Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player Ratings v Watford away

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Anyone? Hopefully, since it's the next morning the immediate disappointment has faded somewhat and ratings will be a little fairer.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Ratings are all void - all the outfield players were all incredibly shit

lethaldrizzle

Apr 30, 2007
South East London
Harper, Vincelot, Painter - 6
Calde, Tano - 5
Sparrow - 4
Noone, CMS, Paynter, Harley, Greer - 3

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Billy Paynter never jumped and was a big disappointment.
I didn't realise Harley was playing until the end of the first half.
I thought Calde played alright.
Tano was the only capable of using the ball efficiently and was our best player. Given that he's pushing 40 that's worrying in itself.
The whole system of how we play doesn't work - it's a big challenge for the manager.

lethaldrizzle

Apr 30, 2007
South East London
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;4489813 said:
Painter 6??????????

Thought that might raise an eyebrow or two but I thought he did quite well in a really difficult role (i.e. running the whole left-flank on his own with little or no support). Was solid at the back and even if he didn't create anything he didn't waste possession with hopeless long balls and crossesanywhere near as often as Greer/Noone/Sparrow/Harley

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Harper 5 - didn't really have much to do, and what he did do (distribution and attempt to save the scuffed shot that led to their goal), he didn't do very well.

Painter 6 - okay performance. Solid enough, and did his best to push on, second half.

Greer 5 - no real drama at the back. Too many (poor) long balls.

Calderon 5 - as Greer. Both consistently beaten in the air by Iwelumo.

Tarrico 7 - very good. Couple of outstanding defensive headers, for a little chap. Love how the oppo always HATE him.

Vincelot 6 - was struggling a bit at RB, which is why Gus did the swap around when Bridcutt went off, rather than the straight swap for Navarro. Did well in CM though, albeit without doing anything creative. Terrific in the air.

Sparrow 5 - industrious. Solid enough but nothing going forward last night.

Harley 4 - not quite his worst Albion performance, but close. Players lacking in energy and apparent commitment are tolerated by the fans if they add something in terms of technique and creativity. He didn't. Even his set pieces were shocking.

Noone 5 - this probably seems harsh, as he did have our only two shots at goal in the whole game, but hear me out. Literally EVERY time we got the ball to Noone last night, he gave it away. Admittedly he didn't give it straight back to them. What he did, is run with it, sometimes beat his man, and THEN give it back to them. When he did beat his man, he cut back and tried to beat him twice more, rather than putting a decent cross in. A couple of times first half the defender stood him up, whilst Noone cut back and forth three times, before eventually falling over / slicing it into touch / underhitting a cross to the first defender. I'm a big Noone fan normally too, but last night he took the wrong option time after time and it was ANNOYING.

Paynter 4 - needs to watch a video of last night's game, and study Iwelumo, to see what he is supposed to be doing for us.

CMS 4 - pointless him being there, other than as sombody for Nosworthy to bully out of the game. No point playing him at all, if we are going to waste his talents like that.

Not great.

lethaldrizzle

Apr 30, 2007
South East London
Noone 5 - this probably seems harsh, as he did have our only two shots at goal in the whole game, but hear me out. Literally EVERY time we got the ball to Noone last night, he gave it away. Admittedly he didn't give it straight back to them. What he did, is run with it, sometimes beat his man, and THEN give it back to them. When he did beat his man, he cut back and tried to beat him twice more, rather than putting a decent cross in. A couple of times first half the defender stood him up, whilst Noone cut back and forth three times, before eventually falling over / slicing it into touch / underhitting a cross to the first defender. I'm a big Noone fan normally too, but last night he took the wrong option time after time and it was ANNOYING.
I don't think a single one of his corners beat the first man either. It was like having Dean Cox back again. Can't understand why no-one else stepped up to take them - isn't Harley supposed to be decent at set-pieces?

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
I don't think a single one of his corners beat the first man either. It was like having Dean Cox back again. Can't understand why no-one else stepped up to take them - isn't Harley supposed to be decent at set-pieces?

I knew someone would mention this comparison to Dean Cox and it really does my nut!

What people don't seem to realise is that set piece takers get TOLD where to put the ball, they take the corners/free kicks because, more times than most other players, they can put the ball where the manager/coaching staff want the ball to land. Poyet and co always look for the corners to go low(ish) and hard to the near post for greer or another to flick past the first man. If Noone is told, 'hit the near post' and the man on that post heads it away you can bet than it is probably NOT Noone's fault, Greer/another should have attacked the ball and won the flick into the box. If Noone was instructed to chip the ball to the far post I'm sure he would. Our set pieces have been woeful but the blame does NOT lie solely with Craig Noone.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Average Match Rating (5 Ratings)

Harper 5.20
Taricco 5.00
Vincelot 5.00
Painter 4.80
Calderon 4.20
Sparrow 3.80
Noone 3.40
Greer 3.20
Mackail-Smith 3.20
Paynter 3.20
Harley 3.00

Sub (2 ratings)
Barnes 2.50

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
I knew someone would mention this comparison to Dean Cox and it really does my nut!

What people don't seem to realise is that set piece takers get TOLD where to put the ball, they take the corners/free kicks because, more times than most other players, they can put the ball where the manager/coaching staff want the ball to land. Poyet and co always look for the corners to go low(ish) and hard to the near post for greer or another to flick past the first man. If Noone is told, 'hit the near post' and the man on that post heads it away you can bet than it is probably NOT Noone's fault, Greer/another should have attacked the ball and won the flick into the box. If Noone was instructed to chip the ball to the far post I'm sure he would. Our set pieces have been woeful but the blame does NOT lie solely with Craig Noone.

What a load of TOSH! :lolol: So you're suggesting that in training Gus says to Nooney and Harley: "I know you can whip in dangerous crosses towards our players, but instead of that I'd like you to kick every corner against the nearest defender, and whatever you do, please don't vary your approach".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here