Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player of the season? Very tricky decision

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I chose mine a few weeks back and I'm not going to let a moody game - his FIRST this season - in defence last night change it. Take a bow, Adam. :bowdown:

And he's not someone who I consider to be 'the most improved' either. That accolade I would pass on to Glenn Murray.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I can't believe Greer gets so few mentions given how much our season has depended on him.

But my vote is going to Murray, not for his goals but his all-round play and his improved attitude. I wish him good luck wherever he ends up; he has been a pleasure to watch.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'd go for Painter. Never has a bad game, hardly ever puts a foot wrong. Rock solid in defence, effective going forward.

But, as others have said, it could go to any number of people and I wouldn't have any complaints

cyanide-sid

May 20, 2010
Worthing
Just not that simple though is it. Of course he has been superb, but should player of the season always by default be the man who has scored most?

I don`t think it generally is TRHK. Peter Ward did not get the accolade when he broke the Albion scoring records, that honour went to Nobby Horton who ran the midfield that season.
I always think the fans go for the "100 per center" and thats why El Abd might just get in ahead of Murray this season.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don`t think it generally is TRHK. Peter Ward did not get the accolade when he broke the Albion scoring records, that honour went to Nobby Horton who ran the midfield that season.
I always think the fans go for the "100 per center" and thats why El Abd might just get in ahead of Murray this season.

In fact, strikers very rarely get the award. Peter Ward, Kit Napier, Ken Beamish, Mike Small to name a few, never won the award. There have been about 40 players of the season and I doubt if half of them have been strikers

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Such a tough call.

ANKERGREN over the last few weeks has been immense and love 'em or hate 'em his antics in holding the ball and delaying play have become one of the defining symbols of our season

CALDERON hasn't been as explosive in his impact but seven goals from a full back! Exceptional

GREER you know how influential he is when he is missing and how many centre backs can thread a forty yard pass to feet.........?

EL ABD not just most improved but most effective. he must have made more tackles and more blocks than anyone and considering he is one of the smaller centre backs in the league how many times have you seen him outjumped?

PAINTER model of consistency but more than that he has been consistently excellent and in recent weeks has added a more positive intent, spending more and more time in the opponents' half and putting in some great crosses

BRIDCUTT an absolute revelation. Started out producing good displays followed by games where he disappeared, just as you would expect given his inexperience. But as the season has progressed and the games became more critical he has become immense. Effective in defence and as a midfield spoiler and a good eye for a pass whether from deep or further forward. Then add two of the most crucial but also two of the best strikes of the season. What a find!

DICKER overshadowed but no less important. He began the season expected to be overtaken by Sparrow in the pecking order but has made the place in centre midfield his own. Able to turn with the ball and find space like no-one else and his working of set pieces with Bennett has created so many goals. If he was confident to shoot more often he would be a serious contender.

BENNETT stand-out player in the first half of the season (LuaLua included) with 20-odd assists. Switching more centrally and being the focus of Norwich's attentions probably didn't help him but watching him in recent weeks he is quietly emerging as a better all-round footballer with confidence to make his own decisions in all areas of the pitch. His importance as a defender allowing the full backs to get forward is also crucial - he has energy to burn and then some.

BARNES last season's cameo showed promise and although some criticised him for being wasteful he is close to the golden 20 goal mark. Scored some great goals and some important goals and when they haven't gone in his head has never dropped. Works deep. Works wide. Works off Murray's shoulder. If this, still very young, man keeps progressing as he has this season we have a genuine multi-million pound talent on our hands.

MURRAY what is not to like. Scored some great goals and scored some duffers but when everyone was looking for a 20 goal striker he hit the target. Wins almost every header he goes for - holds it up and lays it off - wins penalties for fun (10 at least this season by my count) covers more ground than any forward I have seen at this level and has become one of the best defenders of set pieces at the club. If he could head the ball under the bar more often and if he could take penalties he would be leading the goalscoring charts by the same sort of distance that we are winning the league.

All that plus LuaLua (scared the life out of everyone he faced until they broke his leg) Noone (some great cameos to show what is to come) Wood (solved our penalty crisis).........................................

