Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Picture and and Letter page 10 of the Argus........

D

Deleted User X18H

..if the sender lives in Falmer why is he showing a view from Bevendean (I think) I t does however show the distance from Falmer Village to the site. And another thing if Falmer and its strange residents dont want to be in the built up conurbation of Brighton and Hove they can give up all the benefits that come with it including using Stammer Park.

Last edited:

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
It's an aerial photo that is headlined 'Stadium would destroy this view' ... not sure how many of Joe Public will be flying past to really appreciate the change!

I know the Argus have a duty to both sides of the argument but the headline is frankly ridiculous. The angle of the picture doesn't show the relief of the area and the fact that the Stadium would be in the bottom of the valley.

:thud:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Indeed, it's a ridiculous picture but then the letter is from some bint at the farm.

It also mentions that some University of Brighton buildings msut be destroyed to make way for the stadium. I'm not sure what the point of saying that was, seeing as that agreement between the uni and the council/club was made nearly two years ago and is the university are doing very well out of it.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I don't get the Argus up here :(
Anyone do a cut and paste job? Is it on their website yet?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
"...the hamlet of Falmer."

FFS. The last time anyone but an anti-stadium NIMBY used the word 'hamlet' was in 1732.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
bhafc99 said:
"...the hamlet of Falmer."

FFS. The last time anyone but an anti-stadium NIMBY used the word 'hamlet' was in 1732.
Besides, it's NOT a hamlet - they're LYING again. Ungodly though it's Straw Dogs-style inhabitants might be, the last time I fed the ducks, Falmer had a church.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
To me that photo just proves that there's nothing wrong with building on that field.

Forground - Chuffing great university
left of picture - Railway line and main south coast trunk road
Top of picture - Falmer village

So it's already developed on three sides, hardly an AONB!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
^ What he said.

A true disruption of an AONB would be to build a massive grandstand and sports complex right in the very heart of the South Downs, but of course that could never happen...unless you own Goodwood Race Course. And have a lot of money and influence....

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Pavilionaire said:
^ What he said.

A true disruption of an AONB would be to build a massive grandstand and sports complex right in the very heart of the South Downs, but of course that could never happen...unless you own Goodwood Race Course. And have a lot of money and influence....

Exactly. Goodwood genuinely IS in a beautiful spot, and by Baker's/LDC's criteria the buildings would be ruining it.

However, it of course doesn't ruin it, but makes for one of the country's (if not the world's) greatest and most famous sporting landmarks.

Our stadium might not quite be in that category, but next to the A27 and university buildings, and in a partially sunken spot, it would have a bloody sight less impact than Goodwood.

And if you're discussing this, you have to come back to Arsenal. There is some serious stuff coming out in the wash now. Some us speculated on here at the time quite how they managed to get Ashburton Grove as easily as they did, compared to us, when on paper it affected far more people.

Now questions are being asked about tickets for councillors etc. But even if wrongdoing is proved, they've got the fucker built.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
A different view

Regarding V Lenihan's comments about and aerial photo of the Falmer stadium site (Letters, August 17), wouldn't it be a shame to dash the hopes of many thousands of people who are looking forward to enjoying the benefits of a community stadium just to preserve a view only an occasional itinerant flier can sample?

Martin C Costin, Chamberlaine's Farmhouse, Ringmer

Well said Mr Costin. :clap:

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/letters/argusletters/display.var.887079.0.a_different_view.php

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Given that the author of the letter will be one of the people presumably MOST affected by the Stadium, you can appreciate his views. However, those views will have been exhaustively examined during the Public Inquiry. The photo is, in fact, quite a good one from the perspective of the pro-Falmer lobby, as it illustrates just how close to the stadium site are the University buildings, the A27 and the railway line. Sometimes I think the Argus publishes stuff simply to elicit a valid and obviously very sensible response from those in favour of the stadium.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Curious Orange said:
Quite ridiculous to point out that an aerial view will be "ruined", are any of us likely to see that view. Of course not
Don't forget the bats though. It could ruin their aerial view. Or sonar wave.
Or something.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Easy 10 said:
Don't forget the bats though. It could ruin their ... sonar wave.

Is that anything like a Mexican wave? I'd love to see a group of little bats doing one of those - I think it would look brilliant.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Seriously, looking at the photo, the western side of the field (which, as Mr/Ms Lenihan correctly notes, is the site of the stadium itself) will almost certainly be developed anyway. To quote from the Brighton & Hove local plan: "In the event that the site proves to be unsuitable for a stadium, the site will be allocated for Class B1 research and development use but only as part of a planned expansion of the higher education establishments."

I would imagine that if the actions of LDC result in the Stadium NOT being built, there will be a significant desire on the part of B&H City Council to get their own back by facilitating the expansion of Brighton University onto this land.

In their desire to defeat the stadium at any costs, the likes of de Vecchi and Baker are ignoring the fact that instead of a state of the art sporting facility, there will instead be (in all likelihood) a rather ugly collection of university buildings - hopefully housing research into some particularly nasty tropical diseases :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here