Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player Ratings vs Norwich (h)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Poor v Everton, excellent v Norwich, otherwise very consistent ?

9cf60260ab22c3d468b579e0ff42c4cd.jpg
Yep that's how I see it and have consistently said the same.

He was bought to score goals in football matches, not run the 10,000 metres.

No, he was bought to play as a forward in a modern football team meaning "shooting" and "scoring" is just a small part of his job. To take runs, creating spaces and chances for other players, backtrack defensively and put pressure high up in the pitch, because all of these things contribute to taking points and Maupay is excellent in most of these aspects. If finishing was everything needed from a striker we could just have gone with Alan Shearer or Les Ferdinand.
Apologies for the flippancy of that last comment; I wouldn't have made it had I known you were qualified.
In the light of this, I now feel obliged to watch the whole match again but this time, concentrating on Mr Maupay's contribution to the win.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not sure where you sit but during the first half he was not pushing forward enough and kept bringing the ball back. If he is going to play wingback he needs to go forward and cross. Second half he was better.

From that you seem to be implying either:-

Monty didn't carry out his instructions from Potter correctly.
Or
He did but Potters instructions were wrong.

My bone of contention through all the negativity that has been written after Saturday's emphatic 2-0 victory is, why is there negativity?

- The Albion won 2-0
- The opposition didn't have a single shot on target.
- The Albion's shots/accuracy/goals are strikingly similar to that of City/Liverpool/Chelsea.
- The conditions were awful.
- The game plan required a big change, early. (directly affecting Montoya)

Those cold hard facts alone, in my mind, should instantly exclude any Albion player from being "poor".

None of the above happens if:-

Maupay is Championship at best.
Alzate doesn't look up and can't shoot.
Propper kept giving the ball away.
Gross is too slow.
&
Montoya was "poor".

I'm not talking specifically about you now Wardy, but

Some of our fans seem to have completely forgotten just how shitehouse we were.
They have no concept of the fact we could well be that shitehouse again.
If that were to happen, the first thing the negative Nery's will be doing is harking back to that time when we beat Spurs, Everton & Norwich saying words to the effect of 'why aren't we still that good'?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Great stats according to me.

Now... I "only" have the UEFA B coaching license and have never worked in a professional club, but I know in the "modern" upbringing of new coaches, the role of the forward and how it has changed the last 20 years is one of the most discussed topics.

The 2000's have seen a great rise in goals scored by players in other positions, especially wingers and central midfielders. A new type of total football. And teams signing strikers etc only looking at how many goals they've scored is just becoming a type of small team behaviour, because it really only works if your game revolves around counter-attacks or if you play in a league where there is a lot of space (like Eredivisie).

I think Maupay brings a lot that modern type managers want in their strikers; work ethic, intuition about creating spaces for others and the technical ability to keep the ball the extra second while other players make their runs. The Benzema kind of player.

That said, of course Maupay could or even should have done more with his chances. I agree with that. But I think it will come because its not about a lack of skill, he is just not totally adjusted to playing in the Premier League and seems to get a bit stressed in finishing situations. But I think it will come, I'm sure he'll score a dozen this season.

He’s still young and developing.........I imagine he’s being very well coached, and he’s got a very good guy in the squad to learn from who I’m sure will be helping. Appears to me he mainly needs to develop a bit more composure - this will come I’m sure. Can see him getting 15+ goals this season which for a first season in the prem would be a decent return.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Ryan - 7 - Easiest game of the season. Used the ball well.

Montoya - 6 - Typical performance. Some decent stuff, interplay especially, suspect defensively and crossing isn't the best.
Dunk - 8.5 - Dominated his man and controlled the defence imperiously.
Webster - 7 - Played well until the injury.
Burn - 7 - Not a great deal to do defensively, made some of his forward runs too.

Stephens - 8 - Another excellent performance, protected the back four and passed the ball progressively throughout.
Propper - 8 - Strange game. Thought he was poor for an hour and fantastic for the last 30 mins as Trossard came on and the game opened up.
Groß - 6 - Not his best today but put a shift in as always.
Alzate - 7 - This is going to be some player. Looks at home at this level already and will only improve from here. Will be a team leader in years to come.

Connolly - 7 - Worked tirelessly, but didn't see a lot of the ball inside the box. Ran channels well and still improving.
Maupay - 6 - Mixed bag. Movement was very good especially 1st half but missed chances and needs to get his head up at times. Early days though..

Duffy - 8 - Came on and fitted into the defence like he'd never been away. Goal too. Excelle
Trossard - 8.5 - Game changed with his introduction. Movement, delivery, and great link play. Has made a very good start to his Albion career.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Ryan - 7 - Easiest game of the season. Used the ball well.

Montoya - 6 - Typical performance. Some decent stuff, interplay especially, suspect defensively and crossing isn't the best.
Dunk - 8.5 - Dominated his man and controlled the defence imperiously.
Webster - 7 - Played well until the injury.
Burn - 7 - Not a great deal to do defensively, made some of his forward runs too.

