Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

people who know bout europe n shit innit bruv.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
yo

i am currently preparing for a presentation on whether britain should continue its special relationship with usa, or whether it would benefit us to persue an interest in EUROPE.

anyway....

does anyone know of any great documents or bits of info that basically sum up the pros and cons of being part of europe.

im soley focusing on us in europe and trying to come to a conclusion of some sort.

please do not suggest google as its GHEY

cheers m'dears. x

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
As luck would have it I have my Phd thesis in front of me here on that very subject!

*ahem*

(rustles papers)

Pros:Having a blue flag with yellow stars on your numberplate.

Cons: Being in a club with all the other workshy goons and having to pay for the priveledge.

Any use?

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
mejonaNO12 aka riskit said:
yo

i am currently preparing for a presentation on whether britain should continue its special relationship with usa, or whether it would benefit us to persue an interest in EUROPE.

Don't we do both at the moment? It would be a bit silly to give up either.

There you go, presentation done.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Re: Re: people who know bout europe n shit innit bruv.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Don't we do both at the moment? It would be a bit silly to give up either.

There you go, presentation done.

:love:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
For an in depth analysis of pan European relationships and cross border competition I suggest the book "Going For Gold" by Henry Kelly.

The heat is on, the time is right,
It's time for you, for you to play the game.
'Cause people are coming, everyone's trying,
Trying to be the best that they can,
When they're going for... going for... Gold.

Wonderful stuff

Richard Whiteley

Sep 24, 2003
ask Strike

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Bevendean Hillbilly said:
As luck would have it I have my Phd thesis in front of me here on that very subject!

*ahem*

(rustles papers)

Pros:Having a blue flag with yellow stars on your numberplate.

Cons: Being in a club with all the other workshy goons and having to pay for the priveledge.

Any use?

when having my MOT was told by the garage that the space to the left of the numberplate had to have the euro flag on it (if anything), and not the Pug badge that my plate has
aparanly my plate is illegal, but they didnt fail the MOT cos of it tho :D

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
yo

anyway....

does anyone know of any great documents or bits of info that basically sum up the pros and cons of being part of europe.

im soley focusing on us in europe and trying to come to a conclusion of some sort.

please do not suggest google as its GHEY

cheers m'dears. x

Jeez, don't they have libraries at uni's anymore? Or computers? If you're too lazy to research the presentation yourself, why don't you just not do it at all? Or make it up on the day. Don't bother with this half-arsed bollocks. Either do it or don't do it.:)

ywhether britain should continue its special relationship with usa, or whether it would benefit us to persue an interest in EUROPE.

Not sure what you mean by 'pursue an interest in Europe' - it accounts for the largest share of our trade, most of our friendly diplomatic contacts, pretty much all of our collaborative political relationships ... whereas the special relationship with the US is rhetoric only.

Surely the question should be, should we continue our close working relationship with Europe, or pursue an interest in the USA?

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
Re: Re: people who know bout europe n shit innit bruv.

fatbadger said:
Not sure what you mean by 'pursue an interest in Europe' - it accounts for the largest share of our trade, most of our friendly diplomatic contacts, pretty much all of our collaborative political relationships ... whereas the special relationship with the US is rhetoric only.

Surely the question should be, should we continue our close working relationship with Europe, or pursue an interest in the USA?

its a fair point - after all in August we only exported £2.5bn worth of goods and services to the US - 50% more than any other country and just about the only country we had a positive trade balance with - £5bn so far this year, as opposed to Germany for instance where we owe them £8bn this year. So screw the US - after all we have no interests there.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
It's got to be a good idea to stay best mates with the guys that spend trillions of dollars a year on defense surely?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I would prefer us to develop a far closer relationship with all the Commonwealth countries, they total about a quarter of the Worlds' population, granted that most of that is in India. Look at the potential, Canada, India, South Africa, big chunks of the remainder of Africa and the Caribbean, most speak English so there is little room for misunderstanding on the grounds of language and nearly all play cricket and drink tea. I have met people from all of those countries and would trust them more readily than our earstwhile cousins across the big pond or the surrender monkeys across the channel.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Gully said:
I would prefer us to develop a far closer relationship with all the Commonwealth countries, they total about a quarter of the Worlds' population, granted that most of that is in India. Look at the potential, Canada, India, South Africa, big chunks of the remainder of Africa and the Caribbean, most speak English so there is little room for misunderstanding on the grounds of language and nearly all play cricket and drink tea. I have met people from all of those countries and would trust them more readily than our earstwhile cousins across the big pond or the surrender monkeys across the channel.

Sounds very colonial to me . Be careful of all those fusywussys though !

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Not colonial at all, much of the Commonwealth is part of the developing World, surely it would make economic sense to increase our ties with them. Add in the likes of Australia, New Zealand and Canada and it could be a very useful agreement for all concerned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here