golf/drive very fast safely, whilst many cant. anyone can train and get a qualification in nursing or teaching, if so inclined to do so. Its more of a reflection of society which one we value more.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
adrian29uk said:
A cyclists career is even shorter, but they will never ever see £130,000 grand a week as a professional cyclist, Even Lance Armstong or Jan Ulrich never earnt this sort of money and they worked 50 times harder.

I agree that there career only last 20 years, and I also agree £130,00 grand a week is too much. Compared to other sportsmen and women they dont know what side their bread is buttered.

Wasn't really sticking up for them, just making the point that their career choice means that they can't really be compared very fairly to us average folk.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
adrian29uk said:
I know you where not sticking up for them. If my message appeared rude I am sorry. :bowdown:

Not rude at all mate, just felt like you hadn't completely got where I was coming from.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here