Stephens - 8 - Another excellent performance, protected the back four and passed the ball progressively throughout.
Propper - 8 - Strange game. Thought he was poor for an hour and fantastic for the last 30 mins as Trossard came on and the game opened up.
Groß - 6 - Not his best today but put a shift in as always.
Alzate - 7 - This is going to be some player. Looks at home at this level already and will only improve from here. Will be a team leader in years to come.

Connolly - 7 - Worked tirelessly, but didn't see a lot of the ball inside the box. Ran channels well and still improving.
Maupay - 6 - Mixed bag. Movement was very good especially 1st half but missed chances and needs to get his head up at times. Early days though..

Duffy - 8 - Came on and fitted into the defence like he'd never been away. Goal too. Excellent
Trossard - 8.5 - Game changed with his introduction. Movement, delivery, and great link play. Has made a very good start to his Albion career.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Or

My bone of contention through all the negativity that has been written after Saturday's emphatic 2-0 victory is, why is there negativity?

- The Albion won 2-0
- The Albion's shots/accuracy/goals are strikingly similar to that of City/Liverpool/Chelsea.

Those cold hard facts alone, in my mind, should instantly exclude any Albion player from being "poor".

Gross is too slow.
&
Montoya was "poor".

If that were to happen, the first thing the negative Nery's will be doing is harking back to that time when we beat Spurs, Everton & Norwich saying words to the effect of 'why aren't we still that good'?

I think we are in a brilliant place , the football is great and we are now bringing on the youngsters. The difference is astounding with more football played in a single game than the whole of the last six months under CH. We now have a manager whose football ethos is so positive. The game against Spurs was unbelievable and it wasn't because they were just poor we played brilliantly and to be fair had played well and deserved more in terms of results , greedy? don't think so statement of reality as I saw it.

On Saturday I thought Montoya did not push forward enough , second half he was a lot better. He was frustrating because the space and opportunity was there and he was not using it. We really needed Bruno.It might have been instructions because their strongest player was opposite him but on the face of it , it did not look good. Equally in this thread he was being compared against Dunk & Proper ,the former was immense , did not put a foot wrong and made 2 world class tackles. Proper was also fantastic, breaking up play and coming forward and IMO Montoya did not match either. All a game of opinions and perhaps poor was not the right word , not sure what would be though.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Apologies for the flippancy of that last comment; I wouldn't have made it had I known you were qualified.
In the light of this, I now feel obliged to watch the whole match again but this time, concentrating on Mr Maupay's contribution to the win.

In fairness Sterling got dog’s abuse from some England fans because he wasn’t scoring during the World Cup. What those fans missed was the space he made for others by dragging defenders away from other England players as they were shitting themselves about him running at them. He had a great WC but quite a few thought he was crap...because he wasn’t scoring.

Maupay definitely brings more than goals imo.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Cant understand negativity about Montoya. The wide player he was up against was far and away there best attacker. He very rarely got past him and when game opened up Montoya was able to get forward more. Unless you are Liverpool Man City who think they can score anytime would think all managers including Potter put emphasis on not letting in goal in first 20/30mins

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

Or

- The Albion won 2-0

Gross is too slow.
&
Montoya was "poor".

So what you are saying is that we cannot be critical after a win then? Could Connolley and Maupay be on a better wavelength? Could Maupay be more clinical? Could Propper have done better with the first 3 crosses he shoved in the crowd? Should we have put more past a bang average Norwich team?

That's not to say that the players are shit, championship at best or didn't even play well. They did. There were aspects of thier game that can be improved and ones that the coaching staff will be undoubtedly working on to do so. Given the youth of Connolley and Alzate most fans even expect them to be a bit hit and miss. Why can we only dissect this after a loss? If it was perfect, we'd be up there with Liverpool and City.

Incidentally, I'm curious why we have to say positive only comments after a win but its fine for you to refer to someone whose scored over 100 goals for the club constantly as 'Murray offside'

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So what you are saying is that we cannot be critical after a win then? Could Connolley and Maupay be on a better wavelength? Could Maupay be more clinical? Could Propper have done better with the first 3 crosses he shoved in the crowd? Should we have put more past a bang average Norwich team?

That's not to say that the players are shit, championship at best or didn't even play well. They did. There were aspects of thier game that can be improved and ones that the coaching staff will be undoubtedly working on to do so. Given the youth of Connolley and Alzate most fans even expect them to be a bit hit and miss. Why can we only dissect this after a loss? If it was perfect, we'd be up there with Liverpool and City.

Incidentally, I'm curious why we have to say positive only comments after a win but its fine for you to refer to someone whose scored over 100 goals for the club constantly as 'Murray offside'
I dunno, it just feels all a bit 'why bother?'.

Which in turn has somehow managed to get under my skin and on my tits.

