Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peterborough United have to be top insists George Boyd

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
BBC Sport - Football - Peterborough United have to be top insists George Boyd

BBC

Second place is not good enough for promotion-chasing Peterborough United says winger George Boyd.

Posh are three points adrift of League One leaders Brighton with the two teams set to face off a week on Saturday.

And while their current position would see them promoted, Boyd told BBC Radio Cambridgeshire his side expects more.

"We want to win the league. It's no good being second, it's OK at this stage of the season but we want to be winning it," he said.

Gary Johnson's side have been in free scoring form as they look to bounce back to the Championship at the first time of asking.

But despite notching 28 league goals they have the most porous defence in League One, conceding 22 times.

We score for fun, we concede for fun and it's goals, goals, goals down at the home of football at the moment

It has made for high scoring affairs, including the thrilling 5-4 win over Swindon on Saturday, and Boyd, who was on target against the Robins, knows they must address their defensive issues.

"We've had a few shaky performances the last few weeks but we're still up and around there," he said.

"We're working hard this week on our defensive unit because we know we're going to score goals.

"It's about being tight as a unit and to keep scoring at the other end."

Boyd's strike at the weekend was his first in eight matches after scoring five in his previous eight outings.

"I think I jinxed myself. I said I'd score 15 before Christmas and I just didn't score after that for like seven games," he added.

"I'll keep my mouth shut next time and hopefully keep scoring."

Gary Johnson's men travel to 21st-placed Brentford on Saturday.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Worst defence in the lg = Don't deserve to be anywhere near the top. It is slightly scarey though that if they sort their defence out they will be brilliant. Though maybe it's their whole team that can't defend and the midfield bomb forward but dont track back? In which case it's a hard problem to solve...

Cecil

Feb 8, 2008
Heathfield
Worst defence in the lg = Don't deserve to be anywhere near the top. It is slightly scarey though that if they sort their defence out they will be brilliant. Though maybe it's their whole team that can't defend and the midfield bomb forward but dont track back? In which case it's a hard problem to solve...

Maybe ask the midfielders to be a bit more disciplined??

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It should be a cracking game. I think it's going to be a bit of a thrashing for one or other of the teams, maybe 4-1 or 4-2. Peterborough have the best goalscoring record in the league, but we're not too shabby in that department either(despite all the moans about not having a 20+goals a season striker), being the fourth highest scorers in the division. Some more stats:

Peterborough highest home scorers-21 goals versus Brighton fourth highest away scorers-9goals.
Peterborough conceded second highest number of goals at home-12 versus Brighton conceded second lowest number of goals away from home-3

Either our defense is going to hold out and we'll keep taking advantage of their shoddy defending, picking them off at will on the counter OR, their attack is going to overwhelm us to such an extent that the defense crumbles and peterborough pile up the goals. Potentially a classic.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The best defence in the league v the worst defence in the league. We are going to muller them. :thumbsup:

El Abd and Greer will be ROCKS.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Maybe ask the midfielders to be a bit more disciplined??

That's Gary Twatting Johnsons job and infact i hope they do keep leaking goals. Peterboro away will be very interesting (although could be very very tough). On paper our defence has been excellent and should limit their goalscoring as well as our attack being very good and should open up their defence...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Can see us playing Murray up top on his own and us trying to win the midfield battle.

I'd def do this - as it proved v successful last season under Gus...

Benno Sparrow Kish Dicker Lua-Lua

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Can't help thinking that teams attacking us is pretty much IDEAL.
If we get our flicky-flicky going, they could be in serious trouble.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
My Posh supporting mate told me that they are terrified of what we may do to them.

He said that the strikers have done well but that Swindon were dreadful at the back this year as well as Oldham who they stuffed even when 3-0 ddown.

He said the real problem for them is the fact that against well-organised sides who may be poor up front - is that they really struggle. He said that they have played against 3-4 sides this year who have beat them conprehensively and kept a clean sheet or conceeded one.

He said that everyone thinks they are mustard up top- but thats becuase every other week or so they stuff someone. Everyone just misses the shit results they get inbetween.

Not my opinion - i think this will be a huge test in front 12-13,000 at a rocking London Road.

Certainly gonna ba great day out.

Southernposh

Oct 20, 2010
Strikers win games. I would be fairly confident in their boots.

It is certainly a mouthwatering tie, but then as a Posh fan any game against whoever is at the moment feels like that.
We just never know what to expect...other than goals goals goals :laugh:
very few would argue that we have the best strickeforce in the league however we conceeded far too many.
There is no doubt our attacking nature that leads us exposed however there have been a few, what you might decribe as unlucky slips and of the like that we have been puniched for and these are more freak incidents that can happen to any defender and hopefully we will see less of them.
I hope the game lives up to its expectation.
Enjoy everyone, and if anyone see's the car thats got both a Brighton and Posh shirt on display give us a toot as yes I live down here.... Should be interesting journey with my out and out Brighton mate.

Roll on January and my home, away game !!!! :laugh:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here