Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Plastics who work in Brighton

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

D

Deleted User X18H

I am working in Brighton for the first time in years . I am gobsmacked at the amount of plastic Premier League 'fans'

We have two Chelsea one from Telscombe the other Hollingdean Brighton both around 30, who admit to going to the Bridge once and never respectively. All kinds of Chelsea paraphernalia on their desks and screen savers.

And also one particularly odious Arsenal 'fan' complete with enanamel Arsenal badge on a silver chain. Lives in Hove about my age and was brought up he told me on Bristol Estate.

Asked him where do you normally sit at the Emirates? 'Oh never been, went to Highbury once'

'It’s Cesc this and WE need to get a more creative midfielder and it was so unfair we got booed off at the weekend! Was it? How do you know?

Do you go to Falmer on Saturday Tim? It doesn't hold very many does it?

They won't fill it every week will they?

What is the attraction to living 50+ miles away walking around in an Arsenal shirt but having no connection to the team whatsoever, in either locality or family connection?

It just does my head in.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I am working in Brighton for the first time in years . I am gobsmacked at the amount of plastic Premier League 'fans'

We have two Chelsea one from Telscombe the other Hollingdean Brighton both around 30, who admit to going to the Bridge once and never respectively. All kinds of Chelsea paraphernalia on their desks and screen savers.

And also one particularly odious Arsenal 'fan' complete with enanamel Arsenal badge on a silver chain. Lives in Hove about my age and was brought up he told me on Bristol Estate.

Asked him where do you normally sit at the Emirates? 'Oh never been, went to Highbury once'

'It’s Cesc this and WE need to get a more creative midfielder and it was so unfair we got booed off at the weekend! Was it? How do you know?

What is the attraction to living 50+ miles away walking around in an Arsenal shirt but having no connection to the team whatsoever, in either locality or family connection?

It just does my head in.

Everywhere has them, if I had a quid for every plastic I've met over the years I wouldn't be living here !

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Everywhere has them, if I had a quid for every plastic I've met over the years I wouldn't be living here !
This. Once i find out they never go to watch there team play i simply lose interest in talking to them. It's worse when they pile into a local boozer.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
This. Once i find out they never go to watch there team play i simply lose interest in talking to them. It's worse when they pile into a local boozer.

It's irritating I know, to hear people going on about players that they have never seen in the flesh is tedious but also laughable. No point in getting upset as they are the prats.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
It's worse when they pile into a local boozer.

That used to really annoy me too, until a mate and I started actually listening to them watching a game. It started a couple years back during a Liverpool v Man Utd match on the tellybox in our local and some of the utter utter shit and drivel coming out of their mouths was fantastically funny. We just sat there pissing ourselves laughing most of the time. Another good one is when a top 4 team are on playing one of the unfashionable sides, say Wigan for instance, we start "supporting" that team just to annoy them.

Last edited:

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Isn't that how football economy works though? Using the Asia market for example, they are crazy for Liverpool and Man U and only get to see them on tours once a year. So is that one billion plastic fans in the world then, and only 1% of football fans are true fans?

Considering Brighton has an extremely high population of migrant workers who came to Uni and never left, the number of local fans who see Brighton regularly is how many exactly?

You should spend your energy into re-educating them and take them to a Brighton game. The love will soon come.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
It never ceases to amaze me that almost all the people that say they support a premiership team have never actually been there.
When you ask why they don't go, they almost always trot out the old excuse, "it's too expensive".

These people are NOT football supporters and they don't really support that team (whichever team it may be). It's just bragging rights down the local pub and a replica shirt, and no more than that.
And the drivel they spout about "their team" is only repeats of what's been said on the TV or radio.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
I have no problems pointing out the error of their ways whenever i talk to these people. I never understand why people don't grow out of glory hunting by a certain age. Kids you can understand with all the glamour and wanting to be associated with success but grown men always makes me sick! There are many where i work. Strangely now though for some reason some of them have bought Albion season tickets...

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
That used to really annoy me too, until a mate and I started actually listening to them watching a game. It started a couple years back during a Liverpool v Man Utd match on the tellybox in our local and some of the utter utter shit and drivel coming out of their mouths was fantastically funny. We just sat there pissing ourselves laughing most of the time. Another good one is when a top 4 team are on playing one of the unfashionable sides, say Wigan for instance, we start "supporting" that team just to annoy them.
It also make me laugh when there team loses and two minutes after the final whistle they are laughing and joking like the match never took place. Even now touching 40 i get pissed off with a defeat and that normally lasts until we play our next game..

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I think it depends on where you live and peer pressure from your mates. Some people are glory hunters and follow certain teams so they can say their team did this, or that, or whatever. I much prefer the emotional roller coaster of supporting Brighton.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
"What football team do you support?"

"Brighton and Hove Albion."

"Ha Ha. No I mean proper team...you know which premier league team do you support?"

This drives me crazy!

Curly5194

Jun 20, 2011
Horsham
I have absolutely no interest in anything Premier League whatsoever. I find the games boring to watch and the money amongst the top 5 or 6 have ruined the game completely. Give me a FL game every time. More passion, more aggression, the game means more to the players - not "how much am I taking home this week?". Take CMS as an example - I'm sure he could have earned more money elsewhere, but he decided he wanted to play for us because he liked what he saw and the way we play football. Doesn't that make a refreshing change!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
What is worse for me is that my friends used to have little or no interest in the Albion, but now that we have moved to a new stadium, friends who had previously shown little or no interest are going to games and even buying season tickets!

But this thread is about plastic Premier League fans. If your friends buy season tickets and end up supporting us then surely that is a good thing?

How else can our fanbase grow?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I used to take great delight, on a weekly basis, asking THE Man U fan in our office (yes, there was only one!)

"Who are United playing this week?"

"Erm, not too sure"

Then, I would tell him who his team were playing. :smile:

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003

It just does my head in.

Does my head in too. Absolutely fing clueless. They are not real football supporters whatsoever. However if they willing to pay their money to come and watch the Albion I don't mind. The more money we get in the better.

But this thread is about plastic Premier League fans. If your friends buy season tickets and end up supporting us then surely that is a good thing?

How else can our fanbase grow?

That is of course true, but it is frustrating to see them act as though they have followed the club through thick and thin. One bad season and they'll forget all about the Albion again.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
There are proper loads of Chelsea fans in Littlehampton. I have seen them several times on Chelsea matchdays at the station, in all their replica shirts, presumaby heading to the game.

Obviously, I don't think we can them plastics if they do go to games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here