What a season. What a choice. Given that our success has ultimately been built on the stinginess of our defence, if I'd had to pick someone up to January/February it would probably have been elAbd (although seeing the mess we were in on Tuesday I might switch to Greer as the stand-out influence - if not performer - in defence). However, watching Murray score the goals to take us up AND become one of our best defenders I was finally persuaded by his performance at Oldham where he literally ran himself into the ground that this is a man who is giving everything for the cause.

So for me - Player of the Season is GLENN MURRAY..............(just!)

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Painter

The left back spot has become a bit of a poisioned chalice since Mayo in his pomp (and Chappers before him) hung up their boots.

Strikers, goalkeepers, midfields, centre backs, right backs two a penny. But not left back.

So Painter, plus he hasnt fluttered his eylids elsewhere like Calderon, Bennett and probably now Murray. I understand their reasons but Painter is OURS.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Anyone could get it to be honest, there's not one player in the starting 11 who hasn't got a reason why they shouldn't win it.

This statement actually means none of our players deserve to be player of the season :lol:

Murray for PoS. :albion1:

Such a tough call.

ANKERGREN over the last few weeks has been immense and love 'em or hate 'em his antics in holding the ball and delaying play have become one of the defining symbols of our season

CALDERON hasn't been as explosive in his impact but seven goals from a full back! Exceptional

GREER you know how influential he is when he is missing and how many centre backs can thread a forty yard pass to feet.........?

EL ABD not just most improved but most effective. he must have made more tackles and more blocks than anyone and considering he is one of the smaller centre backs in the league how many times have you seen him outjumped?

PAINTER model of consistency but more than that he has been consistently excellent and in recent weeks has added a more positive intent, spending more and more time in the opponents' half and putting in some great crosses

BRIDCUTT an absolute revelation. Started out producing good displays followed by games where he disappeared, just as you would expect given his inexperience. But as the season has progressed and the games became more critical he has become immense. Effective in defence and as a midfield spoiler and a good eye for a pass whether from deep or further forward. Then add two of the most crucial but also two of the best strikes of the season. What a find!

DICKER overshadowed but no less important. He began the season expected to be overtaken by Sparrow in the pecking order but has made the place in centre midfield his own. Able to turn with the ball and find space like no-one else and his working of set pieces with Bennett has created so many goals. If he was confident to shoot more often he would be a serious contender.

BENNETT stand-out player in the first half of the season (LuaLua included) with 20-odd assists. Switching more centrally and being the focus of Norwich's attentions probably didn't help him but watching him in recent weeks he is quietly emerging as a better all-round footballer with confidence to make his own decisions in all areas of the pitch. His importance as a defender allowing the full backs to get forward is also crucial - he has energy to burn and then some.

BARNES last season's cameo showed promise and although some criticised him for being wasteful he is close to the golden 20 goal mark. Scored some great goals and some important goals and when they haven't gone in his head has never dropped. Works deep. Works wide. Works off Murray's shoulder. If this, still very young, man keeps progressing as he has this season we have a genuine multi-million pound talent on our hands.

MURRAY what is not to like. Scored some great goals and scored some duffers but when everyone was looking for a 20 goal striker he hit the target. Wins almost every header he goes for - holds it up and lays it off - wins penalties for fun (10 at least this season by my count) covers more ground than any forward I have seen at this level and has become one of the best defenders of set pieces at the club. If he could head the ball under the bar more often and if he could take penalties he would be leading the goalscoring charts by the same sort of distance that we are winning the league.

All that plus LuaLua (scared the life out of everyone he faced until they broke his leg) Noone (some great cameos to show what is to come) Wood (solved our penalty crisis).........................................

What a season. What a choice. Given that our success has ultimately been built on the stinginess of our defence, if I'd had to pick someone up to January/February it would probably have been elAbd (although seeing the mess we were in on Tuesday I might switch to Greer as the stand-out influence - if not performer - in defence). However, watching Murray score the goals to take us up AND become one of our best defenders I was finally persuaded by his performance at Oldham where he literally ran himself into the ground that this is a man who is giving everything for the cause.

So for me - Player of the Season is GLENN MURRAY..............(just!)

This. Could not have put it better myself.

Glenn Murray

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
It's Murray for me, he's been absolute class and no player has been more consistent imo.
But as this thread shows, there are seven or eight worthy contenders. At least!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Crofts won it last season, though it should have been Bennett in my view.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here