Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Physics a new dimension ?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I was recently on local radio where the topic of conversation was ufo,s in the disscussion it was agreed that most 'sightings' are in fact false however it was felt that maybe 2/3 % of sightings were genuine,the topic moved on to space travel and the speed it takes. My point was that ufo,s travelling in space must have some form mega propulsion to travel the vast distances. The 'experts' went on to say that they would have developed a new dimension to physcis to enable to travel. How can that be ? Surely a pint of water is a pint of water and you put one pint in a pint bottle ? :wave: :thumbsup:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Maybe they could manage to create an improbability drive, a la the one in Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Maybe they could manage to create an improbability drive, a la the one in Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy.

That was the Bistromatic Drive....

Paralell/Multi dimensions do exist in String Theory but its too long winded to explain :shootself

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Go on, give it a shot.

Im a bit shaky on the exactitudes but one of the ways of explaining it is to think of mushrooms. The actual Mushroom is the " flower" as it were, of the mycelium web underneath the soil. A mushroom can form at any point along this web so then try to visualise a loose web of molecules which extends between dimensions and in theory, an object,being etc can flower in one dimension or another from the same web. I'm going for a lie down now...

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Im a bit shaky on the exactitudes but one of the ways of explaining it is to think of mushrooms. The actual Mushroom is the " flower" as it were, of the mycelium web underneath the soil. A mushroom can form at any point along this web so then try to visualise a loose web of molecules which extends between dimensions and in theory, an object,being etc can flower in one dimension or another from the same web. I'm going for a lie down now...

Porcini or shitake?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
İbrahim Tatlıses;3265796 said:
When travelling at the speed of light the distance between two points is zero ....
Eh? You're going to have to explain that. Surely the distance between two points is the same regardless of the speed at which you're travelling?

İbrahim Tatlıses;3265796 said:
When travelling at the speed of light the distance between two points is zero,

Really? So why does light take a few minutes to get to us from the sun?

If i was to travel at the speed of light, and switch on my headlamps would it make a diffrence ?

Actually this was something Einstein discussed, the answer is, it's all relative. Doesn't really help sorry. Over rated that bloke I reckon.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Light travels at something like 180,000 kilometres a second. The nearest star to our own is 4 light years away, that means it takes light, travelling at 180,000km/s FOUR YEARS to reach us from it.

So, if we could construct a spaceship that could travel at light speed it would still take a round trip of 8 years to our nearest star.

If aliens have discovered the secret of travel at, or near, or even more than, the speed of light, why would they travel such vast distances to duck about, kidnapping fat rural Americans, and being genrally mysterious? Would they not think "f*** me, that was some jet-lag after that bastard flight" land in Times square and go "Hellooo we're finally here!"??

Taking Occam's Razor to the problem of aliens etc, meaning that the simple explanation is almost always the most beleivable - there can be but two conclusions, the universe is truly empty apart from us, and is indifferent to our puny attempts at understanding it. Second, there is life out there, but it is f***ing astronomically far away, and will never have the time or the technology to check out an insignificant little piece of rock circling a red dawrf star.

Life is a meaningless joke, let's get laughing

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
İbrahim Tatlıses;3265840 said:
When an entity reaches velocity "c", the speed of light, it stops moving through the dimension of time, even though everything else continues to whizz by.

In other words if you were in a hypothetical spaceship travelling at light speed, your journey would be instantaneous even though perhaps millions of years may have passed.

Theoretically if you exceeded the speed of light, you would go BACKWARDS in time.
You haven't explained why the DISTANCE is zero. If a star is four light years from earth it's still going to take a photon four years to travel the distance from the star to here - ergo the distance is not zero even though the photon is moving at the speed of light. Ditto any lightspeed space craft. You're getting it a bit confused with Relativity and the experience of the observer in the spacecraft to whom time will indeed have slowed down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here