Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peter Ward, I am surprised

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Being a bit bored at the moment, I have been looking at the Albion top goal scorers since the war.
Bobby Zamora comes out top with a goal for game ratio of 1.6
Peter Ward has 2.3
But what I found surprising was that two players with a better strike rate were in today’s world midfielders.

Dave Sexton 1.8 and Albert Munday 1.8

Four other strikers also had a better strike rate than Wardy since the war.
I must say that I watched all these players, but Peter for me was still the most exciting.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
"He turned so quickly his number appeared on his chest"

There WAS only the one.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Being a bit bored at the moment, I have been looking at the Albion top goal scorers since the war.
Bobby Zamora comes out top with a goal for game ratio of 1.6
Peter Ward has 2.3
But what I found surprising was that two players with a better strike rate were in today’s world midfielders.

Dave Sexton 1.8 and Albert Munday 1.8

Four other strikers also had a better strike rate than Wardy since the war.
I must say that I watched all these players, but Peter for me was still the most exciting.

I dont remember the latter 2 but when Wardy got the ball when he was at his peak the feeling in that crowd was unrivalled in all the 40 odd years I`ve been going to the Albion. Electric doesn`t do it justice.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I dont remember the latter 2 but when Wardy got the ball when he was at his peak the feeling in that crowd was unrivalled in all the 40 odd years I`ve been going to the Albion. Electric doesn`t do it justice.

100% agree that’s why I find it surprising because in my old mind every time he got the ball around the penalty area he scored. I must be careful I don't want to be branded, as one of those old guys who always thinks the players of their time were better than they are now.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
100% agree that’s why I find it surprising because in my old mind every time he got the ball around the penalty area he scored. I must be careful I don't want to be branded, as one of those old guys who always thinks the players of their time were better than they are now.

Well rest assured Mr Headband, sad old gits we may be, but WARDY was better than they are now.

Jul 5, 2003
I seem to remember that, around the time that Wardy played for England U23s, he had a bad respiritory problem that affected him quite badly for the best part of a year. He still played during this period although his goals dried up for a while. Also in his figures will be his games for us that he made on his return (after Cloughie had ruined his confidence at Forest).

Try doing the figures for the period where he played for us in Div 3 and Div 2. I bet they come out similar to BZ's if not even better. After all, Zamora only played for us in those divisions and his goals scoring record has not been as good in the top flight either.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I seem to remember that, around the time that Wardy played for England U23s, he had a bad respiritory problem that affected him quite badly for the best part of a year. He still played during this period although his goals dried up for a while. Also in his figures will be his games for us that he made on his return (after Cloughie had ruined his confidence at Forest).

Try doing the figures for the period where he played for us in Div 3 and Div 2. I bet they come out similar to BZ's if not even better. After all, Zamora only played for us in those divisions and his goals scoring record has not been as good in the top flight either.

His figure does improve if you remove the loan spell to 2.2 ratio, but to break it down further is hard because I need to know the amout of games played in each division. The figures I am using is for career with the Albion. But you may well have a good point.

I seem to remember that, around the time that Wardy played for England U23s...

I had forgotten all about that game at the GG until you just reminded me of it. 18,000 for an U-23 game v. Norway - the only international I've ever been to! I was so proud to see Wardy getting a hat-trick (I think) wearing an England shirt. Will that ever happen again ??

macky

Dec 28, 2004
I had forgotten all about that game at the GG until you just reminded me of it. 18,000 for an U-23 game v. Norway - the only international I've ever been to! I was so proud to see Wardy getting a hat-trick (I think) wearing an England shirt. Will that ever happen again ??

i emember that game there wee some good players playing that night england scored six if i rembere right

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Murray will end up with a good goal ratio if he continues scoring as he is, but due to his LAZINESS he (along with other LAZY players like Bergkamp, Anelka, Berbatov etc) will never go down in the pantheon of greats, due to their unwillingness to chase down pointless throw ins.

What a shame.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
1975-76 (div 3) 8 apps, 8 goals
1976-77 (div 3) 46 apps, 32 goals
1977-78 (div 2) 39 apps, 14 goals
1978-79 (div 2) 27 apps, 10 goals

League only

No! I'm sure he only scored a paltry SIX goals in the 75/76 season, playing in the last eight games after making his debut.

We all agree, Peter Ward is magic, is magic, is magic.....

:ascarf:

Super Neils Sash Army

in a league above you.
Jun 5, 2008
Who's up Peter Ward?Who's up Peter Ward....Alan Mullery,Alan Mullery........
Wright,Bright,Johnson,The Don,Johnny Byrne.....You weeds can only dream of quality players like this!:bigwave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here