Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player of the season? Very tricky decision

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Was chatting to some C blockers last night about Player of the Season and there was no real consensus. A number of player have had outstanding seasons (Murray, Bennett, Ankergren) - some have improved beyond all recognition (El Abd and perhaps Bridcutt). Others have quietly got on with their job and done it brilliantly (eg Painter, Greer, Calde). There has even been talk about simply regarding the "team" as the player of the season.

It is going to be very close this year. Lots of good candidates with different aspects of their game to admire.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Anyone could get it to be honest, there's not one player in the starting 11 who hasn't got a reason why they shouldn't win it.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
It's still Bennett for me. I think he's faded off the radar a little as he hasn't been quite so impressive since Christmas than he was before (apart from the last couple of matches) but I'm sure he has been responsible for more goals than anyone else on the team.

I think he just nudges it infront of Ankergren, El-Abd, Greer, Painter, Calderon, Bridcutt and Murray. I can't choose between a single one of them.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
With the season they have had I guess it's down to personal preference. I'd go for Muzza.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
They've all been great and very hard to choose. But simply for the sheer improvement in his game, for me it's El-Abd.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Murray or El-Abd for me. Murray not just for the goals that he has scored but his workrate in defence, holding the ball up, assists - all superb. El-Abd has been a rock in defence.

hshaw

Dec 30, 2010
hove
id have to say painter for his sheer consistency. el abd and bridcutt ave improved over the season and casper has been a life saver but i would have to stay with paints on this one

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Its true that many have a claim to be player of the season. Bennett, Murray, Ankergren, El abd, who would argue with any of them. But one player above all other has week in week out been super consistent. Hardly putting a foot wrong all season and a constant 7 out of ten every game. I give you Marcus Painter!!!

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Really tough one.
Gus wanted a tight, disciplined defence. We got one (well, with the occasional blip). El Abd was key to that, along with Ankegren.
Gus wanted a flexible team that could turn defence into attack quickly. He got it. Step forward Calde and Painter.
Gus wanted a midfield that could control a game, work hard to win and keep the ball, and set up chances. He got it. Led by Bennett and Bridcutt.
Gus wanted a 20-goal striker. He got one, and possibly two. Hats off to Murray and Barnes.
If pushed, my top 3 would be:
1 El Abd
2 Murray
3 Bennett

... but I may think differently tomorrow :jester:

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
For me (and seemingly Basil Fawlty above), it is one of El-Abd, Murray, Bennett or Bridcutt. Probably in that order with El-Abd just edging it. But quite honestly if it went to any of our regular starting 11/12 (ie those who have played 30+ games), I wouldn't have ANY complaints. I've never known a season like it, and it just underlines what a superb team Gus has formed.

Crazy timing, TSOP. :jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here