I said elsewhere we came home on Saturday and I wanted to devour more football, so I mistakenly put 606 on.
So there I am on an Albion high, listening to a bunch of apoplectic, 3 loss, Arsenal fans, demanding the manager and most of the players be sacked.
While reading some, similar veined, negativity about a game that an hour earlier had me, breathless, ecstatic, amazed and happy so very very happy.

I've had 4 decades of trudging away from Albion games, around the country, in every division, every cup, wondering, fook knows how many times, 'why am I bothering?'

So I guess when that question is answered - IN 3 CONSECUTIVE HOME GAMES - I'm somewhat irrationally annoyed that my brethren don't feel the same.

While also being scared that we will all just end up as entitled Arsenal fans, who have no idea what poor football actually looks like.

I do know I've bought it on myself and I should do better.
But I can't guarantee I will, if we dry hump Leicester in 2 weeks time and someone still posts 'what's the point of Alzate - MotM what a joke'.

Last edited:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I dunno, it just feels all a bit 'why bother?'.

Which in turn has somehow managed to get under my skin and on my tits.

I said elsewhere we came home on Saturday and I wanted to devour more football, so I mistakenly put 606 on.
So there I am on an Albion high, listening to a bunch of apoplectic, 3 loss, Arsenal fans, demanding the manager and most of the players be sacked.
While reading some, similar veined, negativity about a game that an hour earlier had me, breathless, ecstatic, amazed and happy so very very happy.

I've had 4 decades of trudging away from Albion games, around the country, in every division, every cup, wondering, fook knows how many times, 'why am I bothering?'

So I guess when that question is answered - IN 3 CONSECUTIVE HOME GAMES - I'm somewhat irrationally annoyed that my brethren don't feel the same.

While also being scared that we will all just end up as entitled Arsenal fans, who have no idea what poor football actually looks like.

I do know I've bought it on myself and I should do better.
But I can't guarantee I will, if we dry hump Leicester in 2 weeks time and someone still posts 'what's the point of Alzate - MotM what a joke'.

I've been to Carlisle and watched us be 3-0 down in the first half. Less than a 100 fans at Walsall away in the paint pot trophy. I think we lost 5-0. Watched Jake livermore put in the worst full back performance I've ever seen again at Walsall. Those lows make the highs higher but it doesn't mean they can't be better as long as you aren't one of those twots shouting abuse at players at the game but instead have a measured opinion on here. For example, you be hard pressed to say Maupay isn't an upgrade on Murray apart from one area. Being clinical. If we'd had Benteke up front last year we probably wouldn't notice.

That said, you deserve all you get listening to 606. I gave up with radio phone ins when I heard a Man utd fan ring up to complain when they'd won 4-1 in the Champions league.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've been to Carlisle and watched us be 3-0 down in the first half. Less than a 100 fans at Walsall away in the paint pot trophy. I think we lost 5-0. Watched Jake livermore put in the worst full back performance I've ever seen again at Walsall. Those lows make the highs higher but it doesn't mean they can't be better as long as you aren't one of those twots shouting abuse at players at the game but instead have a measured opinion on here. For example, you be hard pressed to say Maupay isn't an upgrade on Murray apart from one area. Being clinical. If we'd had Benteke up front last year we probably wouldn't notice.

That said, you deserve all you get listening to 606. I gave up with radio phone ins when I heard a Man utd fan ring up to complain when they'd won 4-1 in the Champions league.

Yeah we've all got them.
I always reference Elm Park in the early 90's, I was also at Kingstonian, whole seasons at The Goldstone.
Let's not forget a fair few games earlier this year, or getting out fought by Danny freakin Shitu

Within my blithering I rather dismissively labelled the critical eye comments as 'Tuesday thinking'.
I know that's twaddle but it's hearts in the right place along the lines of 'come on chaps, just enjoy the Albion, at least for an evening'.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Yeah we've all got them.
I always reference Elm Park in the early 90's, I was also at Kingstonian, whole seasons at The Goldstone.
Let's not forget a fair few games earlier this year, or getting out fought by Danny freakin Shitu

Within my blithering I rather dismissively labelled the critical eye comments as 'Tuesday thinking'.
I know that's twaddle but it's hearts in the right place along the lines of 'come on chaps, just enjoy the Albion, at least for an evening'.

Danny Shitu cleaned my mates wife out break dancing - accidentally - at a wedding I was once at. We did joke he'd have missed if he'd meant it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

*cough* David Livermore

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Poor v Everton, excellent v Norwich, otherwise very consistent ?

I'd almost agree with that, except he was beyond 'poor' in the Everton game, and was also poor at Villa, in a game that he was incredibly fortunate not to receive a second yellow, leaving us with nine men.

Terrific against Norwich though. Comfortably IMO his best performance to date.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'd almost agree with that, except he was beyond 'poor' in the Everton game, and was also poor at Villa, in a game that he was incredibly fortunate not to receive a second yellow, leaving us with nine men.

Terrific against Norwich though. Comfortably IMO his best performance to date.

Agreed....my post was a summary of the stats.......not a view [emoji6]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here