Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player of the season? Very tricky decision

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Bridcutt for me. He has quickly become my favourite player.

I've rated him from day one but I feel his recent performances have been nothing short of outstanding and he has actually driven us on to win games when we have not been at our fluent best. It is ESSENTIAL he signs a new contract, he has a massive future and is more important than Murray in my eyes.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Thinking of putting the boots back on Beachy ?

No thanks and sorry to say this BOF you are talking big time bollox.

El Abd was nothing more than a jobbing professional who was going nowhere and has seen the light with Gus - why Elphick can't learn is beyond me.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
No thanks and sorry to say this BOF you are talking big time bollox.

El Abd was nothing more than a jobbing professional who was going nowhere and has seen the light with Gus - why Elphick can't learn is beyond me.

Don't be sorry at all. Your opinion is yours and mine is mine. I can't force you to see sense.

BHAryan

BHAryan
Feb 8, 2011
Worthing
Personally for me its painter..not seen him have a bad game and even though murrays been scoring alot and winning every ball in the air and bridcutt, el-abd have been quality but consistency has won us the league

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Muzza for me! Put simply, take any other player out of the team and we manage, take Murray out and we struggle. Consistent, powerful, strong, fast and hopefully about to sign a new three year deal. We have won 15 penalties this season and I'm sure he's won nearly two thirds of them! Also has the art of winning a free-kick and relieving pressure on the defence better than any player I've seen in the stripes for the last 20 years.

Honourable mentions:

El-Abd: What a turnaround for the local lad from Egypt! Excellent power and timing, better heading and a real wind-up merchant;
Ankergren: Slightly wobbly start but his first few games were effectively his pre-season. Now an absolute must-starter. Fundamental to our style of play and his gamesmanship is second to none;
Bennett: Out of touch for a couple of games but the last two games have been the norm. On his day, the best all round player at the club;
Kishishev: The calming influence in midfield, help Bridcutt become the player he is;
Bridcutt: Standout performer in a lot of games. Only scored two goals but what a double! Superb;
Barnes: 1st full season, 17 goals and counting. A player with real promise;

Calderon, Greer, Painter, Noone, Dicker, Lua Lua, Sandaza and Wood have all contributed immeasurably too and I think that it all goes to show what an astonishing squad we have had these days. No bad for a "team of nobodies"!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It comes to something when your full back scores 7 in a season and yet barely gets a mention at PotS time.
The same applies to a striker who might well end up with 20 goals this season
Or the club captain, largely responsible for numerous 1-0 victories, and yet nowhere near the top 3.

For me, it's between:
Bennett
Murray
Ankegren
El Abd

You could make a case for any of them, but I'd give it to Bennett.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
For me, Murray and Painter. Murray gets all the plaudits (and deserves them, he is so classy), but Painter is a helluva player who just gets on with things in a quiet way - I am never worried if I see him on the ball. Both have grown as the season has gone on, and are amongst the best players I have ever seen in the stripes (in over 40 years of following the Albion).

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I'd probably go for Bennett but for me Greer has to be right up there too. He's been a massive part of enabling us to play the way we do out of defence, been involved in the build up to a number of goals with such passes and he's been an immense leader at the back bringing the best out of El-Abd and contributing to the 20 clean sheets this season.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I've been thinking about this most of the day, and it's a really tough one. For me 8 genuine contenders. The back five, Bennett, Bridcutt & Murray. And that's being harsh to Dicker who has also had a great season. And ill admit it although I've never been a huge fan - Barnes deserves a mention, as his goal tally is extremely healthy for a youngster making his way in the game.

If I had a gun to my head, I would go El-Abd who has been a rock most of the season, and has formed an excellent partnership with Greer who was badly missed last night.

Second would be Murray who when the mood suits is the best player in the league and a joy to watch.

3rd is Bridcutt who has frightening potential and could possibly play Premiership within eighteen months if he keeps developing at improving at his current rate.

Someone mentioned above voting for the whole team and I wouldn't be adverse to this as more than any side I have watched no one stands out, we have no weak links and we win and lose (rarely) as a team.

The spine of the back to back team were generally head and shoulders above:- Cullip, Chippy & Bobby Z. This team is very different and each individual has played a key role in achieving 90 points on 41 games and incredible feat.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
Amazing how it all changes throughout the season. Up to christmas, it would have been either Calderon, LuaLua or Bennett for me.

Looking back now, you could make a good shout for pretty much every single one of our starting line up: Ankergren, Painter, Calderon, El-Abd, Greer, Bennett, LuaLua, Bridcutt, Murray.

Overall, if I had a vote I would go with either El-Abd, Murray or Bridcutt, over the whole entire season. Bennett has been pivotal and is worth a shout too. I'm swaying towards El-Abd, he has been absolutely class and by far the most improved player. He had his doubters when he was being picked ahead of the Elf early season (me included) but he has been an absolute rock game in and game out and completely dependable.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Hardest ever choice. Could make an arguement for eight of them. I love Calders and think his contribution this season has been underestimated by many on here. However I think Bennett has provided so much that would be hard to replace, so I would give it to him marginally ahead of El Abd, Painter, Murray and Calders.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
What a luxurious position be in. I still remember the year Peter Smith won the player of the season, and the year when we were so shit we didn't vote for one. This years winner would have definitely earned it and can be justifiably proud of his efforts.

Good to see so many people appreciating the unsung heroes like Painter and Ankeragen, who has really come into his own in the last dozen games.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
The thread that does what it says on the title.
Really tricky decision. No right and wrong answers.

I'll be voting Bridcutt.

or maybe Murray

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here